Towing capacity

huey graphite

I currently have a 14' boat and tow it with a Dodge Grand Caravan which has a tow rating of 3600lbs. I would like to upgrade to a larger boat and motor. Based on the vehicle rating of 3600 pounds, what is the max. weight for a boat/trailer.

Edited by huey graphite

If you are towing on a regular basis, I wouldn't want to go over 2,000 pounds for the boat, motor, trailer, and gear; keeping down to 1,500 would be better. The driver, passengers, and gear in the vehicle count towards the 3,600 limit too. In many cases, even options on the vehicle count towards the capacity.

The capacity is calculated by figuring out the maximum weight of the vehicle with passengers, cargo and tow load, then subtracting the weight of the just the vehicle. The difference is what you can add to the vehicle.

If the vehicle itself if heavier than the one they used to determine the calculation, then you have already lost some of the capacity. Manufactures usually use the lightest confifuration of their vehicle to increase capacity. It may be based on a vehicle with no spare or radio; GM actually used extra light wheels to bump their capacity.

bigger is better ignore the numbers if you need to do evasive action you will be in less control of the trailer than a bigger vehicle. I run a 10,000 lb tow capacity and have had 8,000 behind it and had an idiot cut me off I survived but with a lesser vehicle I would have wrecked. I know that gas is an expense but it is your and anyone else in the vehicles life you are skimping on.

Art

With that mini van you will be towing a 14 foot tinny with a 9.9 and stuff and not much more safely, I don't care what the stats are, I base that on real life experience. When I bought my 19 footer plus the 115 and the 15 HP kicker plus all the gear for a trip my new truck cost me twice what the boat cost me. You do not stop on a toownie pulling 2900 lbs of boat, motors, trailer and stuff with a 1/2 ton truck. I don't know where they come up with 3600lbs for a mini van?

It's not the towing, it's the braking.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

You will be ok IMO.

My 16fter is just over 1000lbs fully loaded with 2 batteries and a full tank of gas. Mine is a deep and wide but, fairly light for its size.

A 16ft console with a 90ish hp will put you around 2000lbs....the van will be working but doable.

Common sense on the roads goes a long ways too.

S.

It will tow a 15 or 16 footer, but I think you will be on the bubble. My cousin tows the same size boat with his Caravan, I've driven it while towing the boat but I know there is a load behind it. Just take that extra caution especially when merging onto the highway and breaking. I cringe when we go up hills on the highway as that overdrive kicking in and out can't be good for the tranny.

Check your owners manual for clarification.

Anything over 1500 lbs you'll want trailer brakes caravan with 283hp will pull it.

A boat motor trailer at 3600 lbs is a hellava boat.

What do u want see lots of 18 ft ers towed by minivan

X2

You'll be fine if the trailer has brakes.

There are kits out there for around $500.00 that will give you everything you need to install hydraulic disk brakes.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Titan/T4843100.html

The nice part about surge brakes is that the trailer contains all of the brake components; there is no in vehicle controller. Hook any vehicle to the trailer and you have your brakes.

Plus disk brakes have better stopping power then drum and disk brakes don't care if they get wet; as long as you allow the rotors to cool. I really do not understand why it's not mandatory for all trailers rated 1000 lbs up to have some form of braking system.

Dan.

Thanx guys. Lottsa good info here. John Bacon's post is a real eye opener - how they calculate the towing capacity. Very interesting they could calculate the towing capacity using light tires, no radio! WOW!

Towing capacity is actually whatever the company tells their engineers to calculate. There are no regulations for it except that if its posted on the vehicle you have to abide by it