Lakair

wvmedic

Anyone know the status of Lakair since the new owners have taken over?

I'm looking for a place on the West Arm that has tent camping as an option.

Anyone know of a good place besides the old Lakair?

Thanks, Jeff

The last I had heard, the new owners were doing a lot of remodeling. Looks like they were completely rebuilding the one cabin that sits down there by the launch. It was my understanding that the new owner would be doing seasonal rentals only(What I recall hearing anyway). Some of OFC'ers are booking now up on the West Arm at Mashkinonje for the Musky opener since Lakair closed. I'm going to hit Memquisit for a week this September and give that a try. A number of us are already booked for the opener this year at Mashkinonje.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Thanks Rich,

The Wife and I were up on the French and Nipissing this past June/July before she was diagnosed with cancer. We spent our 32nd wedding anniversary there fishing. One day while on the lake, I decided to make a run by Lakair. They were remodeling at the time, I spoke with the owner's Brother. He said that they planned on opening this season, he didn't mention anything about seasonal rentals only. I didn't get any contact information as he told me that the plan was to use the current Lakair web site.

With the seasonal rentals, are you referring to the campground only or the cabins also?

I want to make the trip with my Son and his Family, hopefully my Wife as well. Though I will be footing the bill, so camping is a huge incentive.

Though if I were to go back and stay in a lodge, Memquisit would be it. We docked our boat there for a few days while we were there. Great folks and would stay there without hesitation.

Jeff

I hope they keep casual campers in mind and not just seasonal (if that's re: tents and trailers). I know Leslie and Kevin were looking at ditching seasonal trailers and there was only the one left by the showers.

I hope they reopen soon, I'd like to drive by and see what changes have been undertaken. I liked the mix of cabins, trailers and tenters.

At this time with the demise of Kevin Lake Air was sold and the units went under rehab. The units are seasonal rentals and the camping has been discontinued. The personal house that Leslie and Kevin lived in still remains with the family.

Art

Thanks for confirming Art. Basically what I remember from being up that way last year. Lew actually stopped by and was talking to the folks there - which is where I got my info. Lot's of great times there at Lakair. First time I ever went camping was at Lakair. I've heard lots of good things about Memquisit, so we're gonna give it go for some fall musky action ..... We hope anyway.

Jeff, O am saddened to hear of your wife's health problem. A thing no one should have to endure. Cancer free here for 5 years and counting.

I have not been to Memquisit but I can't see any lodge that way being any nicer to stay at than Maskinonje. Regan and Goldie are fantastic hosts and you can't find a cleaner place anywhere. Italo Labignon chose to stay their and shoot an episode, that says a lot. If not for Goldie I would have sunk my boat even the 4 year old helped. I hope they have remedied the launch though. Where ever you choose to go don't forget to put in the plug. Put in the plug, put in the plug, don't forget the plug.

Old Ironmaker, that is great that you are five years out. We are hoping for the same with my Wife, she is day +13 today after her bone marrow transplant. We are still at the hospital for a couple more weeks.

Thank you for the information on the other camp, and the plug.

Jeff

Jeff, sorry to hear about your wife. I wish you and her the best.

Bummer on the Lakair deal, it is/was a special place and I always enjoyed going there. Even my son that doesn't really like to camp enjoyed going there and just the other day asked me about the place.

I met and made a lot of friends going there, it will be missed

Hey, Whopper thank you Sir for the positive thoughts.

Yes the Lakair deal is a bummer, I love that place. In the years I have been going, I have stayed in the cabins when I was a kid. As an adult, I have camped there. I have had better success elsewhere, though the west arm of Nipissing is more about nostalgia for me. Also the convenience of close proximity of stores, hydro and hot showers.

Not sure that the Wife or the Grandson's would like the amenities in the bush. My Wife is a tough Woman, though she has some anxiety about being so far out in the bush where I have been going in Québec. The Grandson's are young, 9 and 10 so I'm not sure how they would do in the bush.

Jeff

mashkinonje Lodge has been the host to myself and a few other people over the last 3 years and they are top notch. They have bent over backwards to make things happen and as they have had time and money they improved the lodges and surrounding area.I whole heartily feel you will have a great time there.

http://www.mashkinonjelodge.com/

Art

The Grandson's are young, 9 and 10 so I'm not sure how they would do in the bush.

Jeff

Only one way to find out, get them out there. Roughing it isn't something you learn late in life or in school. Once they have been to Disney World and a few 3 star resorts even, camping is something they might not catch onto. I was 23 the first time I slept in a tent, too late for me to learn to care to enjoy it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Lakair = ed, Being greeted by a hooters gal,but was told,she,s my wife. New friends made,and finally meet board members that were great.North and south, of the boarder. The meaning F F was revieled. Teabagging was painfull. Onezys were in style, for one member anyways. Fishing was good for some. Some came in with full stringers of eyes after dark. Huge moose/venison burgers, made on the RED X BBQ. Crawling to your tent after a good night of stories,singing. Keeping an eye on a member, so he wouldnt slip into the camp fire. Trip to the the hospital to get hooks removed. The pike tourny and pike feed after. Vitiam water for those that felt ill,or ill after.LOL

Lakair =.s, some good times.

Will be missed.

Old Ironmaker, I agree and I have thought about it. Might have to get them in a tent a couple times near home and see how they do.

Jeff

I would guess to say that most of us learned how to rough it at the age of 7-8 camping in our pup tents in the back yard.......

Old Ironmaker, I agree and I have thought about it. Might have to get them in a tent a couple times near home and see how they do.

Jeff

Make sure they can't sneak back into the warm dry house.

Lakair = ed, Being greeted by a hooters gal,but was told,she,s my wife. New friends made,and finally meet board members that were great.North and south, of the boarder. The meaning F F was revieled. Teabagging was painfull. Onezys were in style, for one member anyways. Fishing was good for some. Some came in with full stringers of eyes after dark. Huge moose/venison burgers, made on the RED X BBQ. Crawling to your tent after a good night of stories,singing. Keeping an eye on a member, so he wouldnt slip into the camp fire. Trip to the the hospital to get hooks removed. The pike tourny and pike feed after. Vitiam water for those that felt ill,or ill after.LOL

That sounds really fun, it's not just the destination or journey it is the company that counts most.

Will be missed.

I would guess to say that most of us learned how to rough it at the age of 7-8 camping in our pup tents in the back yard.......

You had a back yard!!!! Bragger.

Will be missed.

Thanks for the memories Brian. Was a ritual for many years ( I believe I missed the first 2). Surprisingly there were few casualties, (mostly liver and brain damage from the white lightening, the source of which shall not pass from these lips :) )....this fishing was always stellar, the catching not always, but the times and friendships epic! We always seemed to have more than plenty of pike fillets for the pot luck fish fry and awards (BTW the batter b-i-t-c-h-e-s were my favorite, gently caressing the fillets with egg and secret blend coating :P )....oh and I joined the FF's immediately and unfortunately never left to this day.. :D Vitamin water never worked for me.....bloody ceasar all the way!

Edited by John

I too would recommend Mashkinonje Lodge. Regan and Goldie have done a great job since they took over. They welcome you warmly and take care of you well during your stay. Regan has done a great job of learning the waters and "spots"....

@ Old Ironmaker, for sure on that. I will take them away from home,in the woods somewhere.

Guy's, thank you for sharing some of your exploits from the Lakair get togethers.

I wish I could have made at least one.

Jeff