Check out this old reel NF

A buddy has had it sitting around forever.

It was his dads.

Its in pretty darm good shape too! Everything on it still works perfect.

I wonder what the age is on it? And what type of rod it would be paired with?

The insert on the top end is very small(the rod would insert into the reel)

Edit. A quick google search puts it at 1945-46

Edited by manitoubass2

Braided line was the " thing " in those days, mono-filament was a new deal and was rarely seen on anything but a spinning reel. Nylon or Dacron braid, Dacron didn't have much stretch.

Maybe its nylon? Its def. Braided, but not like todays braid. Its very thick/soft and stretchy.

Braided line back then was far different than the braids of today! Nylon and Dacron were soft, I used both as a kid on my casting reels, early mono had a tendency to be stiff, I never even liked using a spinning reel because of it, then Berkley introduced the original Trilene, which was much better.

Brings a new meaning to pistol grip.... I like it but I don't think I'd want to carry it around all day.

Most likely would have been paired with steel or solid fiberglass rod. Either a broomstick or nice and whippy.

That has to be one of the coolest reels I have seen in a long time. I sort of pick them up when I see them cheap at a garage sale or Antique store and they don't know what they have. I have paid much more than they were asking, it's just the right thing to do I think.

More pics Rick please on a solid back ground so I can see the details. Email them if you wish, what ever is easy.

I doubt it but is he interested in selling it? I know I wouldn't even if it wasn't my fathers. He only passed on his old sledge hammers and tools to me. He had an old axe that was marked "Tonys X" on it. I still howl when I use it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

That has to be one of the coolest reels I have seen in a long time. I sort of pick them up when I see them cheap at a garage sale or Antique store and they don't know what they have. I have paid much more than they were asking, it's just the right thing to do I think.

More pics Rick please on a solid back ground so I can see the details. Email them if you wish, what ever is easy.

I doubt it but is he interested in selling it? I know I wouldn't even if it wasn't my fathers. He only passed on his old sledge hammers and tools to me. He had an old axe that was marked "Tonys X" on it. I still howl when I use it.

Ill get better picks tonight. Its really nice work.

Ill ask him if hes willing to sell and let ya know.

Hes got alot of old reels etc. His house is like a friggen museum of cool stuff.

And just the most random stuff too.

You know the pictures of dogs playing poker? I know youve seen some variation of it.

He has one and its from 1846.

If you ever find any with the name "Vom Hofe" snap them up. I missed some on Kijiji a while ago that I'm still kicking myself over.

Is Big Cliff in that picture from 1846? Now watch he is going to think I'm serious. Just kidding young fella.

zing!

I'll try and send you one of a fly reel I have from 40 or so years ago that I keep on my mantel...