Counter Top

Meely

Hello Gang,

I have an old 1973 coytage bathroom counter top that needs a facelift. I dont want to get into any heavy or big renos but just a light re-do. Does anyone have any experience on painting or re-surfacing a bathroom counter top? What product should I use etc. Looking for materials that I can pick up at any local home reno joint.

Thanks for any help.

Meely

We re did our kitchen counter tops last year using a Beautytone kit. It wasn't hard to do at all but it was a little time consuming because of the waiting time between each step. We got the kit on special at Home Hardware and I think it was about $100.00.

http://www.techstone.ca/ct_refinish_kit.html

It turned out really well, you would be more than welcome to stop by and have a look if you like.

If it's a small bathroom vanity it would be rather inexpensive to buy a new countertop. Remove your taps, unscrew the old vanity top from inside the cabinet. Pretty simple job if you are handy with some basic carpentry tools.

X2...if it was the whole kitchen and had backslapsh tiles butting down to the counter maybe a recoat would be cheaper/easier but a small vanity top is an easy DIY.

As much as I agree with the ease of replacing a small bathroom vanity counter top....I have to say It is a cottage (1973). When you get into a small reno on a structure like this, it always turns into WAY MORE than what was expected...

A counter top turns into new water supplies, sink, drain and taps, in the blink of an eye or the slip of a wrench.

Trust me..... :whistling:

Cliffs solution is what the OP is asking for.

As much as I agree with the ease of replacing a small bathroom vanity counter top....I have to say It is a cottage (1973). When you get into a small reno on a structure like this, it always turns into WAY MORE than what was expected...

A counter top turns into new water supplies, sink, drain and taps, in the blink of an eye or the slip of a wrench.

Trust me..... :whistling:

Cliffs solution is what the OP is asking for.

Been there, done that! That's why we opted for the refinishing and to be honest with you it turned out so well that a couple of friends have also done theirs with it.

Hey Tom, I've been there! Water supplies, drain, trap, the whole nine yards! Not being a smart ass, if 1973 original, probably a bathroom reno is the way to go. All depends on budget. If bath renovation is going to cut into fishing gear budget - I'd wash my hands in a 5 gallon pail! LOL!

Hey Tom, I've been there! Water supplies, drain, trap, the whole nine yards! Not being a smart ass, if 1973 original, probably a bathroom reno is the way to go. All depends on budget. If bath renovation is going to cut into fishing gear budget - I'd wash my hands in a 5 gallon pail! LOL!

No offence taken....I agree. A whole reno is probably needed, but a simple facelift may be all that's in the budget.

$100.00 can of facelift and some DIY muscle can save a lot of reno money for toys..... :Gonefishing: or until a proper reno can be budgeted for and done at some time in the future.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

When I replaced my laminate counter top from my kitchen a few years back with a different material, I posted an ad on kijiji for the free laminate counter top just so I didn't have to dispose of it. The counter top was in great shape..may want to search kijiji or craigslist for similar free counter tops.

Cut a piece to fit and then just swap out the sink/plumbing.

In fact, I see there a few ads on Kijiji right now offering free counter tops.

Edited by fisher