why are we being fed by a poison expert

GbayGiant

Yep, that's scary stuff, and its on a global scale. It's all about wealth and power, not the environment or peoples health. Even worse, it's all sanctioned by world governments for use.

The thing is, for the most part farmers love this stuff. Their yields increase, less maintenance of fields is required so costs are lowered. It's easy to tell when a field gets sprayed to kill everything. I now see farmers around here switching to no till farming too, which certainly has it's benefits, but then must rely on herbicides for weed control instead of mechanical tillage, which takes time and money. So it comes down to cost, like just about everything.

Cheers

Typical shock gobbly-gook from someone who is hoping that the viewers won't dig to deep. Fear mongering is right.

Poison Expert -> more like herbicide expert. But that doesn't have the same ring. Might as well call a butcher a Death Expert. Sure, it's poison, but you don't get rid of weeds by asking them to leave.

It's very easy to say that we need to get rid of all round-up ready and GMO plants and go back to organic. That's great if you live in a first world country and make enough money to afford expensive food. Because without GMO's our crop yield goes way down, world hunger increases, and prices go up. Less food, same demand.

Can we all stand to eat a bit better? Sure - eat less processed food, buy raw ingredients and make it yourself. Processing the food will have much more affect on your body than the modifications that are done to increase yield.

Actually, working on a farm during the sixties, the stuff sprayed today is actually less scary than the stuff we used on a regular basis back then. I recall DDT and arsenic based insecticides, atrazine killed everything but corn, once applied that field would grow only corn for at least three years and 245-T , better known as Agent Orange as a herbicide. The genetically modified food stuff is scary though.

Actually, working on a farm during the sixties, the stuff sprayed today is actually less scary than the stuff we used on a regular basis back then. I recall DDT and arsenic based insecticides, atrazine killed everything but corn, once applied that field would grow only corn for at least three years and 245-T , better known as Agent Orange as a herbicide. The genetically modified food stuff is scary though.

is scary because you haven't taken the time to educate yourself on gmo's. Take some spare time and watch the video. Those people that make these documentaries are experts in science. They don't lie and their making the world of agriculture a better business.

Just remember,the people that make these videos about flaming seed and chemical companies are the same ones that spend huge dollars to see that your favourite fishing hole or hunting grounds are cut off completely.

is scary because you haven't taken the time to educate yourself on gmo's. Take some spare time and watch the video. Those people that make these documentaries are experts in science. They don't lie and their making the world of agriculture a better business.

Just remember,the people that make these videos about flaming seed and chemical companies are the same ones that spend huge dollars to see that your favourite fishing hole or hunting grounds are cut off completely.

My take on it is . the use of gmo's in agriculture now allow us to use less environmentally damaging herbicides and controls in agriculture than in my day. Roundup is a pussycat compared to 2-4-D, 2-4-5-T and Atrazine in the environment . Actually, I'm more concerned with estrogen and antibiotics in our water systems and drinking water and its effect on fish and other wildlife.

Yes Roundup is a poison, but it is far less dangerous than what it replaced. I sprayed this stuff for weed control in orchards and vineyards in my teens and as a Forester U of T 74 , I know it was used in copious amounts by roadcrews, railways and hydro crews for weed and brush control on railway lines and hydro right of ways at that time. You can buy Roundup, without a permit for small time weed control at CTC, this stuff is banned by International Treaties.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/contact-herbicide-245-t

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4,5-Trichlorophenoxyacetic_acid

FYI - Organic isn't necessarily better. Organic farmers still use fertilizer, pesticide and herbicide. Just different "organic" varieties. And those organic chemicals can often be even more toxic and harmful to the environment than anything Monsanto, BASF or Dow puts out.

Also, the people who put out these cutesy YouTube videos or "documentaries" aren't 100% honest with people either. They have an agenda to push and they want to show something compelling. For example, I'm sure some people have seen the documentary Gasnation where there was a scene with an individual's faucet lights on fire. Turns out that the cause of the methane in his water had nothing to do with fracking, but it looked scary and people ate it up.

GMO's are saving lives and feeding millions of people around the world. I do have a problem with some of the unethical things Monsanto does, but you can't discount all GMOs because of one company.

Roundup (Glyphosate) is nasty stuff. It was originally an industrial de-scaling agent that was repurposed as a herbicide. It has no business being in our food. The World Health Organization has declared it a probable carcinogen, and I believe it damages the gut biome and causes autoimmune disorders (personal opinion alert!).

I don't claim that the following video is from an unbiased source, but from my additional reading the science is pretty accurate as far as I can tell.

Edited by Dutch01

Say what you will, since they started with genetically altered wheat I have had issues with my health.

I now stay away from wheat products, but occasionally have some during a weak moment.

On Wednesday I ate some nice Italian bread, on Thursday I had to take the day off work due to severe cramps and acid reflux.

Prior to the 1980's this was not an issue.

Say what you will, since they started with genetically altered wheat I have had issues with my health.

I now stay away from wheat products, but occasionally have some during a weak moment.

On Wednesday I ate some nice Italian bread, on Thursday I had to take the day off work due to severe cramps and acid reflux.

Prior to the 1980's this was not an issue.

There is no genetically modified wheat grown or eaten anywhere in the world, and it has never been on the market

There is no genetically modified wheat grown or eaten anywhere in the world, and it has never been on the market

You are correct, what I meant was the use of Glyphosate on wheat as well as other foods is causing these issues including gluten sensitivity and increases in Celiac disease.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/14/glyphosate-celiac-disease-connection.aspx

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/03/28/do-genetically-modified-foods-cause-gluten-allergies/

http://sustainablepulse.com/2014/02/19/roundup-linked-global-boom-celiac-disease-gluten-intolerance/#.VzYD9YSDFBd

I'd be cautious about drawing conclusions from perceived correlations. Just because your gut (pun intended) tells you something is true doesn't mean it is.

My favourite chart when talking about this type of stuff:

autism_organic_foods.jpg

And as for "engineered" foods, have you ever seen the ancient strain of grass that was bred into becoming corn today? genetic modification is just an advanced form of selective breeding.

corn.jpg

And most of this was done by Native Americans prior to European colonization.

I don't want to sound condescending here, but a lot of this is simply fear of science. There is nothing inherently wrong with GMOs.

As for glyphosate, again I'm not going to support Monsanto. And it's true that it is a 'probable carcinogen." But do you know what else are probable carcinogens?

Frying, emissions from high-temperature.

Hairdresser or barber (workplace exposure as).

Red meat (consumption of).

Shiftwork that involves circadian disruption.

You are correct, what I meant was the use of Glyphosate on wheat as well as other foods is causing these issues including gluten sensitivity and increases in Celiac disease.

It's false claims that glysophate is linked to celiac disease

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/14/glyphosate-celiac-disease-connection.aspx

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/03/28/do-genetically-modified-foods-cause-gluten-allergies/

http://sustainablepulse.com/2014/02/19/roundup-linked-global-boom-celiac-disease-gluten-intolerance/#.VzYD9YSDFBd

I'd be cautious about drawing conclusions from perceived correlations. Just because your gut (pun intended) tells you something is true doesn't mean it is.

My favourite chart when talking about this type of stuff:

autism_organic_foods.jpg

And as for "engineered" foods, have you ever seen the ancient strain of grass that was bred into becoming corn today? genetic modification is just an advanced form of selective breeding.

corn.jpg

And most of this was done by Native Americans prior to European colonization.

I don't want to sound condescending here, but a lot of this is simply fear of science. There is nothing inherently wrong with GMOs.

As for glyphosate, again I'm not going to support Monsanto. And it's true that it is a 'probable carcinogen." But do you know what else are probable carcinogens?

Frying, emissions from high-temperature.

Hairdresser or barber (workplace exposure as).

Red meat (consumption of).

Shiftwork that involves circadian disruption.

You're correct that technically selective breeding is a form of genetic modification. But that doesn't mean genetic modification is no more than selective breeding accelerated. You can never selectively breed pig genes into a fish, for example.

As for probable carcinogens, sure there are lots. It doesn't mean that I want to intake an industrial de-scaling agent with my vegetables, and it is becoming increasingly hard to make an informed choice. Monsanto spends hundreds of millions of dollars fighting labeling so that I can't make an informed choice about what I eat.

I would encourage everyone to watch the video I posted. It's not a slick Al Gore style "documentary" (does that qualify as an oxymoron?). It is a lecture about how Glyphosate works, in the field and in your body.

Edited by Dutch01