Crestliner boats….any good?

limeyangler

I just bought a new Crestliner Commnader 1850, only had it out twice so far but all is good. Great performance with 150hp, I maxed out. looks like a very well put together boat inside and out, lots of options. only downside was that it came with a Mercury. Not my first choice as ive always had Yamaha but Yamaha was a lot more money and I doubt mercury makes motors to break down so ill try trusting them. Added a Yamaha kicker though.

Edited by krawler

I just bought a new Crestliner Commnader 1850, only had it out twice so far but all is good. Great performance with 150hp, I maxed out. looks like a very well put together boat inside and out, lots of options. only downside was that it came with a Mercury. Not my first choice as ive always had Yamaha but Yamaha was a lot more money and I doubt mercury makes motors to break down so ill try trusting them. Added a Yamaha kicker though.

This is exactly my issue! I want a Yammy on it but the dealer is saying it will be $3000 more….what the hell!!! Might have to go with a G3…they look good too.

There is a reason yamaha motors cost more.

Simon, check the transom on the Crestliner to ensure that it is solid and dry.

FishnSled runs a Fishhawk and I think it has been a very good boat for him. He should chime in on this thread.

I know he recently had the transom replaced as they don't seal the top of the transom at the factory. Easy fix if caught soon enough. Remove the metal cap on the transom and put in a rubber seal along the top. Re-attach the metal cap and it should be good for some time

HH

Crestliner makes a very solid boat. Yamaha doesn't make their hulls, they are contracted out. I love my 22 year old Mercs, 115HP and 15HP kicker. Never had any real serious issue. Yamahas are very great engines too. Today it is the GM vs. Ford debate as far as power plants go. Make a choice in engines based on the marine dealer close to you that will service it. Mercury isn't serviced by all dealers or marine guys today because they have too many Merc specific tools needed and are expensive tools to buy. I would think based on your location you won't want to tow the boat a few hundred K's to get dealer warranty service.

Crestliner makes a very solid boat. Yamaha doesn't make their hulls, they are contracted out. I love my 22 year old Mercs, 115HP and 15HP kicker. Never had any real serious issue. Yamahas are very great engines too. Today it is the GM vs. Ford debate as far as power plants go. Make a choice in engines based on the marine dealer close to you that will service it. Mercury isn't serviced by all dealers or marine guys today because they have too many Merc specific tools needed and are expensive tools to buy. I would think based on your location you won't want to tow the boat a few hundred K's to get dealer warranty service.

they service both yamahas and Mercs. And I already do tow my stuff and buy my stuff 100's of Kms away because the dealers in this town are a bunch of asshats stuck in the glory days of when the mill was open, they don't move much beyond their inner circle….guess it keeps the bloodline pure though….lol.

Speaking of bloodlines simon.... j/k

What dealership is that just up the road from vermillion bay? I was told they make nice boats.

Ive riden in crestliners, never owned one. But I like them. Im sure they would suite your needs without breaking the bank.

Lotsa guys use them on the river here and on rainy lake, might be a stretch but Id think that means they a good quality sturdy boats

Are lookking at a new or used boat? Crestliner had a recall due to insufficient floatation foam. Buyers lost some of their storage space when the dealers added additional foam.

If it is brander new model then you should okay. If it is an older boat then you may want to check that it has the foam added.

I have a Crestliner fish hawk, bought it new 12 years ago, maxed out the HP with Yamaha,

Solid combo !

There was a floatation foam recall on the boat,

Also a soft spot on the cockpit floor, Creatliner took care of both issues and they were awesome to deal with.

The above work was done by Proctor Marine in Simcoe, also top notch service, probably the best marine dealer I have ever dealt with .

they service both yamahas and Mercs. And I already do tow my stuff and buy my stuff 100's of Kms away because the dealers in this town are a bunch of asshats stuck in the glory days of when the mill was open, they don't move much beyond their inner circle….guess it keeps the bloodline pure though….lol.

Then you have the best of both worlds as in both Merc and Yamaha service. If I had a choice today I would go with a Yammy. Please don't tell the guys on the Merc Forum. Only for the fact I might have a problem with my Merc and wouldn't get service where I might be. Then again if it was a major problem I would just tow it home.

Having said that my engine block and cylinders are produced by Yamaha exclusively for Mercury for my year engines. I wouldn't buy the boat just because it is a Mercury. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. For that much more money I would get the Mercury.

I love spending other guys money, boat shopping is exciting.

They are a real nice boat Simon.

As for the yammy. Theres always the ,throw the yammy on, or I walk. The least they can do is give you a 50% knock down on the yammy. Then again, they might just say ok. DEAL.

Then you have the best of both worlds as in both Merc and Yamaha service. If I had a choice today I would go with a Yammy. Please don't tell the guys on the Merc Forum. Only for the fact I might have a problem with my Merc and wouldn't get service where I might be. Then again if it was a major problem I would just tow it home.

Having said that my engine block and cylinders are produced by Yamaha exclusively for Mercury for my year engines. I wouldn't buy the boat just because it is a Mercury. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. For that much more money I would get the Mercury.

I love spending other guys money, boat shopping is exciting.

I thought you had mariners?

Well they might have made 2 good ones lol....

Just spend some time around an ocean and see how many of the black engines you see. Almost all yamahas.

S.

Actually the E-TEC's and especially the G2 are now catching up and will probably take over in another 5-7 years.