Hi guys,

I just realized today that it will be two weeks and I'll be on our annual fishing trip. Time flies when you're having fun being overwhelmed at work. This year we'll be heading to Horwood Lake Lodge. Thought I would use my break to pose a general question on the forum...

I know there are a few here that are familiar with Horwood and might be able to provide me with a few tips for walleye. Successful strategies/patterns etc.? The first day we'll be there will be the last day of the sanctuaries on the lake, but I'd be interested to know where exactly the boundaries are ahead of time. Anything else anyone can think to help me with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

My brother stay there for a week every year, he has a buddy with a cottage on Horwood. He tells me that Pickereyes can be caught all day long on a jig and a minnow, that's it! They set minnow traps to collect their own... can catch them off their dock, jig and minnow.

HH

I stayed there for a week maybe 5 years ago at the start of summer. Nice camp, great boats. I suggest traveling down the bay where you start to hit the 20-40 FOW mark, basically the area near all the cottages: 48.033159, -82.228793. There are a bunch of spots in that general area you can try - shoals, island points etc.

There are some spots closer to camp. One spot that had some water flowing into the lake was a good producer. I think it was here: 48.047075, -82.205115

The area called "The Barrel" should be good as well: 47.977815, -82.291814

Although, I just realized you are going much earlier in the season than I did. You may have to travel a bit if the Walleye are still coming in from their spawning grounds, which could be in the south end of the lake where all the rivers are coming in and/or the north end where the dam is [wherever the sanctuary is, is a good bet!]. Hopefully they have moved in already, which I have a feeling will be the case given the warm temps we are seeing.

Edited by adempsey

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm assuming the lodge owners will put us on some fish, but it's always good to have a few other spots to check out.

As for the jig-minnow, sounds easy enough. I'll make sure I have plenty of both!

mid-June this year, the fish should be well on their way to spreading out into their summer haunts, though they will likely be shallow, shouldn't have to go deeper than 20. I have no experience on Horwood specifically, but don't be shy to try very shallow water in mid-June (4-8 feet), and if you're experienced with jigging artificials, you probably wont need bait most of the time either. Husky jerks and split tail/paddle tail baits account for my most of my walleye this time of year!