Trouble shooting boat leak

The last two trips on my Fiberglas bass boat I took on a lot of water. The first time the boat was in the water for a week straight and we had lots of rain so I thought nothing of it. The last trip of the season I was out on the water for around 8 hours and the boat filled up just below the deck.

Today instead of driving to put the boat in the water I figured filling the hull with water would have the same effect. The only slow drip I could see came from the plug and that stopped after I cranked it down with a wrench.

Could a slow drip leak like that fill the hull in 8 hours or could it be the live well line that for some reason didn't show on my hull test? Anything I'm missing? The hull has a few little nicks and dings but were bone dry on the test.

Thanks

Check your live well drain lines. It's possible one has a crack is allowing water to enter the bilge.

I had a missing rivet in my aluminium boat and after a full day on the water I had the kind of water you are talking about.

That was through one 3/16" hole.

I had a plug that leaked so I bought a stainless steel one that I could get tighter. Try a new plug.

Water pressure trying to get in should be more then water trying to get out.

So that test might not be the best.

If your inspection and test (and yes do check all the livewells etc as recommended) hasn't revealed anything further I'd put it back in the water and watch closely. There may also have been some grit or debris in the drain tube that allowed a bit of leakage around the plug (in addition to needing tightened), which may have been flushed out when you pulled the plug. Worth a shot anyhow - better than tearing things apart to find nothing.

Michael

If you can use your garden hose to pump water into your live well. Shoot in to the intake with your pump on and stand at the back access to see of water builds in the bilge.

Spray directly in to your live well and see where it drains.

My one other thought is to do a very close up inspection of the bow of the hull. If there are cracks they maybe closed on land, but when under pressure in the water may open just enough for water to seep in. especially if it is by the bow. Do you see any small chips in the paint?

If it takes 8 hours to get that amount then the entrance has to be very small. I had two drain lines to front live wells unhooked by a repair person and it sure didn't take that long to fill.

Good luck.

Last season, I was taking on a little more water than usual. After close inspection, it was the livewell pump inlet pipe had cracked before the hose connection. Wouldnt have found it unless you put a bit of pressure on the tube.

My guess is maybe the sliding of the fuel tank may have given it a good jolt at one time. Since then, I've made a bracket where the handle of the tank slides over a 2X4 which is screwed to the floor. No more moving fuel tank.

Good luck with yours. But that much water should be noticed quickly upon entering a lake.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally put the boat in the water today to check for leaks. The leak was coming from one of the bolts that mount the engine. My thought for repair is remove the nut and washer from the inside, use a marine caulking/adhesive and return the washer and nut. I figured to not tighten the other bolts so I don't break any existing seal and if they were loose they would leak to. Any opinions?

Edited by mistaredone