Trolling Motor Batteries (x2) - assume price no object

Steve

After my last purchase of Interstate batteries (bought May last year, now won't hold a charge), I need to purchase 2 12v batteries.

My current batteries are SRM29 size.

Need to pick up two new batteries....don't mind spending for quality batteries.

I've heard "optima", "deca", etc are "better" batteries.

I'm in the Hamilton area....and nope, not getting another set of interstate.

Any suggestions?

Did the batteries come with a warranty? That is a pretty short life.

I have had good results with Everstart from Walmart. Others, have also reported good results. I have never tried high end batteries; but I get quite a few years from the lower end ones.

Something is wrong there steve. Maybe your charger is pooched.

The ones ive been using are branded as magnacharge. Same as costco batts. I paid $175 for a 31 DC a week or two ago. Last one is still kicking but doesnt hold a charge like a new one.

S.

no, i agree.

my charger did contribute, and I have replaced it....

but with that said, the batteries shouldn't be as bad as they are....after a decade or more of using Interstate I thought it would be time to change it up....

I got two years out of my Deca before it wouldn't take a charge. Sent back for a factory and got another year out of it. Had enough and bought Interstates this year. Hope they hold up longer than the Deca.

Seen duds from all manufacturers. But usually bad charging and use habits will determine battery life.

I been.using deka battery sold as diehard powersurge carquest for years put a dp27 2 year old cranking battery and two new 27dc in ranger in 2007 just replaced them all last year.

Charger is.important checking.water levels important

Keeping.charged is important.

Seen faulty or manual chargers.boil a battery dry.

Seen duds from all manufacturers. But usually bad charging and use habits will determine battery life.

I been.using deka battery sold as diehard powersurge carquest for years put a dp27 2 year old cranking battery and two new 27dc in ranger in 2007 just replaced them all last year.

Charger is.important checking.water levels important

Keeping.charged is important.

Seen faulty or manual chargers.boil a battery dry.

mine was caused by the charger not changing to "complete" and basically cooked the battery (although showed no voltage on the meter)... I know the red light kept flashing....that was back in February....probably for 3 weeks or so....

In March I charged them up full, as I also have a 24v tiller motor I use for slow trolling early spring browns...noticed I could only troll for 2 hours (or less) on a full charge....last year I could get almost 8 hours off a full charge...

so I tried charging and discharging the batteries half dozen times, hoping they would get better....they have not.

thing about interstate is, at least living in Hamilton, its so easy to buy them, as the distribution centre is in Stoney Creek....2 minutes from my wifes work...

I just can't believe my charger damaged the batteries as bad as it appears to have....batteries basically a year old.

I'll bet the charger was the whole problem. I can see one battery being a dud and going out in one year but not both...and not at the same time. I've ran interstate in my Ranger for about 3 years with no issues. Keep them topped up and charge them after every use. I use a 4 bank NOCO onboard charger.

I had 2 group 24 Deka batteries that were installed by the dealer for my trolling motor. They lasted four full seasons but I think they would have lasted longer if I didn't keep them in the freezing cold garage during the third winter since I did see a slight drop in capacity in my fourth season even though they were kept on maintenance chargers all winter. They finally died in the fall due to water boiling while charging. My Deka starting battery is still going strong in year 5. i have tried Costco, Walmart and Canadian Tire batteries in my old boat and I was never really happy with their longevity. They all seemed to perform very similarly. My impression is that the Dekas performed better. I now ensure I charge the batteries back to 100% immediately after I use them and store them indoors over the winter.

After my Dekas died i bought Canadian Tire AGM batteries, hopefully i'll have good luck with them. I would have bought Optimas but i got a better deal on the CT AGMs so thought i would give them a try...

Edited by finja

I have used Interstate and Nautilus deep cycle boat batteries, I always got a lot more than a year out of them, usually 4-5, and I spent a lot of time on the electric motor. Have your purchase receipts? some have pro rated warranties after a year?

stick with the interstates! most marine batteries only have a one year warranty.......I still have and use one of your old spares!, i am on year 5 on my interstates, i put nautilus batteries in a cottage boat as was the only choice at the time are they were terrible from the get go, same as great northern batteries, deka or interstates is my recommendation

If you are in the Hamilton area check out Acme Battery off Parkdale Ave. N. They will give you the best price anywhere and explain to you 80% off all batteries manufactured are by Johnson Controls. I'm running Deca's from Proctor Marine in Simcoe On. (needed them right away otherwise I would have gone to Acme), my cranking battery wouldn't hold a charge the 3rd season and they handed me a new battery. Being a regular customer helps, it's sometimes worth paying a bit more and knowing everyone by name at a Marine dealer when you have an issue. Big box stores don't know or care to know you.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Spending big $$$ on batteries is a mistake imo. Now that u have a new charger just go to Walmart and buy everstarts.

I once had decade and they did not last long.

Also - batteries can be damaged from pounding through waves if u have your compartment in the bow which I do.

Northstar AGM's. Motormaster AGM's are made by Northstar I believe. Last time I checked the CTC batteries were more $ than the Northstar but came with 2 years additional warranty. If you decide to go the AGM route do NOT let them get completely dead, they will not take a charge when they get too low. If you have discharged the AGM batteries to the point where they wont't take a charge, take a wet cell battery and hook it parallel to the AGM. Hook your charger up to the wet cell battery and put it on a low charge for a day. The voltage will be brought up in the AGM to the point where it will take a charge again. I learned this the hard way and cost me lot's of $$$.