Pompano Beach, Florida Fishing

fisher

Heading down to Pompano Beach near the end of the month and was hoping for some ideas on where to go fishing around the area. Never been there before.

Can't go out on the ocean because my wife gets sea sick (and frankly, so do I), so plan on hitting piers or other areas from land.

Any suggestions on where to go and what to use/target at this time of the year?

be interested in knowing as well-Pompano Beach

haven't been there in maybe 3 years or so..out-of-the-loop clearly-good spot for a family holiday was my take away experience

Hear yah--can't take the bride on the salt water-- understood-you too--sea sickness-Ocean Trips can be pricey too Fisher

Going to War with Fish isn't every ones idea of a holiday in Florida

Research the Piers maybe--relax -just buy the local bait-toss a line-rent a rod and reel----crack a beverage of your choice-and hope for the best--multi species territory

Have Fun- Play Safe and...........

Kindly report back

ID1

Edited by icedude

I get seasick very easily too but I have found that when I am down south I just take a gravol pill an hour before I go out on the ocean and bingo no sea sickness all day.

its worth a shot. ocean fishing is awesome. we used to go down to florida a lot and I know live shrimp are a great way to catch anything down there.

I also caught redfish (big ones 18 pounders) on rat l trap type crank baits.

good luck and have fun

I have some experience surf fishing on the Gulf side. Not sure about the Atlantic. I have had success catching sand fleas and using them to catch pompano off the beach. YouTube catching sand fleas and you will see how to catch them if they are there - its easy. It works really well if the water is clear and calm. I have also fished off the pier using shrimp and have caught Pompano and Sheepshead, again the best success coming when the water is clear and calm. Pompano are good eating and easy to clean. I have heard that Sheepshead and Flounder are also good eating.

Good luck!

google saltwater fishing piers broward county to get a few shore spots. These are pretty much high traffic public spots and they do get fish and wildlife guys dropping by checking for licenses

I never did get to fish down in that area as we changed and went to Cocoa beach instead. The inner canals back off the beach hold some exotics like peacock bass and snakeheads

You're only a 50-60 minute drive to Lake Okeechobee to, Guides are available out of Pahokee and Bell Glade

thanks for the feedback...for others looking for info I did some searching on the net after the replies and found Pompano Beach has it's own pier and you don't need a fishing license if fishing on it. Even for a non-resident. The pier also sells bait and access to the pier is free. There are other piers up and down the coast with similar fishing license free zones, but you have to pay to get on them...Pompano is the only free pier I found on that stretch of area.

As for the fish, it's apparently hit and miss. Mackerel, snook and even sharks can be had off the pier. Found some great youtube videos - just search Fort Lauderdale fishing piers.

I'll let you know how it goes.