PSA

Dara

Cool check my freezer it's full of haddock and halibut no skin will they know ??what type of fish it is??

Just stating the rules, man. You could keep your limit and give it to family and friends everyday and not be in violation of laws but if you have 10 walleyes in your freezer from a few different trips you're in violation. Enforcement is tricky, kinda hard to get around that.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/ontario-fishing-regulations-summary

read page 13

if you are in violation of this you are breaking the law and can be fined.

MNR is second to the Ontario Fire inspector in terms of the ability to do what ever the hell they want. Dont mess with CO's

A CO can confiscate your boat, car, trailer and all of your gear under suspicion without warrant.

abide by the law people!

Just stating the rules, man. You could keep your limit and give it to family and friends everyday and not be in violation of laws but if you have 10 walleyes in your freezer from a few different trips you're in violation. Enforcement is tricky, kinda hard to get around that.

All fish caught here are eaten up that day and not many days that happens

I don't freeze fish but this would never have occurred to me.

I was going to ask the smartass question and say what if I went to the store and bought three rainbow trout and was the only one home... I guess I need the receipt.

Page 10 of the regs:

While the regulations for a specic Fisheries Management Zone limit the number of fish an individual can catch and retain from that Zone, provincial possession limits limit the total number of fish of a given species a person can have in their possession (including storage) which have been harvested from more than one Zone. Always check the regulations for the zone in which you are fishing to ensure that you arent exceeding the catch and possession limit for that Zone.

Walleye is max 6, no matter where they were caught.

I too remember those days, I believe for hunting small game and migratory birds it is still twice the daily limit for possession limit, hence there could be some confusion still.

For grouse, where I hunt, it's 5 per day with a possession of 15.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/ontario-fishing-regulations-summary

read page 13

if you are in violation of this you are breaking the law and can be fined.

MNR is second to the Ontario Fire inspector in terms of the ability to do what ever the hell they want. Dont mess with CO's

A CO can confiscate your boat, car, trailer and all of your gear under suspicion without warrant.

abide by the law people!

FYI regarding CO powers. Note that they require a warrant for a building used as a dwelling. The powers afforded to Provincial Officers under the Environmental Protection Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Pesticides Act (to name a few) are much stronger than the provisions for the CO, Ontario Fire Inspector.

Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act

Search warrants, further search powers, etc.

91. (1) A conservation officer may obtain a search warrant under Part VIII of the Provincial Offences Act.

Searches without warrant

(2) If a conservation officer believes on reasonable grounds that there is in a building or other place any thing that will afford evidence of an offence under this Act but that the time required to obtain a search warrant would lead to the loss, removal or destruction of the evidence, the conservation officer may, without a search warrant, enter and search the building or other place.

Dwellings

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a building or part of a building that is being used as a dwelling.

FYI regarding CO powers. Note that they require a warrant for a building used as a dwelling. The powers afforded to Provincial Officers under the Environmental Protection Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Pesticides Act (to name a few) are much stronger than the provisions for the CO, Ontario Fire Inspector.

91. (1) A conservation officer may obtain a search warrant under Part VIII of the Provincial Offences Act. Searches without warrant

(2) If a conservation officer believes on reasonable grounds that there is in a building or other place any thing that will afford evidence of an offence under this Act but that the time required to obtain a search warrant would lead to the loss, removal or destruction of the evidence, the conservation officer may, without a search warrant, enter and search the building or other place. Dwellings

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a building or part of a building that is being used as a dwelling.

Thanks Mitch!

Edited by Dutch01

Seems like it would be really hard for COs to convict anyone on that.

What if I hold an Ontario and Quebec license? Do my possession limits stack?

What about fish I purchased? Can I buy 20 fillets from Eagle's Nest and still be legal? What if I keep that receipt and use it to pretend the fish in my freeze was purchased?

For the record there's 1 fish in my freeze and it's an Aurora - I don't break the rules. Devil's advocate always brings heat to a discussion.

We had a visit this morning by 2 CO,s. Held up our lic. Asked to read the back. How many fish do you have? Our limit of whities. Who caught them? YO MAMMA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

No, we told them each had our limit.. Good job, enjoy your day. I said wait. How many can I have? Well how many do you have? I have 2 here, and 4 from last weekend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in my BELLY.LOL

HAve a nice day smart ass. Thank you. I will. :P

Hey, it wasnt my boat they were going to take. :w00t::lol:

Ya, I bet Terry was thinking to himself: "If I throw the newf overboard, I'll have to load the boat on the trailer myself."

Where we had to park, he would have much more worries. Will his boat be there when he gets back. IBP launch parking is a joke.

91. (1) A conservation officer may obtain a search warrant under Part VIII of the Provincial Offences Act.

Searches without warrant

(2) If a conservation officer believes on reasonable grounds that there is in a building or other place any thing that will afford evidence of an offence under this Act but that the time required to obtain a search warrant would lead to the loss, removal or destruction of the evidence, the conservation officer may, without a search warrant, enter and search the building or other place.

Dwellings

x2 Thanks Mitch

Paul