why are we being fed by a poison expert

GbayGiant

lol organic farmers spray pesticides as well you know . hell the one farmer here takes all our fish from the fish cleaning station and puts the carcusus on his organic farm... lots of PCD dioxin and mercury in the fish just to name a few.. so much for healthy eating i will take my chances with pesticides thank you

Live off the land...grow your own food.

Thats pretty funny...tell that to 30.000 people living in a 40 story condo in Toronto

Load the balconies with topsoil and have a little ranch on the rooftop

lol organic farmers spray pesticides as well you know . hell the one farmer here takes all our fish from the fish cleaning station and puts the carcusus on his organic farm... lots of PCD dioxin and mercury in the fish just to name a few.. so much for healthy eating i will take my chances with pesticides thank you

Organic farmers do not use synthetic pesticides or herbicides. you are eating synthetic chemicals that are in your food. But you'll be ok I'm sure. Lol.

that is completely false...

You better let the farmers and certification associations know Chessy. :whistling:

http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/aboutorganic/whatis.php

About Organic

What is Organic Farming?

Organic farming promotes the sustainable health and productivity of the ecosystem – soil, plants, animals and people. Organic foods are farmed in an environmentally sustainable and socially responsible way, focusing on soil regeneration, water conservation and animal welfare.

sprout.png What it’s not…

Most people think of organic farming in terms of what is NOT allowed:

• Produce and grains are grown without synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers or GMOs (genetically modified organisms)
  • Animals are never fed the by-products of other animals, and are not kept constantly caged indoors, without access to fresh air, or opportunities to socialize with other animals
  • Processed organic foods do not contain chemical preservatives or synthetic additives like colourings and waxes

sprout.png There are more “do’s” than “don’ts”.

But the fact is, simply removing agri-chemicals is not enough to turn a conventional farm into an organic farm. Organic farming is an active, labour-intensive process.

For example, organic farmers use quality compost, cover crops (such as nitrogen-rich alfalfa) and crop rotation to nourish soil naturally, and to allow it to rest and regenerate. Plants grown in healthy soil are better able to feed and protect themselves from pests and disease, which means they won’t require heavy applications of fertilizers and pesticides. The expression, “Feed the soil, not the plant” is a familiar refrain among organic farmers.

Organic farmers are also careful about how they store and compost animal wastes, in order to safeguard air and water systems. They tailor their crops according to climate and soil, to optimise the natural growth cycle. Organic farmers also promote biodiversity, by growing a variety of crops, rather than one single crop. Through all of these methods, organic farmers prevent soil erosion, conserve energy, and help protect local wildlife, stream banks and watersheds. They help protect the global environment, as well: organic farming can greatly reduce the amount of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, that contribute to global warming. Click here to read a global report on The Role of Organic Agriculture in Mitigating Climate Change. Organic farming helps prevent topsoil erosion, improves soil fertility, protects groundwater and conserves energy.

sprout.png Animal-friendly farming.

Organic farming promotes the humane treatment of animals. Organically-raised poultry, cattle and other animals are fed a certified organic diet, free of hormones, GMOs (genetically modified organisms) or animal by-products. Rather than relying on antibiotics to reduce disease, organic farmers prevent disease by ensuring that animals have a healthy lifestyle, with lots of pasture, comfortable and spacious shelter, and opportunity for natural socialization. The result? Some certified organic milk cows have a life expectancy three or four times that of their commercial counterparts!

sprout.png Organic Farming in BC

BC has emerged as a leader in organic farming in Canada, with the greatest number of organic farms growing both fruit and vegetables. As of 2003, 21,735 acres of land in BC were being managed organically, with another 5,686 acres in transition. Women are particularly drawn to organic farming, with 40% of organic operators being female (compared to 36% of conventional farm operators).

And over half of BC consumers are buying organic. A 2003 opinion survey commissioned from Synovate Research for the COABC showed that 53% of British Columbians now purchase organic food at least occasionally. The majority of organic shoppers purchase their organic foods at mainstream grocery stores, although farmer’s markets and other direct-to-consumer sales continue to be important sources for regular, frequent organic consumers.

sprout.png The History of Organic Farming

There is nothing ‘trendy’ or new about organic farming: it is the way we produced our food for thousands of years, until the very recent arrival of synthetic fertilizers and agri-chemicals in the last century. During World War II, in fact, two chemicals used in warfare – DDT and ammonium nitrate – were found to have agricultural uses, and became widely used as sources of cheap pesticides and fertilizer, respectively. At that time, farms became increasingly dependent on hybrid plants, mono-culture crops, large-scale irrigation, and heavy mechanization.

But as industrial-scaled, chemically-dependent farming grew, so did its critics. In fact, as early as 1920, critics of large-scale industrial farming emerged in England, and later in the US and Japan. The term “organic” began to be used more widely in the US in the 1950s by the founder of Rodale Press, J.I. Rodale. In Canada, the Canadian Organic Soil Association (later re-named the Land Fellowship) was formed in 1953, by filmmaker and popular educator Christopher Chapman. He produced two influential Canadian documentaries, Understanding the Living Soil and A Sense of Humus.

The popularity of organic farming principles surged in the late 1960s and 1970s, particularly with the 1962 release of scientist Rachel Carson’s ground-breaking book, Silent Spring, in the US. Soon afterward, the US government banned the use of DDT. Organic principles gained renewed focus within the alternative lifestyles movement, as people sought to reconnect with the land, and promote a more harmonious relationship to nature. Several more organic organizations formed around the world, including in several regions of Canada. By 1972, the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM), was established.

The late 1970s and 80s saw the formalization of relationships among organics farmers in countries such as England, France and the US. By the 1990s strong consumer demand for organic produce created the necessary impetus to establish standards for certifying organic foods.

sprout.png Global Trends Today

Today, organic farming is practiced in almost every country in the world. According to the 2004 report of the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements, more than 24 million hectares of agricultural land are now managed organically across the globe, particularly in Europe, Australia and North America. In 2002, the global market was estimated to be worth $23 billion USD. Recently, growth in the organic food sector has been highest in North America, and particularly in Canada. Agriculture Canada estimates that sales of organic products in Canada will continue to rise 20% a year until 2005. Currently, up to 80% of organic goods sold in Canada are imported.

Synthetic substances that are allowed include, for example, copper sulfate, elemental sulfur and Ivermectin. Genetically modified organisms, nanomaterials

The USDA National List of allowed pesticides for organic growers is quite long. The list includes some substances that one would assume would be relatively harmless, such as mulch, dairy cultures or vitamin B. But others on the list should raise eyebrows: Copper sulfate, elemental sulfur, borax and borates are all known to cause some harm to humans and are approved members of the organic list. Among “synthetic” pesticides, pyrethrums are still allowed, and Vitamin C that is chemically derived (and therefore synthetic) is allowed, as are various forms of alcohol.

In accordance with restrictions specified in this section, the following synthetic substances may be used in organic crop production: Provided, That, use of such substances do not contribute to contamination of crops, soil, or water. Substances allowed by this section, except disinfectants and sanitizers in paragraph (a) and those substances in paragraphs ©, (j), (k), and (l) of this section, may only be used when the provisions set forth in §205.206(a) through (d) prove insufficient to prevent or control the target pest.

(a) As algicide, disinfectants, and sanitizer, including irrigation system cleaning systems.

(1) Alcohols.

(i) Ethanol.

(ii) Isopropanol.

(2) Chlorine materials—For pre-harvest use, residual chlorine levels in the water in direct crop contact or as water from cleaning irrigation systems applied to soil must not exceed the maximum residual disinfectant limit under the Safe Drinking Water Act, except that chlorine products may be used in edible sprout production according to EPA label directions.

(i) Calcium hypochlorite.

(ii) Chlorine dioxide.

(iii) Sodium hypochlorite.

(3) Copper sulfate—for use as an algicide in aquatic rice systems, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to those which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(4) Hydrogen peroxide.

(5) Ozone gas—for use as an irrigation system cleaner only.

(6) Peracetic acid—for use in disinfecting equipment, seed, and asexually propagated planting material. Also permitted in hydrogen peroxide formulations as allowed in §205.601(a) at concentration of no more than 6% as indicated on the pesticide product label.

(7) Soap-based algicide/demossers.

(8) Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate (CAS #-15630-89-4)—Federal law restricts the use of this substance in food crop production to approved food uses identified on the product label.

(B) As herbicides, weed barriers, as applicable.

(1) Herbicides, soap-based—for use in farmstead maintenance (roadways, ditches, right of ways, building perimeters) and ornamental crops.

(2) Mulches.

(i) Newspaper or other recycled paper, without glossy or colored inks.

(ii) Plastic mulch and covers (petroleum-based other than polyvinyl chloride (PVC)).

(iii) Biodegradable biobased mulch film as defined in §205.2. Must be produced without organisms or feedstock derived from excluded methods.

© As compost feedstocks—Newspapers or other recycled paper, without glossy or colored inks.

(d) As animal repellents—Soaps, ammonium—for use as a large animal repellant only, no contact with soil or edible portion of crop.

(e) As insecticides (including acaricides or mite control).

(1) Ammonium carbonate—for use as bait in insect traps only, no direct contact with crop or soil.

(2) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1)—the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

(3) Boric acid—structural pest control, no direct contact with organic food or crops.

(4) Copper sulfate—for use as tadpole shrimp control in aquatic rice production, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to levels which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(5) Elemental sulfur.

(6) Lime sulfur—including calcium polysulfide.

(7) Oils, horticultural—narrow range oils as dormant, suffocating, and summer oils.

(8) Soaps, insecticidal.

(9) Sticky traps/barriers.

(10) Sucrose octanoate esters (CAS #s—42922-74-7; 58064-47-4)—in accordance with approved labeling.

(f) As insect management. Pheromones.

(g) As rodenticides. Vitamin D3.

(h) As slug or snail bait. Ferric phosphate (CAS # 10045-86-0).

(i) As plant disease control.

(1) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1)—the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

(2) Coppers, fixed—copper hydroxide, copper oxide, copper oxychloride, includes products exempted from EPA tolerance, Provided, That, copper-based materials must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation in the soil and shall not be used as herbicides.

(3) Copper sulfate—Substance must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation of copper in the soil.

(4) Hydrated lime.

(5) Hydrogen peroxide.

(6) Lime sulfur.

(7) Oils, horticultural, narrow range oils as dormant, suffocating, and summer oils.

(8) Peracetic acid—for use to control fire blight bacteria. Also permitted in hydrogen peroxide formulations as allowed in §205.601(i) at concentration of no more than 6% as indicated on the pesticide product label.

(9) Potassium bicarbonate.

(10) Elemental sulfur.

(j) As plant or soil amendments.

(1) Aquatic plant extracts (other than hydrolyzed)—Extraction process is limited to the use of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide; solvent amount used is limited to that amount necessary for extraction.

(2) Elemental sulfur.

(3) Humic acids—naturally occurring deposits, water and alkali extracts only.

(4) Lignin sulfonate—chelating agent, dust suppressant.

(5) Magnesium sulfate—allowed with a documented soil deficiency.

(6) Micronutrients—not to be used as a defoliant, herbicide, or desiccant. Those made from nitrates or chlorides are not allowed. Soil deficiency must be documented by testing.

(i) Soluble boron products.

(ii) Sulfates, carbonates, oxides, or silicates of zinc, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and cobalt.

(7) Liquid fish products—can be pH adjusted with sulfuric, citric or phosphoric acid. The amount of acid used shall not exceed the minimum needed to lower the pH to 3.5.

(8) Vitamins, B1, C, and E.

(9) Sulfurous acid (CAS # 7782-99-2) for on-farm generation of substance utilizing 99% purity elemental sulfur per paragraph (j)(2) of this section.

(k) As plant growth regulators. Ethylene gas—for regulation of pineapple flowering.

(l) As floating agents in postharvest handling.

(1) Lignin sulfonate.

(2) Sodium silicate—for tree fruit and fiber processing.

(m) As synthetic inert ingredients as classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for use with nonsynthetic substances or synthetic substances listed in this section and used as an active pesticide ingredient in accordance with any limitations on the use of such substances.

(1) EPA List 4—Inerts of Minimal Concern.

(2) EPA List 3—Inerts of unknown toxicity—for use only in passive pheromone dispensers.

(n) Seed preparations. Hydrogen chloride (CAS # 7647-01-0)—for delinting cotton seed for planting.

(o) As production aids. Microcrystalline cheesewax (CAS #'s 64742-42-3, 8009-03-08, and 8002-74-2)-for use in log grown mushroom production. Must be made without either ethylene-propylene co-polymer or synthetic colors.

(p)-(z) [Reserved]

[65 FR 80637, Dec. 21, 2000, as amended at 68 FR 61992, Oct. 31, 2003; 71 FR 53302 Sept. 11, 2006; 72 FR 69572, Dec. 10, 2007; 75 FR 38696, July 6, 2010; 75 FR 77524, Dec. 13, 2010; 77 FR 8092, Feb. 14, 2012; 77 FR 33298, June 6, 2012; 77 FR 45907, Aug. 2, 2012; 78 FR 31821, May 28, 2013; 79 FR 58663, Sept. 30, 2014; 80 FR 77234, Dec. 14, 2015]

I brought this very topic up here over 2 years ago...I was flamed as some sort of witch hunter.. Good luck with the Asses err ahh i mean the Masses.. no one cares so long as Kanye west keeps being stupid and pay day is Friday..I gave up the good fight.. I grow organically and source as much meat from local organic farmers..To heck with the rest..Who ever posted the graph linking Autism with organic farming..Please for the love of Christ, STOP IT..

It was meant tongue-in-cheek. I saw it first when people were linking autism with vaccines.

Anyway, I'd rather eat organic etc. too, but some of the fear mongering over GMOs is a bit much. And I'm pretty sure it all comes about because of ONE company who is trying to patent life forms and allegedly screws over farmers.

GM crops can be modified such that they're drought resistant, require less watering, are less taxing on soil and a plethora of other beneficial attributes. But, instead, in typical hysterical internet fashion everyone focuses their attention on the fear mongering and shocking stories of the vast minority of situations where things are bad. There would be a lot more vegetarians if everyone here already didn't have a taste for meat and paid attention to this stuff the same way P3TA et. al. report on the meat industry.

Over-use of chemicals in farming is not good. In no way would I support that. But if I'm going to be completely honest with myself, Roundup and similar products are a lot less harmful than some other options and even some stuff that gets used in organic farming. Organic farming on its own tends to be far more labour intensive, less productive, and more taxing on the soil. Certain varieties of GMOs farmed organically can fill that gap.

tl;dr - GMOs can be organic too, and beneficial to feeding our over-populated planet.

The things I don't like about organic growing are the use of the word organic, there are no non organic vegetables, I'm certified organic by the dictionary. And 2 is the marketing that must put down others produce that is exactly the same as dangerous. Now that so many food poisoning is tracing back to organic they might slow down a bit on that.

Seven poisons are now approved to apply right up to harvest time, and applied at ten day intervals.

Registered Pesticides
As of May 12, 2015, there are seven registered pesticides approved by the Pest Management Regulatory Agency for use on cannabis (marijuana) that is produced commercially indoors. They are:

• MilStop® Foliar Fungicide
  • Actinovate® SP Fungicide
  • Opal Insecticidal Soap
  • Neudosan Commercial
  • Kopa Insecticidal Soap
  • Rootshield® HC Biological Fungicide Wettable Powder
  • Rootshield® WP Biological Fungicide

MilStop® Foliar Fungicide is one of the 7 poisons the LP's can feed you as you are medicating. Roll one up and read on....

PRECAUTIONS

HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS
CAUTION: Avoid contact with eyes. May irritate eyes. Causes skin and mucous membrane irritation.
DO NOT get on skin. Avoid breathing dust or spray mist. Do not store near food or feed.

Sounds good so far though....

PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
Applicators and other handlers must wear appropriate eyewear, waterproof gloves, long-sleeved shirt
and pants or coveralls, and footwear with socks.

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

But ingesting it is OK, right ?

INGESTION: Call a poison control centre or doctor immediately for treatment advice.

Have person sip a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce
vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control centre or doctor. Do
not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.

In Case of Emergency, Call CHEMTREC: (800) 424-9300

If this is intended for use on vegetables that must be washed several times before use, and as HC knows no one washes their cannabis, then why are they OK with poisoning patients ???

, They want to protect kids do they??!! :blahblah1:

Edited by GbayGiant

Seven poisons are now approved to apply right up to harvest time, and applied at ten day intervals.

Registered Pesticides

As of May 12, 2015, there are seven registered pesticides approved by the Pest Management Regulatory Agency for use on cannabis (marijuana) that is produced commercially indoors. They are:

• MilStop® Foliar Fungicide
  • Actinovate® SP Fungicide
  • Opal Insecticidal Soap
  • Neudosan Commercial
  • Kopa Insecticidal Soap
  • Rootshield® HC Biological Fungicide Wettable Powder
  • Rootshield® WP Biological Fungicide

MilStop® Foliar Fungicide is one of the 7 poisons the LP's can feed you as you are medicating. Roll one up and read on....

Save your money on buying these expensive , dangerous sounding chemicals. Essentially, these are very little more than spraying your plants with a baking soda slurry as a fungicide and a little dawn dish soap as a insecticide. The MDS sheets for some very ordinary items can sound pretty scary.

edit:

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927593

Edited by dave524

I agree.

No one in their right mind would use such things !!! It is only to save their bottom line. profit!

Government set up LP's are trying to force this poison down the throats of the sick!

Edited by GbayGiant

Maybe they'll make Roundup in pill form so we can take it in more easily and save the farmers from having to spray it and waste all that time trying to kill us. :whistling:

That's no joke. Monsanto has a history of repurposing chemicals. If they can find *any* disorder or illness that was improved by even the most statistically insignificant amount, they would market Glyphosate as a pharmaceutical.

It seems like a lot of people begrudge profit however they complain about not having more money. If you don't like chemicals no problem but to begrudge companies making a profit is wacky. After all money is a driving factor in most peoples decisions.

Art

It seems like a lot of people begrudge profit however they complain about not having more money. If you don't like chemicals no problem but to begrudge companies making a profit is wacky. ***After all money is a driving factor in most peoples decisions.***

Art

That may be true, but it doesn't automatically make it right. History is replete with wrong-headed or unethical decisions made by corporations in search of profit at any cost (to others).

Spent my teens working on a mixed crop farm thoughout the sixties, Roundup is pretty tame compared to the stuff we used back then as herbicides. I know it doesn't make it right or friendly but look up stuff like Atrazine, Mecoprop, 2-4-D, Dicambra and 2-4-5T and their dangers as herbicide. We also did potatoes, the seed potatoes we would plant would be dusted with Captan as a fungicide and I believe we also sprayed the plants with it as a powdery mildew prevention. In my life I think we have made a lot of progress in the farm chemicals we used. Oh , we had over a thousand fruit trees, pretty sure we put a lot of DDT in the air as well.

It seems like a lot of people begrudge profit however they complain about not having more money. If you don't like chemicals no problem but to begrudge companies making a profit is wacky. After all money is a driving factor in most peoples decisions.

Art

.. that's ok , not everyone understands. :)

Edited by GbayGiant

Agent Orange was just a blend of 2 herbicides routinely used in agriculture in the 60's and also sprayed in copious quantities along railway tracks, hydro right of ways and roadsides in the 60's.

Oh I know. Just also happened to be a very effective and brutal agent used in chemical warfare

Militerized I guess would be the term

Edited by manitoubass2

Right or wrong really is not relevant if it can not change the outcome. We have built this trap really strong and being a world economical standard of operation it will not change regardless of even an entire nation going against it. Don't get me wrong i use no chemicals in my recreational garden but if it was for profit I would use ever means needed to keep in competition with others and to maximize my profits. At times it is cheaper to pay the penalty than to stop using an illegal compound. Case in point is in 1974 an ice maker was sited for polluting the bayous of Louisiana the fine was $50,000.00 a week and for 3 years they paid the fine. Then it went to 100,000.00 and they shut down and moved the factory. The down side was 60% of the economy in the area died that day. All of this revolved around money and when big business left it was still a money issue since no more paychecks. On personal levels it is easy to see and say that is wrong we got to stop but in real life the domino effect has a shock wave that on a personal level view just does not take in account. The reality is that big business will continue there ways and YOU have the right and the ability to not support or buy their products. If you choose to not support lets say just the gasoline industry (disregarding all of the petroleum product and byproducts for simplicity) then you should not complain that someone drives a car or boat. It is the freedom of choice that is just as important as the rights of people who choose to not use gasoline.

Art