Slip Float Slabs

So my spring fishing is still geared towards panfish as the water is still a bit cold for carp and also water levels are way too low for most of my spring carpin spots...

I posted on FB to see if anyone wanted to go throw some slip floats and see if we could get some crappies... I had a buddy jump on the offer...

We got a few OOS largemouth quick so we moved to find our true target... Shortly after we hit a slab... Then another... And another... After releasing around 6 big slabs I thought I should get my pail cause I haven't had a crappie feed in years... We managed another 6 slabs to finish up our quick trip... 6 crappie have me 2 pounds of fillets they were so big...

We didn't get the quantity but they were all quality with a few 14" fish...

I was catching on a smoke/flake yamaminnow and my buddy was using a white/chartreuse tube...

Only downside was leaving while they were still biting cause I had chores... Lol

F716643F-2AC8-4A21-8B4D-FF5DC86B5ABE.jpg

1621C84C-B884-4697-8FEB-ECA823591EE3.jpg

Those look Beefee Mike. I hear they are a tasty sweet fish. Like Perch? I never have fished for them but wanted to. I caught exactly 1 in my entire life fishing a small quarry in Nanticoke. It was an accident. A pal knew a hot spot at a Marina along Erie. Of course the day we go loaded for Bear there's a new gate across the water, NO FISHING !!!! Maybe someday. I met a couple fishing in up state NY, Muskellunge Lake. They go for Crappie for 4 days every year and hammer enough to give all their kids and grand kids many feeds. Both in their late 70's. They fill buckets everyday and clean fish for 2 hours a day. They pretty well fill at least 1/2 of the camps freezer before they are done. It's the only weekend they fish for the year. They have been going to this lake for 50 plus years, never missed a Memorial Day there. They had their daughter change her weeding date because it was Memorial Day weekend. I hope they are well.

Those look Beefee Mike. I hear they are a tasty sweet fish. Like Perch? I never have fished for them but wanted to. I caught exactly 1 in my entire life fishing a small quarry in Nanticoke. It was an accident. A pal knew a hot spot at a Marina along Erie. Of course the day we go loaded for Bear there's a new gate across the water, NO FISHING !!!! Maybe someday. I met a couple fishing in up state NY, Muskellunge Lake. They go for Crappie for 4 days every year and hammer enough to give all their kids and grand kids many feeds. Both in their late 70's. They fill buckets everyday and clean fish for 2 hours a day. They pretty well fill at least 1/2 of the camps freezer before they are done. It's the only weekend they fish for the year. They have been going to this lake for 50 plus years, never missed a Memorial Day there. They had their daughter change her weeding date because it was Memorial Day weekend. I hope they are well.

They are a funny fish... Hard to locate on the St.Lawrece River... I used to catch literally a hunted a day off our dock at our cottage until the comercial guys started putting nets at the mouth of our creek...

They taste very similar to perch in my opinion... I did em up in some Cajun fish crisp and the kids gobbled it all up

Nice haul Mike. Beans and I made it out yesterday for a few hours and got some crappie but none the size of your beauties. But we caught lotsa huge Gills. Just a catch and release day so I hope there still there for next time.

Personally I think they taste nothing like perch and there flesh is not near as firm....it's almost mushy went deep fried...I prefer them baked.

Actually crappie are a better tasting fish then perch but they are extremely delicate flesh and must be cared for after the catch by either using a livewell or right on ice in the cooler. Worst thing to do with them is put them on a stringer and float them on warm surface waters.

There flesh is paper white and shouldn't be over cooked......a hot cast iron skillet with veg oil is the way to go and cook them fast until just turning golden brown.

Everyone has their own taste. I would take perch over any other freshwater fish hands down, no questions asked. I dont turn my nose up to crappies or walleye but if given a choice, i will take perch.

S.

Edited by Sinker