onboard charger

Hey all, I just picked up a new terrova 80# and obviously don't want to be pulling two batteries out to charge up after every trip. I am looking for recommendations on brands for onboard chargers. Space is a factor as well so if some brands are smaller than that would be better all other things being equal. I'm not too picky on amperage as I don't typically fish two days in a row so a slower charge is fine.

Thanks in advance!

AA.

A slow charger will take forever to charge deep cycle batteries,

Ideally you want to charge a deep cycle battery quickly up to 80% and then reduce to trickle / lower amperage till 100%.

Even without an on board charger you don't need to pull the batteries out, you can use a portable automatic charger if space is an issue in your boat.

Charger amps depends on you battery amp hour rating, charge rate shouldn't be more than 20% ( maximum) of battery's amp hr rating,

I don't axceed 15%.

All chargers or almost all are smart chargers and they blast your battery for 3-5 minutes what ever they say then charge them at the most efficient manner possible.

I buy 10-15 amp and let them do there job.

If you cheap out and get a 2 amp trickle charger you will always wonder why your battery's are crap.

For sure Minn kota and Guess, Ranger boat charger are better than BPS brand. the only thing with them is you may never get them back from warrenty. I've had good luck with the BPS brand and if they crap they hand you a new one on the spot.

I would recommend that you buy a 3 bank charge if you have higher end electronics and also charge your cranking battery.

BPS some times doesn't have a replacement 3 bank but if you kick up a fuss it will be laughable how quick a charger.

If you've got three batteries on board definitely go with a three bank changer. It'll make your life easier and you'll always have healthy batteries. I have the Noco Genius 4 bank in my boat. Dead easy and at 10 amps per bank, the batteries are ready overnight.

Prosport 12 by Pro Mariner, BPS carries them. I have the Gen1 and its been flawless for 6 years.

http://promariner.com/products/waterproof-on-board-marine-battery-chargers/prosport-series/

You'll enjoy that 80# Terrova.

I have had this charger for over 15 years and it works VERY well. Batteries are always ready to the next morning and I have this charger plugged in whenever I'm not fishing including all winter long. Batteries last 9 years and still going when I replace them just because they are 9 years old.

This charger is reasonably priced and I'm sure you'll love it......and do consider a 3 bank model.

I have had this charger for over 15 years and it works VERY well. Batteries are always ready to the next morning and I have this charger plugged in whenever I'm not fishing including all winter long. Batteries last 9 years and still going when I replace them just because they are 9 years old.

This charger is reasonably priced and I'm sure you'll love it......and do consider a 3 bank model.

I use the same one (3 bank) with similar great results (only 5 years old though...).

Edited by G.mech

I have an older MK 330. 10 amps per bank and 3 banks. Its at least ten years old and I bought it used off of a guy who just didn't need it anymore. He had placed alligator clips on it and as I was adding another battery (because I installed an 80lb terrova), I figured I would just leave it out of the boat. I pull the boat into the garage and have it clipped up in 10 seconds more than it would just take me to plug the charger in.

I mention this because in my circumstance, the size of the charger is irrelevant.

My 10 amp per bank charger will charge all batteries after a day of use in about 4 hours. This is why people are saying stay away from the trickle chargers as you would double or triple that time frame.

My old charger was a Guest 4/4 (2 banks and 4amps per bank). It took 8-12 hours to fully charge the batteries.

My onboard charger just died. So I am looking for one

I see some bad review for this one and their blurb. Seems to be wrong or at least unclear

Pro Mariner ProSport 20+ Generation 3 20 Amp, 12/24/36 Volt, 3 Bank Battery Charger

20 Amp charging capacilty

12, 24, or 36 Volt output

3 Battery banks

Watterproof, prewired

Microprocessor controled, w/ LED Status indicators

They are only 6.33 amps per bank. And it does not do 24 or 36 volt output It does 3 12 volt batteries

Think I will keep looking for now

My onboard charger just died. So I am looking for one

I see some bad review for this one and their blurb. Seems to be wrong or at least unclear

Pro Mariner ProSport 20+ Generation 3 20 Amp, 12/24/36 Volt, 3 Bank Battery Charger

3 Battery banks

Watterproof, prewired

Microprocessor controled, w/ LED Status indicators

They are only 6.33 amps per bank. And it does not do 24 or 36 volt output It does 3 12 volt batteries

Think I will keep looking for now

It's a on demand charger so if your starting battery only needs 2 amps your trolling motor battery gets 18 amps........and the correct way to charge a 24 or 36 volt system is that each battery gets a positive and neg lead from the charger and charges them as they really are, a 12 volt battery.

Edited by Mister G

Thanks for the replies all. I will keep doing more research as I haven't gotten time to install my motor yet (I still need to decide how to arrange the two batteries up front).

Do most of you charge your cranking batteries after a day out? I never have and have never had a problem but I typically run my big motor enough that it keeps up with the drain of my fishfinder. I wonder if I am just pushing my luck...?

cheers,

AA.

You really to watch, that MK 330 was likely like mine and it's a 3 banks of 10amp chargers in 1 box. With the dollar likely 5-600 these days. If don't read the box you might think it 30 amp per battery.

I also had 3-4 Guest and only one gave me issues.

Guest. I have had them and they worked well

I understand the way it works but their blurb makes it sound like I could charge a 36 volt battery with their unit

And with 3 batteries if working right they will all draw down the same amount each day there for require the same amps which will be 6.33 amps per battery

And as Bill I see no reason to charge my truck nor my main boat battery that's why I have a big ass alternator on them and not deep cycle battery on them

I take my charger and batteries out of the boat for winter, and that is the only time I put my starter on a charger

I picked up a lithium ion battery pack charger to keep in the truck, when I am fishing remote lakes/camping I keep that in the boat as a precaution, but have never needed to use it for myself but I did help two other boaters last season

I charge the deep cycles and the starting battery after each use. I do not run enough during the day to keep the charge up. On a typical after work outing, the cranking battery is fully charged within 5-20 minutes. When I have just finished a tournament with livewell pumps/recirc on all day and the fish finder on all day, it takes a lot longer even after making a few runds here and there.

It's true if you have some little $400 fish finder and really don't challenge your cranker. Don't buy a charger or you troll all day.

If run one of these 3-4 screen 12 inch head setups with a pair of Talons you will be boosting your boat every day. Most new Skeeters and Ranger have a switch that you flip and boost off your trolling battery's.

Some are even running a 5 battery set up.

Not important around the Kawrathas but if you are at Main Duck and your boat won't start you are in trouble.

It's true if you have some little $400 fish finder and really don't challenge your cranker. Don't buy a charger or you troll all day.

If run one of these 3-4 screen 12 inch head setups with a pair of Talons you will be boosting your boat every day. Most new Skeeters and Ranger have a switch that you flip and boost off your trolling battery's.

Some are even running a 5 battery set up.

Not important around the Kawrathas but if you are at Main Duck and your boat won't start you are in trouble.

This is correct, even if you don't have a $100K boat. My boat doesn't have the switch so I just carry booster cables. Cranking over a 200hp+ V6 is different than a 40 after a long day of running graphs and livewells. The outboard's charging system is not designed to replace that amount of discharge.

No switch in mine either.

Couple hints for a boosting situation. I only have the higher end electronics and if they shut down you need to start your engine now.

If it won't turn over the first time and check battery cables and try 1 more time. Get your cables and try 1 more time. Still no go. Leave cables attached and DON'T try for 30-40 minutes. Give the battery time to get a little more charge in it.

Most guy like turning the key 20-30 times. If it didn't start first time it won't start on the 29th time.