Algonquin Park Backcountry Permits Cancelled For Opener

4x4bassin

For those that are interested , Ontario parks have closed the Algonquin backcountry until April 28 due to winter conditions ,

ice covered lakes and inaccessible snow covered roads . This date is subject to change but personally I think they won't

be offering backcountry permits until the weekend of the 30th or into the first week of May . Seen some pictures from that

area and it still looks like winter up there with at least 10 - 15 cm of snow on the ground and the lakes are still locked up to

shore with ice .

We were on a lake about 25 kms North of kiosk yesterday, and there was 21" of ice and 3.5+ feet of snow in the bush.

Really , didn't think there was that much . Going to be into May until those lakes are open then !!!

^ I would assume they would cancel due to the winter conditions and you would not be getting around to well in a canoe .

Dangerous situation I would imagine with the ice , might be some liability issue . Remember this is for back country permits .

Just when we thought we'd get early ice out everywhere.. up North stayed -10C every night for the past month and Temagami got 2 feet of fresh powder late last week. Still sledding on the lakes and Cochrane is still grooming their sled trails!

Really , didn't think there was that much . Going to be into May until those lakes are open then !!!

I doubt it, by Monday everything will be knocked down pretty good. Saturday will be my last day of sledding and ice fishing. Last two winters were early May ice-outs, but the ice was much better setup and there was even more snow. I'm sure everything will be finished and wide open by May 1st, likely sooner.

do you know how big algonquin is?

Kinda like LSPP and I don't think that closes, or you need a permit. You just let them know you are going and pay up, and we didn't even have to do that not too many years ago.

If you can't get in wouldn't people just not go?

I really know nothing of Algonquin rules

Kinda like LSPP and I don't think that closes, or you need a permit. You just let them know you are going and pay up, and we didn't even have to do that not too many years ago.

If you can't get in wouldn't people just not go?

I really know nothing of Algonquin rules

Assuming that LSPP stands for Lake Superior Provincial Park, Algonquin is approximately five times the size.

Assuming that LSPP stands for Lake Superior Provincial Park, Algonquin is approximately five times the size.

That may be true but Algonquin is totally surrounded by roads and civilization. If you count shear wilderness area around LSSP its about 20 times the size and other than the park proper, you don't have to register to go anywhere there.

I just kinda shake my head at them stopping people from entering just because they are worried you might hurt yourself there but there are no restrictions on anything any where else

^ I really know nothing about LSSP Dara but I have been to Algonquin a few times and I can tell you there isn't much for civilization or roads in the area or in the park proper ( few logging roads)

Not sure of the fishing regs. in LSSP either but the trout opener in central Ontario brings hundreds of backpackers to Algonquin every year and this does include a lot of people that really don't

have the experience to be in the backcountry let alone floating between ice flows in a canoe . It would be irresponsible and foolish by Ontario parks to open up Algonquin when it's lakes are

covered in unsafe ice and the portages would be like muddy skating rinks . The parks staff/OPP would be pushed to the max trying to save hypothermic backpackers and people trapped on portages

with broken ankles/legs . You might shake your head at this policy but it is a fact , it would happen . I do agree with you that common sense would help in this situation but when you get a

wilderness park like Algonquin relatively close to Toronto you will get people that have no idea heading into the park for the allure of a trout .

Edited by 4x4bassin

Sheesh guys! One main reason for the closure was made clear in the OP's post.

"inaccessible snow covered roads ."

Many of the access points for canoeing are a considerable dist down dirt rds that get no winter maint. Nothing to do with babysitting, proximity to the GTA or other imaginary reasons! Look on Google maps and the sat pix and you will understand the situation a bit better.

Edited by SirCranksaLot

^ I really know nothing about LSSP Dara but I have been to Algonquin a few times and I can tell you there isn't much for civilization or roads in the area or in the park proper ( few logging roads)

Not sure of the fishing regs. in LSSP either but the trout opener in central Ontario brings hundreds of backpackers to Algonquin every year and this does include a lot of people that really don't

have the experience to be in the backcountry let alone floating between ice flows in a canoe . It would be irresponsible and foolish by Ontario parks to open up Algonquin when it's lakes are

covered in unsafe ice and the portages would be like muddy skating rinks . The parks staff/OPP would be pushed to the max trying to save hypothermic backpackers and people trapped on portages

with broken ankles/legs . You might shake your head at this policy but it is a fact , it would happen . I do agree with you that common sense would help in this situation but when you get a

wilderness park like Algonquin relatively close to Toronto you will get people that have no idea heading into the park for the allure of a trout .

I worked in the Park for over 4 summers and I have a camp in the Park. You're dead on! I see people canoeing parallel to the waves and switching sides even in the middle of July. Cold water and inexperienced paddlers = disasters!

OK, I get it a bit more now that I understand that its trout opener...around here other than the odd lake thats closed all winter our trout opener is Jan 1.

I guess the place would be flooded with people wanting to get out finally.

May long weekend is the big thing for us

Wowza, I didn't realize there is still snow in Central Ont, and still cold. It was up to 78F on the deck since Friday. Someone said they saw 80F.

As far as an adult being responsible for themselves, this is Ontario for Heavens sake. Our Government is responsible for our safety because we are too stupid to take care of ourselves.

As far as an adult being responsible for themselves, this is Ontario for Heavens sake. Our Government is responsible for our safety because we are too stupid to take care of ourselves.

The Algon decision has nothing to do with that. 2 reasons: (1) access rds are snow covered and (2) lakes are ice covered. Hard to get to the lakes and, if you did, kinda hard on the paddles. :)

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

This is the only site you need to know what you need to know about ice out in the park. It's updated frequently.

I'v been doing backcountry trips way back in the park for many years and have been on lakes 2 days after ice out. When it happens, it happens quickly. Unfortunate thing now is it is still below zero at night. My guess is it will be very close getting ice out by the 28th.

I sure hope so because my group has a trip out of Brent up the Petawawa booked on the 28th. Would really suck to have to reschedule.

Not much you can do but keep checking the site for updates.