Is my Lowrance elite 5X pooched,,,, NO IT,S NOT, Thanks guys

misfish

Im having many issues with this finder. I bought it used and trusted I was getting a good deal.

There is no disrespect to the seller. It might just be the way I have set it up.

I have reset to factory settings and set it up like I did my elite 4X. It , the 4X,runs flawless.I have heard the 5 is a bit different for set up and have also read they are a P3TA to set up. My biggest issue came today. I could mark my heavy jig, then it wouls fade away. Yes, it was staright down. I mark a solid bottom and correct depth.

Other issues I have are surface clarity and noice. If they are off, I get a full coloured screen. I need to have both on low to show a clear white screen.

Very frustraded now.

On the 4, I can clearly mark a meegs 100 ft down ,williams as well. This thing I lose it in 55 fow all of a sudden today.

I am running the ice ducer, yet when I bought this unit, it came with a regular skimmer type. Would this be my issue? The connector is not Blue for the ice ducer, it just plugs into the prongs like my 4 does.

Hope Im making sense here.

For those that have this unit, can you share your set up?

Thanks

For now, the 4 is going back into action.

Edited by Brian B

I'm not familiar with the unit, but can you change the frequency from 200mghz, to 83, to 50?

Or shallow to deep water setting?

I have tried all what you said Tom. I hope it rains next weekend ,and I,ll head down to Radio World.

he wont let me touch it

he thinks I will break it so I can finally out fish him...lol

its hard to out fish a Newfie...lol

LOL Bud. LOL

Do you still have the second transducer to check?

Yes Rob. Im going to try it out after work Monday.

Also going to try the 4 as well with the ducer it came with.

I dont see the ducer being the problem, unless the two machines are not compatible.

Edited by Brian B

I bet it's transducer related. I have started to tape a sock over my transducers when trailering the boat. I never thought of it before but think how much road debris is scratching the bottom, especially gravel roads. I have seen my Hummingbird as well as my Garmin lose some definition every year. Sure enough I crawled to look at the transducer and they were scratched to heck. I dread running and buying new transducers. I got that tip and a new hat from Charlie Wray when I saw him at Proctor's last month. I don't know if it's any help Brian, hope you sort things out.

I owned the elite5 and I had the same issues.

It is a very poor deep water model - meaning over 60' it marks your jig very poorly.

And for the record - I am very comfortable and skilled with tweaking electronics.

I tried everything - on the ice with an ice ducer or in my boat with transom ducer. Same basic deep water issue.

I now have a HB 899 and 859 and they mark jigs waaaayyy better. I am very pleased.

It sounds like installation problem.

Did you wrap the transducer cord in a big ball and tape. This makes it a coil, the static builds up and you lose adjustments.

Wrap your cord in something that does not conduct electricity. Wood, plastic. You could go to Source and buy a factory hub.

And this ball of static is likely near you power wire.

It sounds like installation problem.

Did you wrap the transducer cord in a big ball and tape. This makes it a coil, the static builds up and you lose adjustments.

Wrap your cord in something that does not conduct electricity. Wood, plastic. You could go to Source and buy a factory hub.

And this ball of static is likely near you power wire.

Wow, you hit something there. I just rerigged my finder on conduit and it,s wrapped up now. It did work better when it was just hanging.

I will remove the wrap and see. Thanks Garnet. Never thought this would effect the unit.

012_zpsiyasj7gn.jpg

Is that your power cord beside your Transducer cord. It would be fine if one was on top and other on bottom if pipe was plastic.. I one time had my Transducer cable across the battery.

You just want to separate transducer cable from all other sources of power. Is your fish finder on your trolling motor battery.

Just things like that. Fish finder are very sensitive to static and volt drop.