2 Boats sink on Erie recently, all are safe.

It can happen at any time. It's nice to hear about the co operation between Canada and the US Coast Guard during these rescues. I also wonder why the Canadians that were air lifte to Erie Pa. would refuse medical attention after being in 46F water for a few hours.

I just can't get around the fact that 2 vessels would travel all the way to Erie from Trenton On. They would have to travel almost the entire length of Lake Ontario and then up the Welland Canal to get there.

http://www.simcoereformer.ca/2016/05/16/rough-waters-sink-two-boats

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Some very lucky people there. Likely refused the medical attention to avoid the big hospital bill since were taken to the States.

YUP!!!

Probably didn't have out of country insurance.

My dad was in hospital in Florida in 2014 for a day and a half.

The bill was $17,000!!!!!

Good thing for insurance.

Don't go on vacation without it as you could go broke in a heart beat!!! ;)

I agree that they refused because of the cost. 8 stiches to my business partners noggin in Lauderdale Fla. in 2006 $7000.00, if he paid other than credit card they would settle for $5500.00.

The other thing to mention re: travel insurance, most companies here that provide major medical benefits can cap out to a maximum. 1 bad week out of Ontario and you might go through a lifetime of medical benefits. When we had benefits upon retirement it was $80.000.00 lifetime.There was a payout for Air Ambulance to get you back to Ontario so Great West didn't have to pay it. I don't know about the union guys coverage.

Also check about going out of province. They don't have OHIP in B.C. You may have to pay up front then fight OHIP to recover it many months later. I don't have the best health record lately and Blue Cross only costs me 25 bucks a week to go south.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I just can't get around the fact that 2 vessels would travel all the way to Erie from Trenton On. They would have to travel almost the entire length of Lake Ontario and then up the Welland Canal to get there.

The article is confusing but there were no boats sent from Trenton to Lake Erie. Trenton is the CCG Rescue Coordination Centre and they send boats from the nearest coast guard sub-base. SAR aircraft I believe do actually take of from Trenton for Eastern Lake Erie.

Edited by G.mech

I agree that they refused because of the cost. 8 stiches to my business partners noggin in Lauderdale Fla. in 2006 $7000.00, if he paid other than credit card they would settle for $5500.00.

The other thing to mention re: travel insurance, most companies here that provide major medical benefits can cap out to a maximum. 1 bad week out of Ontario and you might go through a lifetime of medical benefits. When we had benefits upon retirement it was $80.000.00 lifetime.There was a payout for Air Ambulance to get you back to Ontario so Great West didn't have to pay it. I don't know about the union guys coverage.

Also check about going out of province. They don't have OHIP in B.C. You may have to pay up front then fight OHIP to recover it many months later. I don't have the best health record lately and Blue Cross only costs me 25 bucks a week to go south.

I purchase insurance from these guys when I go out of country.

http://www.medipac.com/home

Very reasonable. It costs me about $10 a week. :)

My insurance through work only covers 80% so it's worth the extra $$$.

Edited by DRIFTER_016