Watch for poachers in Cambridge

Dave Bailey

According to a wildlife message board I frequent, people were recently spotted removing turtles from the Speed River, presumably for consumption. Harvesting of snapping turtles and bullfrogs, and only those species, is allowed in that Wildlife Management Area, but only from July 15 to September 15.

Edited by Dave Bailey

Poachers are everywhere but until there is a real effort to stop them it will only get worse... weeks before the season starts guys line the dam in Caledonia targeting and catching out of season fish but no one stops them.. Good luck calling the authorities.. no one responds..

When I lived in Port Rowan I had snapping turtle soup/stew with veggies and barley, it was tasty. Locals said there is 7 kinds of meat on a turtle. Don't know of Painted Turtles being marketed illegally as pets but I know there is a problem with persons releasing alien Red Eared Sliders into the wild .

Don't know of Painted Turtles being marketed illegally as pets but I know there is a problem with persons releasing alien Red Eared Sliders into the wild .

For 3 years, there was a group of people trapping painted turtles at Charles Daley. I would call the MNR every spring, then they stopped showing up. I would like to believe they finally got caught.

For 3 years, there was a group of people trapping painted turtles at Charles Daley. I would call the MNR every spring, then they stopped showing up. I would like to believe they finally got caught.

I confess, back in the 50's as a kid, I kept a Painted in a galvanized laundry tub and fed it earthworms , lettuce and raw hamburger all summer letting it go back in a pond Labour Day weekend. :whistling:

I confess, back in the 50's as a kid, I kept a Painted in a galvanized laundry tub and fed it earthworms , lettuce and raw hamburger all summer letting it go back in a pond Labour Day weekend. :whistling:

I also have a confession.

My son found a pretty big painter turtle on a dirt road near the river. He ran over and picked it up.

It pissed all over him.

My confession is I laughed hysterically at my own son

Edited by manitoubass2

yes turtle poaching is big business,and the CO's try there best I have seen them checking in the omemee area as well as south pigeon lake and Emily provincial park,they eat them as well as sell the live ones.......unreal.....certain nationalitys they are a delecasy....