Waterproof Flashlight

Jon

Hi all:

Not surprisingly, the "waterproof" flashlights in my 2 boat safety kits got wet and no longer work. The kits are only out on the water once or twice a year so I am not looking to spend much on a replacement (i.e. Fenix is not an option). I found this one at Walmart (http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/energizer-weatheready-waterproof-led-flashlight/6000142540745) but I'm certainly open to other ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

I bought the same or similar one at Canadian tire. It is still too soon to see if it is much better than the crap that is included with the basic safety kits. Canadian tire also sells a Fox 40 brand waterproof light for ~$20 or so.

The ones in the kits don't need to get wet to stop working. I am hoping the new ones are a little more reliable.

The ziplock bag will keep them dry, but I am not if is meets the legal requirement for a waterproof flash light.

Combination of the 2 lol

I have had my cheep one in a sealed container for many years and still works fine

I replace the batteries every spring as a precaution...

I actually use the locking Tupperware containers from walmart with the waterproof gaskets... The "lock & lock" brand

I have 4-5 In my boat for varies things... Ones a first aid kit... One has boat and trailer papers, spare bulbs, emergency pull rope.... Another with sunblock, lighter, 3 headlights for fishing, waterproof flashlight.... Stuff like that

Mine still works after 7 years out of the Orange safety kit. New batteries every year. No need to spend big bucks.

The best water proof light I have is a 3 purpose light. Pen light, it turns neon green on the body and can flash green, great in the dark and waterproof. It has a lanyard on it so you can hang it around your neck. It would come in handy if overboard at night with the bright flashing neon green. And it's a whistle which I just found out looking at it to post the name.

LIFE GEAR GLOW STICK

I bought the same or similar one at Canadian tire. It is still too soon to see if it is much better than the crap that is included with the basic safety kits. Canadian tire also sells a Fox 40 brand waterproof light for ~$20 or so.

The ones in the kits don't need to get wet to stop working. I am hoping the new ones are a little more reliable.

The ziplock bag will keep them dry, but I am not if is meets the legal requirement for a waterproof flash light.

Wal-Mart sells the same Fox 40 for $7.99

Edited by gaspumper

I don't keep my batteries in the flashlight - just keep them in the same waterproof container. I think that helps the unit last longer too. Just test it every now and then and I'm good to go. Keeping everything as dry as possible helps too

I don't keep my batteries in the flashlight - just keep them in the same waterproof container. I think that helps the unit last longer too. Just test it every now and then and I'm good to go. Keeping everything as dry as possible helps too

I'd be quite skeptical if that qualifies as a working flashlight without batteries in it. Sounds like a fine waiting to happen. Or maybe just a warning if you catch them on a good day.

Cheers