I found her...

Joeytier

Put some time in on the water chasing brookies these last 2 days (yes, again)...

Snuck out Monday evening after dinner to a big waterbody 30 mins from home with lots of trout and great shore fishing water and was rewarded with two beauty specks in the 16-17 in range...the fish in the video nearly made my heart stop he hit my EGB so friggin hard!

IMG_20160509_180151121_zpsotjexdmw.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/Placeholder_/Mobile%20Uploads/th_VID_20160509_183324741_zpsqeuga4ct.mp4

Today I met up with a buddy from Mattawa to hit a speck lake thats been stocked with splake over the past few years. The day was extremely slow, water started out in the mid-40s and there was no activity at all until mid-afternoon we started to see water temps up in the 50s in one particular end of the lake, and started to get a few short strikes, then it happened..dont let anyone tell you that trout get sluggish when they old and large, as this was likely the most intense fight of my life, trolling a tiny go-getter in 5 FOW no less!IMG_20160510_184600_zps3if4kmjv.jpgIMG_20160510_143949911_zpsmbqc62nw.jpg

Update: Never had an issue ID'ing splake/specks before, but this ain't no speck. So it's my PB splake instead :)

Edited by Joeytier

Wow, what a giant!

I did a bit of reading too and I think with 40 it's safe to say it's speckzilla.

Where the brookies in there before stocked or natural? I find it weird if they stocked splake into a lake with natural brook trout.

Wow, what a giant!

I did a bit of reading too and I think with 40 it's safe to say it's speckzilla.

Where the brookies in there before stocked or natural? I find it weird if they stocked splake into a lake with natural brook trout.

Natural. There was a time when these lakes were hit hard and was likely fished to the point of very little angler return, and once splake became the latest craze for hatcheries in Ontario, these lakes all got stocked with them.

Nice early season fish! Yes, when the water is cold I often find the bite doesn't start until in the afternoon. But on a calm sunny day it's hard not to be out in the morning.

Over the years I have found that I get more large specs on 5-inch articulated streamers than anything else I put in the water.

Nice early season fish! Yes, when the water is cold I often find the bite doesn't start until in the afternoon. But on a calm sunny day it's hard not to be out in the morning.

Over the years I have found that I get more large specs on 5-inch articulated streamers than anything else I put in the water.

Yep, that is usually the case, especially on frosty mornings...things are starting to really move now :)