G'Bye Mate

Beans

When I was new to fishing and this board, even though he had a way of rubbing people the wrong way at times, he was always helpful and supportive of my relentless questions. He taught me a lot about carp and steelhead. And he always replied in my threads with encouragement.

Sad news. I knew his health had been failing. At least where he is now, those issues are gone. Hope your fishing your dream spot up there Steve!

I fished with Steve a few times, the first time we went carp fishing he was in one spot and I was 40' away, he was out fishing me 8 fish to 1 and I suggested we switch spots to see if I could at least make the fish caught close, after we switched spots he started catching fish where I was and I wasn't having much luck, he ended up out fishing me 13-1, he supplied all the bait , I figured it was his lucky day.

RIP Steve

• 1 month later...

I had been thinking about you Photoz and so came back to OFC to read a comment of yours or a post.....this was not the news I expected to see.

Photoz became my friend - a very true friend and somewhat of a protector. He and I communicated every morning via email for 6 years. I had taken a wrong turn and found myself yet again in a mess. Photoz was there for me, would ask the hard questions which forced me to look and see the deception in my life, he taught me to be on guard, and above all he never once violated my trust. And Photoz, I'll always remember the time we fished for carp together but mostly I will cherish our emails which show how much you cared for me.

My story with Photoz began the day he reached out to me in a private message in answer to a post I made on this site. (Back then I was known as Chromehen and then Twilight.) His message to me went something like this; "What kind of idiot are you....can't you see you are being used!"

That pure honesty drew me to him and he remained my confidant and the truest person in my life when there was nothing pure and true about it - including myself.

Photoz, I know that the Lord brought us together in order that I would have firsthand experience in seeing that I wasn't so damaged that I could never trust. Our friendship was only for a short season yet it was enough time for me to get back on my feet. You were dependable, reliable and true....exactly the male example I needed. Thank you for your patience because I have come to see how truly lost I was.

I will never forget you. The Ultimate Straight Shooter has revealed all truth to you and so I have comfort knowing that you now see how much I did care for you and why I had to stop the emails. Your no nonsense approach helped me to finally do what I had always wanted to - and that was to read the Bible. I now know truth. Thank you Photoz! I hope I will see you again...I truly do.

• 1 year later...

Like many who have already written before me I too will miss Steve and will remember him for being a passionate fisherman and outdoorsman, a photographer, a fighter, and a friend.

Between '05 and '07 Steve and I exchanged close to 300 e-mails about everything from fishing to family life. He was among the first people that I'd met in person off these forums when I was a teenager just getting serious about fishing, and Steve (along with Ron from Peterborough) introduced me to Carp fishing. Him and I also went on dozens of trips together chasing Salmon in the Ganny (albeit with far fewer catches hah), trout (in Whitecastle, he loved to try for them there), perch on the ice (He always brought his Vexilar, I would freeze my ass off), and even white suckers in Beaverton. But of course his favorite fish to catch was Carp.

For some time Steve became something of a grandfather figure in my life, someone I could rant to freely about teenage woes, and someone who could ask me for help with their computer or email.

I know that he had persevered through multiple bouts of cancer through the years, but his spirit seemed to be indestructible the entire time I kept in touch with him. I'd always admired that about him. It's truly unfortunate that he did not get to enjoy his retirement years.

RIP old friend.

NXS9PJ4.jpg

RhWpytj.jpg

Edited by grilw