Favorite Fly for Big Specks

Huronmtn

Do you have a "go to" productive Speck fly that has proven itself over the years/decades? Care to share?

Mine is a fly I invented/refined after a mix of experiences that led me to create this pattern. I call it the "ScuCraLee".

It is a somewhat complex fly to tie but worth the effort if you are focused on big Specks. It can be fished to simulate either a sculpin, crayfish, or leech. See my video if you want to give it a try.

https://youtu.be/1YHJMSVtFX8

Edited by Huronmtn

Wallicio,

Unfortunately I am not a fly tying affectionado as you are presuming. I developed this fly on my own based on experience I had starting out fishing with unarticulated flies of my own tie and using jointed rapalas. I don't subscribe to the precedent that one must study other fly tyiers work before one sits down to tie a fly. I do what makes sense based on my experience.

Ok. Let me be much more diplomatic than I feel right now. I started this topic with the hopes of sharing useful information between people interested in trophy Speck fishing. I did not expect my first reply, or any replies, to be a complaint about what I wanted to share. It is sad when vanity and arrogance ruins things for others trying to have a substantive exchange. GTH

So, you must be quite a chap. Calling someone that you don't know a liar because you have some other fly tying knowledge in your head is appalling to me. I guess you have appointed yourself the fly tying taxonomy God on this forum. Good for you. I hope that role brings you and others a lot of value in life.

Enough said on this. It would be nice if some one would reply with a fly they would like to share.

i don't understand why this is such an issue for you. Why are you more interested in what something is called instead of sharing what works? You guys must know it all already and so this is really boring for you and this is how you find entertainment.

What I have to admit is that I have naively stepped into the world of fly tying snobbery.

I'll let you all have the last reply. I have nothing else to say. I am moving on.

The issue really has to be spelled out for you? Would you be ok with your son submitting someone else's work at school with his name on it? It's called plagiarism or more bluntly, ripping off someone else's hard work and passing it off as your own. Had you just acknowledged that you modified a pre-existing pattern then all would be good.

I'll share my favourite trophy trout fly. I've been using the same pattern for a few years now. Big browns, brookies and bows all like to kill it for trespassing. Sometimes they like yellow, sometimes white, sometimes brown, sometimes black.....

sex-dungeon-white-small-large_zpsnzkuz6j

sex-dungeon-yellow_zpshh1zqqkm.jpg

10410860_10152698965505586_6926884831239

IMG_3826_zpsyd94pgvk.jpg

IMG_2078_zpsf5a6eeba.jpg

Its called the sex dungeon, originally tied by a fella from the midwest. Goes by the name Kelly Galloup.

So, an analogy to show you how stupid I think this is.

Let's assume you are a home builder. One that actually has some design skills. You design a custom split level home and offer the design to your clients along with many stock models. You decide to call it what you want, some name with good marketing fluff attributes would be the typical thing to do.

Your rational applied to home building is that this builder can not offer his design to the market with out first publicly paying tribute to the first guy or gal that designed a split level home. Who would even know that? Who would even care?

Makes no sense. Doesn't matter. Clients like the house, clients buy and dwell in the house. They don't a year or more later sit back and remember or care what the builder's design was called. They just are happy with their choice and that the home fits their needs.

I'll share my favourite trophy trout fly. I've been using the same pattern for a few years now. Big browns, brookies and bows all like to kill it for trespassing. Sometimes they like yellow, sometimes white, sometimes brown, sometimes black.....

sex-dungeon-white-small-large_zpsnzkuz6j

sex-dungeon-yellow_zpshh1zqqkm.jpg

10410860_10152698965505586_6926884831239

IMG_3826_zpsyd94pgvk.jpg

IMG_2078_zpsf5a6eeba.jpg

Its called the sex dungeon, originally tied by a fella from the midwest. Goes by the name Kelly Galloup.

So, an analogy to show you how stupid I think this is.

Let's assume you are a home builder. One that actually has some design skills. You design a custom split level home and offer the design to your clients along with many stock models. You decide to call it what you want, some name with good marketing fluff attributes would be the typical thing to do.

Your rational applied to home building is that this builder can not offer his design to the market with out first publicly paying tribute to the first guy or gal that designed a split level home. Who would even know that? Who would even care?

Makes no sense. Doesn't matter. Clients like the house, clients buy and dwell in the house. They don't a year or more later sit back and remember or care what the builder's design was called. They just are happy with their choice and that the home fits their needs.

Dude, you used the word INVENTED.. Are you really this stupid? lol If you simply would have said 'Hey guys, I love Galloups Sex Dungeon, here's my spin on it, it works great!' this thread would have turned out completely different.

But you didn't, and you got called out and now you're back pedaling.

It is probably hard to tie a fly nowadays that doesn't look like something someone else has tied before. I am not out looking for any credit for inventing something. I just wanted to share what I developed and found to work. I didn't know there was a stern ethic with some -- an unwritten copyright law -- regarding fishing flies. The fact that there was a design similar to the fly I shared prior to me sharing it is apparent. I didn't mean to take away from the work of others. It is a good design in my experience that has worked very well for me. I encourage anyone that has not used it to give it a try.

Edited by Huronmtn