Ontario to spend $7-billion on sweeping climate change plan

fishnsled

Many naive people of this province did and are most likely regretting it now. The next election will tell.

I doubt that very much.

They are too stupid to realize what they have done.

If they had half a brain they would have realized in the first week McSquinty was in office.

I doubt that very much.

They are too stupid to realize what they have done.

If they had half a brain they would have realized in the first week McSquinty was in office.

I was trying to be polite :whistling: , but I'll back you all day long on those words. LOL! Terry, shall we split on a tandem rig to move both our houses? Dave, you'll have new neighbours soon. :D

When we and business move out of the province where will the funding come from?

Hate this government!

I've been pretty pissed at many governments of the past but never hated one as much as this one. And to think we have 2 more years of this crap.

that hovers

I like the idea of a hover truck!

Voting may be rigged.

I've been wondering that since the election.

These liberal politicians make me sick.

Global warming is undeniable. Scientist pretty much universally believe this to be a real issue. By believing otherwise, you are allowing big companies, such as Exxon, to manipulate you. They are wealthy and powerful lobbyists and we are an easy target as change is hard for humans.

Having said that - this plan seems a little rash/aggressive to me. And I am sure there number one plan to get us to use less fossil fuels will involving adding more taxes.

Edited by landry

Climate change is a fact. How much an effect we have on climate change is debatable though.

To make a real change in emissions the economics need to make sense. Because that's the only thing that will make countries like India and China to pay attention and move in that direction. Otherwise we're just chasing the wind.

When governments try to regulate changes it can go well, but not like this. Montreal protocol with phasing out of harmful refrigerants? Worked by working with manufacturers. Forcing changes via legislation before technology is available? No thanks. Just a waste of taxpayer money.

A lot of mention of Geothermal in the article.

That is a technology that is truly in its infancy - even in comparison to wind and solar.

Sounds like a lot of pipe dreams in that article.

What is the carbon emission release on a standard home furnace? I can't imagine how forcing homes to go with electric heating will be at all economical!

I sorta understand the reason for the tax credits for electric vehicles (sorta, at best), but don't understand the benefit of forcing homes and buildings to move away from proven natural gas.

Are these ideas going to create any good jobs. Maybe they should work on that before saving the planet.

The good manufacturing jobs that were created with cheap electric power have already left the province/country, working on that is like closing the door after the horse got out.

it will move existing jobs around.

less jobs for gas techs. more jobs for electricians.

IBEW is running commercials supporting renewable forms of energy on tv all the time now.

I've said it before though, unfortunately after installation, wind farms, solar farms, and hydroelectric facilities require much less man power to operate than traditional forms of fossil fuel energy.

of course, that in turn means less jobs.

the electric grid in this province is going to need SERIOUS (and I mean massive) upgrades in order for Whinny the Pooh's pipe dream to become a reality.

The good manufacturing jobs that were created with cheap electric power have already left the province/country, working on that is like closing the door after the horse got out.

But that is because of the global economy, not because of local electricity prices.

What is the carbon emission release on a standard home furnace? I can't imagine how forcing homes to go with electric heating will be at all economical!

Do you think Queen's Park cares about either? As long as the emissions are somewhere else than Ontario they can claim to be green. And are they really in touch with the people who will be hit hardest by energy price increases?

A lot of mention of Geothermal in the article.

That is a technology that is truly in its infancy - even in comparison to wind and solar.

Sounds like a lot of pipe dreams in that article.

I sorta understand the reason for the tax credits for electric vehicles (sorta, at best), but don't understand the benefit of forcing homes and buildings to move away from proven natural gas.

We had a water source heat pump when we lived in Grand Valley.

It was cheaper to heat and cool that house than the one we moved from in Mississauga and that one was heated with gas.

This is all by design, occurring in all ''free'' countries lol. The tax cattle will be steered by any party in power. Though out history, no party has ever undone the taxation of a previous party. Once it's in, it's in. In Canada, we just blindly continue to elect our dictators for free reign for four or five years at a time.

Maybe President Trump can build a wall that will ensure global manufacturers emissions can't harm us here in a greener North America. I once asked a representative of the Chinese steel industry at a global conference on Steel Making "How many Blast Furnaces are there in China?" He said he didn't know as most rural villages produce their own iron and steel. I wonder how many of those places have emission controls in place?

We have made a mess of our environment and don't want to leave that as a legacy for future mankind. We broke it we need to start to fix it. But as long as it doesn't cost us our 4X4's to tow a pleasure craft or any money. I agree though that as long as I see her name on it most assuredly there will be a crap load of wasted Loonies. So what is the answer? All they have to do is make the cost of living with electricity less than living with fossil fuels. That's economics 101.

It's easy to complain and not offer a solution.

I don't have the background to argue yea or nay on the issue. Even scientists disagree. You know they can skew data to support their hypothesis. All I know is what I have seen.We created a micro climate at the plant years back. You didn't know if it was day or night, if the sky was clear or overcast. The city would be covered in smog, same looking across the lake at times at Toronto. Now multiply that by the thousands of manufacturing and highly populated urban cities across the globe. Is it enough to change the global environment? I believe it is. Could we see the polar ice caps years ago from outer space, nope. But we can now but there is not much to compare it to in the last 10,000 years.

I believe what I experience.