Need Guide June 6th @ Lake Temagami! OR BOAT RENTAL

Sterling

EDIT: BUMPING old thread - need a charter/guide/boat this year again! No experience on Temagami needed, we'll send someone with you who knows the spots. Date this year is JUNE 4TH.

Looking for a guide to take out a small group (3 people) for some lakers on Lake Temagami.

June 6th, all day. We'll be at Deepwater Lodge.

Any tips? We've already booked Rick Lockheart.

If someone from these boards wants to make some easy money, speak up :).

EDIT: A boat rental will do just fine!

Edited by Sterling

Right...guiding is easy..LOL

I don't think there is anybody on here that knows that lake well enough to guide :whistling:

Actually someone with a nice boat would do just fine. I'll do the guiding :).

Most boats get skunked anyway.

Actually someone with a nice boat would do just fine. I'll do the guiding :).

Most boats get skunked anyway.

What do you mean? Pretty sure anyone competent at laker fishing will not get skunked on Temagami, especially this time of year.

What do you mean? Pretty sure anyone competent at laker fishing will not get skunked on Temagami, especially this time of year.

We usually have 4-6 boats, most captains aren't anglers so they don't know what to do.

The boats that DO know what they're doing can bring in well over a dozen fish a day.

What are you saying Dara?? LOL, I know where most of the rocks are now after a decade+ on the lake. Just because the (1886) depth chart says you can run your balls at 100 feet doesn't mean you can! :wallbash:

What's Rick charging you Sterling?

What are you saying Dara?? LOL, I know where most of the rocks are now after a decade+ on the lake. Just because the (1886) depth chart says you can run your balls at 100 feet doesn't mean you can! :wallbash:

LOL...Took you long enough

Someone else is taking care of finances so I'm not sure. Though I hope he's being paid well.

PS we did find someone to boat us around.

Edited by Sterling

That's good you found someone, so you're all set. Have fun, I don't even have my boat set up yet, been too busy cleaning up camp after 2 years of absence.

If you see the wife and I out there in our blue 2150 give a wave!

• 3 weeks later...

So I guess it's good form to update these threads after the fact.

We had 4 boats on the lake fishing all day. Every boat using mostly threaded minnows or ripplin redfins.

One boat was skunked, other boats got 1, 4 and 12 fish respectively.

We fished in and around Narrows Island and market lots of fish. The fish weren't hitting hard at all, in fact we only had 1 knockoff. Suppose that has to do with the depth at which we got them (70ft).

Otherwise a great day with coworkers and friends. Nobody got a trophy but we had a nice fish fry.

Call rick Lockhart at wishinyouwerefishin he does guiding and is good at it has boat and downriggers

As I pointed out we had already booked Rick :).

Good job, but lakers rarely will pop the rod out of the release (Even the big ones) Gotta keep an eye out for a bouncing rod tip.

It's interesting you say that. I'm relatively new to downrigging (first time 3 years ago) and I would say that a majority of people I've downrigged with have a setup that allows the release to come out on a strike.

It's interesting you say that. I'm relatively new to downrigging (first time 3 years ago) and I would say that a majority of people I've downrigged with have a setup that allows the release to come out on a strike.

Sometimes fish tend to swim along with the bait after being hooked lightly.

Won't pop the riggers.

I've seen this on Erie when one day the eye's will pop the riggers but on other days the best indication is a wiggling rod tip.

• 3 weeks later...

having just spent 2 days fishing lakers on riggers, Bill is bang on about them not pulling the clip. I use long clip lines and try set my scotty clips as light as humanly possible to the point that an extra crank on the rod releases the clip and the buggers still rarely pull the clip.

It takes a lot of concentration to spot the wobble on the rod tip but out of the 5 fish we had on, only one popped the clip. Weve caught multiple lakers simply pulling up lines to switch spoons and realizing that we were dragging a fish.

I've tried running the clips super light and all I do is pop the release when tightening down the rod. I use the standard Scotty clips (Nothing special).. After years and years I've basically just given up waiting for a rod to pop fishing these big greasers and watch for the bouncing rod tip :)

I switched over to these years ago for inland lakes and haven't looked back, fully adjustable tension for release, no more draggin shakers around the lake...still use Scotty's for salmon though

http://dev.downriggerrelease.com/products.html

These look amazing, they have stackers too. Ordering a pair of each right now.

they have separate horizontal and vertical tensions, so you can crank down on the rod but a little shaker can still release the clip

biggest advantage for me is I can run braid without false releases (never found a clip that holds braid well), but I don't have to worry about water fleas which I hear are horrible on braid