This Vegan Liberal MP Has Pissed Off Canada’s Outdoorsmen with a New Animal Rights Bill

GBW

anyone else read this?!??!?!

Originally Published by Vice Canada, April 14, 2016

By Remi L. Roy

In late February, rookie Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith stood in the House of Commons to deliver a chapped and disjointed announcement. Clothed in a maroon tie draped over an oversized Tory blue shirt, Erskine-Smith—a pet-less, 31-year-old vegan from Toronto—introduced the Modernizing Animals Protection Act. Bill C-246, he said, would bring Canada’s animal welfare laws into the 21st Century. It sounded about right.

Only, opponents argue the bill’s three “specific and achievable” goals range from the sensible to the ridiculous, with little logical middle ground. C-246 looks to ban the sale of cat and dog fur in Canada and aims to end the cruel and unusual practice of shark finning. It also hopes to strengthen criminal laws related to animal sexual abuse and introduce a gross negligence penalty for animal cruelty.

The Modernizing Animals Protection Act could mean fines as high as $10,000 or 18 months in prison for storing a catch in a livewell or baiting a hook with a minnow, nightcrawler, or leech. Short of fanning the age-old flames of Canada’s ugly rural-urban divide, Erskine-Smith, MP for the bougie Toronto inner-suburb riding of Beaches-East York, has placed himself in the crosshairs of every outdoorsman from Prince Rupert to St. John’s.

One of them, Robert Sopuck, Conservative critic for wildlife conservation and Parks Canada, says the passing of this act would move animals out of the property section of the law and into the area dealing with morals and offenses. A 40-year fisheries biologist who called me from a log home set on 480-acres south of Manitoba’s Riding Mountain National Park, Sopuck believes Erskine-Smith is hiding his true agenda—the elimination of all animal use in the country.

“He wants to move animals to the section of the Criminal Code dealing with offenses against persons, which gives rise to the idea that animals are no longer a special type of property, but are beings entitled to rights similar to persons,” Sopuck told VICE.

Last month, a press release by the Canadian Sportfishing Industry Association crashed the (fairly wimpy) servers at keepcanadafishing.com, an industry organization that bills itself as the national voice of the country’s anglers. The post’s intentionally hyperbolic heading—”Go Fishing, Go To Jail“—ran alongside the photo of a young girl reeling in her line under the dutiful eye of a loving mother. The release drew over 100,000 unique views in a week.

To read the rest of this article visit Vice Canada.

http://www.keepcanadafishing.com/this-vegan-liberal-mp-has-pissed-off-canadas-outdoorsmen-with-a-new-animal-rights-bill/

Rick, it's one nail at a time. They ask for the whole box knowing that they will only get a handfull. Next time around they get another handfull. Before you know it they have the whole box.

Im well aware bud.

The day the government tells me I cant hunt or fish is the day I become a poacher I guess

X2 lottsa luck kiddoes

My Canada died about 20 years ago , just puttin in time till I'm gone too, should have been born 20 years earlier.

edit : the 80's were the last decade worth living

Edited by dave524

I disliked the 80's if for just the instrument less techno music and mullets. Oh and that was the decade I lived with my former spouse.

Some portions of that bill is worth looking at, some portions are just ridiculous and will never pass. The bill can be read on line if you have an hour to muddle through it. I think it was here I read it. There is nothing wrong with banning shark fin harvesting. I'm not into clubbing seals either. Being brought up on charges for 1st degree murder of a knat or worm is just not worth worrying about. I wouldn't get my political opinions from any journalism group like Canada Vice. Paranoia will destroy ya. I wouldn't loose any sleep over this bill. It's not 1 nail at a time, more like making the coffin from a pile of sawdust, we will be fine. Go fishing and mass murder a few dozen worms and minnows, I'll bail you out.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

This isn't the first time these liberal animal activists have tried this. It's failed in the past as it should, but how many kicks at the can do they get? Those people are really out of touch with reality. It just boggles the mind.

Cheers

You guys are paranoid.

Nope, I'm not see quote below too

This isn't the first time these liberal animal activists have tried this. It's failed in the past as it should, but how many kicks at the can do they get? Those people are really out of touch with reality. It just boggles the mind.

Cheers

Oh so true, hence the share...

hate to say this, and this statement is pretty generalized...but true

to this day I have yet to see a person under the age of 40 abuse the fishing regulations, pollute or do anything else illegal while fishing...I have however witnessed on multiple occasions old guys taking slot fish, perform absolutely horrendous catch and release tactics and openly polluting the lake.

It might have something to do with the times that we were raised, but i will outright say that the generation that has grown up with the idea of global warming, conservation etc has a way way way better understanding in general of protecting our environment and wildlife then the boomer generation who grew up in a time where nature took care of itself.

The exception to this are those that have truly grown in the wilderness.

Perfect example of this is my brothers older buddy who said he caught a 7lb bass and wanted to club the thing so that he could keep it, but it was out of season so he put it back.

I dont know one person my age who would say that...

Just my 2 cents hate all you want

Edited by AKRISONER

Why dont these politicians with special interests not lay out their plans and personal interests to the voters before they get elected. We all know the awnswer to that dont we. This guy can go and chew on a sugar cane

Can't really agree with part of that Akrisoner. Go to most any back lake where the younger crowd goes to party and you'll see the piles of garbage left behind. I find that they don't tend to have as much respect for the land and waters as us older folk do.

Cheers

Can't really agree with part of that Akrisoner. Go to most any back lake where the younger crowd goes to party and you'll see the piles of garbage left behind. I find that they don't tend to have as much respect for the land and waters as us older folk do.

Cheers

Hi Smitty,

I dont think i was entirely clear, i am referring to those that are using the area for activities such as fishing and hunting.

Citiots that go and party up at the campgrounds up north are exactly that...idiots, forget them you cant cure stupid.

I am talking about anglers and hunters...i see some really bush league stuff going on from a lot of old timers that are still stuck in the "old way" of thinking. Grabbing pike by the eyes all of that type of garbage.

That goes both way ak.

I see alot more good than bad these days though.

My gramps and dad taught me good early on and im thankfull for that.

We did have this amazing beach in porters inlet wrecked by the party crowd though. Its just full of broken glass now smh.

Or anothe one was this idiot teen and his friends decided to party on steep rock. They lit a fire not knowing, or maybe not caring the whole island was rock covered moss. Burned down the whole island ffs.

And some how managed to dodge the bill for the water bombers???? Figure that out

anyone else read this?!??!?!

Originally Published by Vice Canada, April 14, 2016

By Remi L. Roy

.... C-246 looks to ban the sale of cat and dog fur in Canada and aims to end the cruel and unusual practice of shark finning. It also hopes to strengthen criminal laws related to animal sexual abuse and introduce a gross negligence penalty for animal cruelty.

The Modernizing Animals Protection Act could mean fines as high as $10,000 or 18 months in prison for storing a catch in a livewell or baiting a hook with a minnow, nightcrawler, or leech...

One of them, Robert Sopuck, Conservative critic for wildlife conservation and Parks Canada, says the passing of this act would move animals out of the property section of the law and into the area dealing with morals and offenses. A 40-year fisheries biologist who called me from a log home set on 480-acres south of Manitoba’s Riding Mountain National Park, Sopuck believes Erskine-Smith is hiding his true agenda—the elimination of all animal use in the country.

“He wants to move animals to the section of the Criminal Code dealing with offenses against persons, which gives rise to the idea that animals are no longer a special type of property, but are beings entitled to rights similar to persons,” Sopuck told VICE.

Last month, a press release by the Canadian Sportfishing Industry Association....

Canadian Sportfishing Industry Association....Doesn't really exist, just a room and address in Peterborough to collect mails. Run by a an American Shimano representative who lives in Arizona.

This is post about being arrested for baiting hook with worm.

As if it's a joke.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81689&hl=%2Bfishing%2C+%2Bjail

hate to say this, and this statement is pretty generalized...but true

to this day I have yet to see a person under the age of 40 abuse the fishing regulations, pollute or do anything else illegal while fishing...I have however witnessed on multiple occasions old guys taking slot fish, perform absolutely horrendous catch and release tactics and openly polluting the lake.

It might have something to do with the times that we were raised, but i will outright say that the generation that has grown up with the idea of global warming, conservation etc has a way way way better understanding in general of protecting our environment and wildlife then the boomer generation who grew up in a time where nature took care of itself.

The exception to this are those that have truly grown in the wilderness.

Perfect example of this is my brothers older buddy who said he caught a 7lb bass and wanted to club the thing so that he could keep it, but it was out of season so he put it back.

I dont know one person my age who would say that...

Just my 2 cents hate all you want

I agree to a point. The younger generation is certainly more educated on the environment/conservation, and how to help it, but there are less outdoorsmen/women now. Most of these younger generation are tree hugging vegans who are totally brainwashed into thinking this bill is just what we need. That is what scares me. The more people we have with the mindset that fits this bill, the scarier it gets, and there is more and more of them all the time.

BTW...I'm not old!!

S.

Time to take some of these bleeding hearts (Erskine-Smith) out behind the wood shed for a talk. Personally I'd like to take Nathaniel Erskine-Smith out about 50 miles deep in the bush north of Hwy 17 in the middle of summer and wait until he finds his way home. All he needs is vegetation and there's a lot in the bush. That ought make him happy. Then I wanna have a little chat with him.

I agree with Big Cliff. These wackos will get a little bit each time they present this crap and eventually they'll get what they want. I remember the spring bear hunt nonsense. This is just more of the same.

Leave my fishing and hunting alone. I'm cleaning out a spot behind the woodshed.

muddler

Hi Smitty,

I dont think i was entirely clear, i am referring to those that are using the area for activities such as fishing and hunting.

Citiots that go and party up at the campgrounds up north are exactly that...idiots, forget them you cant cure stupid.

I am talking about anglers and hunters...i see some really bush league stuff going on from a lot of old timers that are still stuck in the "old way" of thinking. Grabbing pike by the eyes all of that type of garbage.

Gotcha. Cool man. I was just referring to the littering part of it. I don't think that will ever change. Some people just don't get it, or don't care. Young or old it will always be.

Of course we can only relate to what we individually see. Quick story from today to illustrate. I was at the Kilmarnock lock canal for Crappie yesterday from 5 till 8. When I left there was no one on my side and the guys on the other side were talking about leaving. It was clean along the canal after a day of folks fishing. So I'm back there today at 3:30. I thought it would be busy like the day before, but there was just two older lads there, and no one else showed up at all. Anyways, right away I notice 3 large timmy's on the grass beside the concrete. Hmmm, that wasn't there last night. So fishing is totally dead. I'm talking to the one guy and he tells me 3 young lads limited out that morning from 7 till 8. He had the pics to prove it, as the local lads had taken a shine to the old boy and sent him pics of the catch. You could see right where they were fishing, and it was marked by the 3 empty timmies left behind... I mean, how fkn hard is it to smash a a takeout coffee cup flat and take it with you for the 200 ft walk?

All I'm saying is that it ain't all that age specific sometimes. Some folks are just wired differently.

With apologies to the OP for wandering even further...

Cheers