Algonquin Park Backcountry Permits Cancelled For Opener

4x4bassin

If I worked there I wouldn't want to have to deal with all those unhappy campers that came from the city thinking that the lakes were open and ready to go. I'm sure there will still be some showing up without the knowledge anyways. Making an announcement covers their behinds.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

"Some beaver ponds and the shallowest lakes at lower elevations in Algonquin Park have developed some open water. However, nearly all lakes in Algonquin Park will remain ice covered for the opening of trout fishing season on April 23, 2016. Bare ground is widespread in deciduous forests and on south-facing slopes, but knee-deep snow persists in many shaded areas. Many facilities in Algonquin Park will remain closed for this weekend including some campgrounds, backcountry access points, snow covered and/or muddy roads, plus several inaccessible trails. Secondary gravel roads providing access to the Park's backcountry are currently closed to public travel with many gated or barricaded to prevent infrastructure damage"

I have plans to go in on April 28th to North Tea. I called the Whitny office today they said that a chopper was going up either on the 26th or 29th. I asked him what he thought and he said the park would likely NOT be opening for the 28th of April.

I have plans to go in on April 28th to North Tea. I called the Whitny office today they said that a chopper was going up either on the 26th or 29th. I asked him what he thought and he said the park would likely NOT be opening for the 28th of April.

100% not happening.

Thanks for keeping this thread going guys , I have been away for the last week !

Anyways , just talked to someone in the park and they advised me that no permits

will be issued for this weekend but were hopeful for early next week . It's not just the

lake ice that is the problem , the access roads are still snow covered (not maintained)

and the portages are extremely icy and dangerous . An official release will be coming

out this afternoon/evening .

Thanks for keeping this thread going guys , I have been away for the last week !

Anyways , just talked to someone in the park and they advised me that no permits

will be issued for this weekend but were hopeful for early next week . It's not just the

lake ice that is the problem , the access roads are still snow covered (not maintained)

and the portages are extremely icy and dangerous . An official release will be coming

out this afternoon/evening .

May 6th is new opener date.

Post this on the OFAH website and you'll have all sorts of people swearing that it's true!! :lol::D

You've got that right.. some of them are nutty when it comes to politics... tends to ruin some good conversations..

Hey guys, just got off the phone with Ontario parks and I was told as of the last email they received from the park it will be opening this weekend. She suggested to call the park directly to verify this but they haven't heard anything of a May 6 opening. Have fingers crossed she's correct, we go in May 4.

Ok so just spoke with the lady from algonquins help desk. Told her we have reservations for May 4 and she told me that we should be good to go. Said that the park hopes to open may 4. From what I gathered from the talk it's different depending on what access point you start from. East side is at a lower elevation, therefore, a bit ahead of the west side which is "still stuck in winter".

I drove Hwy 17 Friday morning all lakes were ice free. There was a bit of snow on the north face of hillsides.,

All the roads as far as I could see were pretty much snow free...a couple trails seemed to have a little bit.

Looked like there could be a few spots further in that you may have to trudge through a bit of snow.

It wasn't perfect but from what I could see, nothing that would stop you.

For sure things will be open the coming weekend.

Nippising was ice covered Friday morning when I went by and almost completely open when I passed again Sunday...some spots had a bit of black ice left but I would be out there if there was anything to fish for.

Backcountry permits are now being issued for Algonquin except for the Brent access point which

they hope will open on Friday . Have at her everyone and good luck on your fishing adventures !