Carp set up?

Garcia96

Before I was given a decent 11' carp rod and an Okuma baitrunner reel I used a regular 7' spinning rod and reel with the drag set very loose...I got very good at tightening down the drag when I got a carp on...

I thought about using my bait casting reel with the reel on "free spool"...

I used alarms and bank stix with all of the above...very handy to not lose your outfit if a carp takes and you are not paying attention...

U prefer very loose line? I'm very new to carp fishing and so far caught 1 and lost 2 yesterday but I always kept my drag tight as possible so I can watch my line and rod tip. I always thought loose line id miss the bites or carp would detect my hook and line before I even know it?? I been just using a 6 foot and also a 6' 6" rods with 8 pound mono cause that's the max those reels hold. Just use basic split shots and a worm. And thanks for the reply beans

Like most carp fishermen we like to sit around and tell lies to each other rather than stare at a rod tip for hours...With the reel on "free spool" the alarm goes off when the carp makes that first long run giving time to put the reel on regular drag before lifting the rod (no need to "set" the hook as most times the carp hooks itself (it took me five trys to not pick up the rod before shuttin off the "free spool")

My friends stopped me on the fifth try and reminded me to do it right...

This was the result ...

Carp'n P'boro 11Aug2007 003.jpg

After casting out I reel up any slack line then set the "free spool"...I use maize or boilies on a hair rig together with a spring feeder full of ground bait...I use 17 lb. mono as my main line and tie my hair rigs with 12 lb. fluorocarbon...

I've come a long way since using a hand line with a bell sinker on the end and a couple of cornmeal balls on drop lines above the sinker ...LOL

Edited by Beans