what pp would you go to for best fishing?

leaf4

Hey, looking into getting a group of friends together for the September long weekend and picking a provincial park to go to.

I was thinking Grundy as it has a variety of fish in it, and I can head out in my canoe no problem there. So within that ballpark or closer as we are coming from Hamilton any suggestions on where I should be looking into otherwise?

Electric/non electric doesn't matter also, thanks for any input in advance!

George Lake at Killarney, right where the camp sites are, is an excellent smallmouth fishery. Also an excellent lake trout fishery, but they haven't opened it up for them yet. Wish they would, I'm feeling guilty over my incidental catches. :whistling:

Edit: When I say where the camp sites are, I don't mean offshore from there. You need to canoe out into the lake, but if you want some good spots, just ask.

Edited by Dave Bailey

Mattawa River PP is a nice quiet spot (it covers a long distance) with lots of places to fish and look at, like falls and old mines and quite a few surrounding lakes to check out with multi species. There is no real enforcement or services, but nice camp spots, so you can jam out... Of course taking all your garbage out with you after

Edit: paddle access only for the most part

Edited by Rod Caster

I will second the opinion on the fishing on grundy,you will be disappointed. There are a couple others to consider all about the same from Hamilton. Restoule,quiet park with very good bass,walleye,musky pike and laker fishing. Great sites on the water and some backcountry sites on some of the smaller lakes. September park will be fairly empty. Lots of water and lakes to cover which offer lots of shelter on windy days.

Bonnechere is another option,good pike bass and walleye fishing. There are plenty of great sites along the river and good fishing from your site.Again lots of river and lake to fish,

I would also check out Beausoleil Island. It is part of a National Park located around Honey Harbour area,good sites,good fishing.

When I was a kid we always went to Sandbanks PP out near Picton. Boat down the river and fish East Lake. Some real nice spots to camp right on the river and the fishing was great for pike, largemouth and pickerel

I would agree with Sandbanks PP. East Lake is shallow and easy fishing for walleye, pike, bass. Not that picturesque however. Right off 401 so only couple hours trip.

Bon Echo PP is an hour or so north of Sandbanks, way more beautiful, second deepest lake in Ontario (Mazinaw Lake), apparently great fishing for walleye, bass, i had less success fishing, but potential is there...beauty place though.

Edited by ehg

When I was a kid we always went to Sandbanks PP out near Picton. Boat down the river and fish East Lake. Some real nice spots to camp right on the river and the fishing was great for pike, largemouth and pickerel

I am interested in this thread as well. Are there any pike in the river leading to east lake in sandbanks? seems like its shallow and has weeds.

Edited by huzzsaba

I am interested in this thread as well. Are there any pike in the river leading to east lake in sandbanks? seems like its shallow and has weeds.

Went there 2 summers ago. Caught a few hammer handles in the river. It's shallow and very weedy so potential for some larger ones. Lots of largies in the river too