Spinning reel braid

captpierre

Looking for a new braid line to cast jigs and smaller crankbaits.

Been using 10 lb Crystal now for several years.

I'm not getting the casting distance I could because the line isn't that smooth.

Berkley says it's designed for spinning reels.

With a light kink to it I think the smaller guides on my rods create too much friction.

Any suggestions for an alternative braid?

I have a few different lines on a few rod's right now. Spiderwire moss green in #10 or 15 has been GREAT for me for years tossing jig's! Nanofil has also been GOOD for me since it came out but takes a lot of "looks" for weak spots if fishing thick weeks and or timber. TufLine duracast, pass and will never buy it again... I will only use it on my ice rod's now to not just waste the line I already have and the summer line and ice line is the SAME according to a dealer. SuperSlick 8, still has not out cast the SpiderWire on the very same set up and this is my first season using it so I have not made up my mind on it.

So if I was running to the store right now to grab a line for the weekend I'd stop my search after the SpwiderWire moss green... But that's just me... Good luck!

I've never tried it. Even branching out to nanofil was a big stretch for me, before that all I used was 6lb XT, and regular power pro for braid. I tend to stick to what I know works, change is difficult LOL.

Edited by porkpie

I've never tried it. Even branching out to nanofil was a big stretch for me, before that all I used was 6lb XT, and regular power pro for braid. I tend to stick to what I know works, change is difficult LOL.

See that's why I asked. I have had PP break on me years ago and swore I'm done. SW never an issue YET and it's been ages using it! Nanofil was new and still has its uses and it a good "toss a lure a mile" line but isn't a strong line for wear and tear. Mind you I did land a 46" musky on #12 with no leader wile jigging for walleye..

I used one spool, no thanks.

The original is far better IMO

This season I will test it out as the set up I have it planned for is a jigging walleye rod is my 2nd jigging bait when I get to a spot. Top combo still has spiderwire and #$%^&*() bait on it... ;)

I've used super slick in the past and didn't like it. I really had no issues with it but the regular PP cuts through weeds better. That is the only difference while in the water I saw. It just happened to be a major difference for me and my style of fishing.

If you want something that will cast very well, super slick is the way to go IMO.

Just put on 10lb power pro braid and tie on a floro leader and you will be fine and will cast a mile

10 lb pp and 15 lb flouro leader. I don't even notice when the union knot goes through the eyes. I actually prefer the super slick as well.

Edited by netminder

I live in the Kawarthas, and winter in Arizona, so I get a lot of fishing in each year.

Four years ago, I bought two new spinning reels, on sale and 14 or 15 pound test white Sufix 832 and brown Power Pro Super Slick, which were also on sale, at Sail.

These braids are both 8 strand lines and are rounder than the old PP and other 4 strand lines. Fresh braid has a finish on it that gives it extra body. Once they have been used a bit, the 8 strand lines feel softer to me, than the old 4 strand lines but since the threads are finer, they might not wear as well. However, I'm still using both of these four year old lines.

I also like the 8 strand Fireline Braid (Tracer) and have used the camo Spiderwire. I think these two lines are made by Sufix. I used 10 pound and didn't find them to be very long lasting, but by reversing them, they always lasted for more than one season.

The old fused Firelines, original black and Crystal, are almost flat. Some people like that for spinning reels...In my opinion, they are okay, and last a long time, if you ignore the fact that they delaminate quickly. I don't use them anymore, but would buy the black if it was on sale...However, they are definitely old-school, so I prefer a true braid.

When it came out, I bought white Nanofil in eight or ten pound. I recall it was quite curly, because of the small spools they wound it on. I put it on a 1000 size Stradic, which probably didn't help...Anyway, I used it for more than two years by reversing it a couple of times. It seemed to have a plastic finish on it. It did cast well, but I wouldn't pay extra for it since I didn't like it as well as the PP-8 or 832.

Not all braids are as tight a weave as PP and 832. Spider brought out a loose weave called Invisi-Braid, which I didn't like at all.

Western Filament, who makes Tuf-line, used to make several loose weave braids. Their XP was their tightest braid and I found it identical to the old PP-4. I haven't used it in a long time but I have used their hollow core line, which I like.

All 10 pound braid is roughly the diameter of 3 or 4 pound mono, so if you want longer line life and more abrasion resistance, you might think about moving up to 14 or 15 pound test...

In Canada I fish in very clear water, but I am mostly a bass guy, and I don't think bass are line-shy. Sometimes I use a fluorocarbon leader but mostly I don't. If I'm dead sticking or finesse fishing I might dye the white line black with a Sharpie.

If you have trouble with fresh braid jumping off the spool, you have put it on backward. Drag it in the prop-wash behind a boat to take the twist out and it will be okay.

Edited by garry2rs

Picked up 12 lb Nanofil

Not cheap. $22 for 150 yds.

The boys at LeBaron recommend it as well for longer casts.

Also said less abrasion resistance.

Will use a Fluoro leader.

Will report back.

They're saying the walleye bite in the Kawarthas has been tough this week.

Edited by captpierre

They're saying the walleye bite in the Kawarthas has been tough this week.

Going to test my luck the next 1.5 days...

The line is good but if you use a double uni to marry the leader to main mine do a few more wraps on the nanofil and still wet the knot you use like you would with mono (moisten it) when you snug it up.

Edited by GBW

Going to test my luck the next 1.5 days...

The line is good but if you use a double uni to marry the leader to main mine do a few more wraps on the nanofil and still wet the knot you use like you would with mono (moisten it) when you snug it up.

No!!!! Double palomar!

No!!!! Double palomar!

the say that in the "papers" in the box for if you tie a lure direct but I can use the uni with a few more wraps if adding a leader with no prob's. In fact that's what I'm going to rig in the AM for my daughter as I needed to get her a new reel.

the say that in the "papers" in the box for if you tie a lure direct but I can use the uni with a few more wraps if adding a leader with no prob's. In fact that's what I'm going to rig in the AM for my daughter as I needed to get her a new reel.

You suck!???

Im kiddin man you know whats up.

Enjoy the weekend with the kiddos eh? Put some tobacco down and hammer em!

And ffs send me a pic or pics and facecrack, I wanna see kids with FISH!!!!

You suck!

Im kiddin man you know whats up.

Enjoy the weekend with the kiddos eh? Put some tobacco down and hammer em!

And ffs send me a pic or pics and facecrack, I wanna see kids with FISH!!!!

Will do and if we get into any I will post'em