Science begins its return to Canada

Dave Bailey

This is good news, both for the environment and the country:

Fisheries and Oceans Canada says it will hire 135 research scientists, biologists, oceanographers and technicians in its largest single recruitment toward restoring ocean science.

"This is a smart and meaningful investment, which will allow us to make better, science-based decisions to sustain our fisheries and protect our aquatic environment," Fisheries Minister Hunter Tootoo said in a statement Wednesday

The announcement marks a change of direction after years of criticism by the scientific community, which accused Ottawa of cutting more than 2,000 science jobs and closing research facilities.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/fisherie-oceans-department-hiring-research-scientists-1.3577115

Geez policies based on data ...... there's an idea! Maybe they'll even be allowed to PUBLISH their data and speak on matters of science ..... like in a free country! I'm not totally OK with Trudeau but this is one of the reasons I couldn't vote for Harper.

I am sure that this will go well to help the new Ontario Liberal goal to move all Ontario homes to electric

Heat by 2040

Just because they hire them does not mean they will support them. Government will only listen to what they want to hear and when they go against them they will do the same as the last government and let them go.

Good policies = good governance. Good going Justin.

we haven't seen a policy yet...just heard a bunch of hype

when is he going to push Quebec for the energy east pipeline

Edited by Dara

Never I hope. I have a camp 2km from the natural gas pipeline in Eastern Ontario. I don't believe for a minute it's simple to switch a 25 year old gas pipeline into a crude oil pipeline. If they want to pipe oil then install a properly engineered oil pipeline and I'd support that project. I'm willing to live with the risk but I'm not convinced this old pipeline is the answer.

Never I hope. I have a camp 2km from the natural gas pipeline in Eastern Ontario. I don't believe for a minute it's simple to switch a 25 year old gas pipeline into a crude oil pipeline. If they want to pipe oil then install a properly engineered oil pipeline and I'd support that project. I'm willing to live with the risk but I'm not convinced this old pipeline is the answer.

NIMBY...let the engineers worry about that part

what I can't figure out is why so many people are upset with selling the Saudi's them armoured trucks but they are against a pipeline that would let us use our own oil instead of buying it from them and giving them the money to buy the trucks from us...duh