Float your fanny down the Ganny this weekend

esoxansteel

35 years of altering, impeding and molesting the annual spring spawning run of Ganaraska River Steelhead, and 35 years of the MNRF for allowing it to happen, and doing nothing about it, while hundreds of man made water craft, tear up gravel beds, and push spawning Steelhead off their beds, and people tramping through the spawning beds as their crafts become stuck on the gravel and shale. Again this assault on the river by hundreds of people who dont give a rats ass about the river or its fish, and will leave their garbage and broken water craft scattered all over the riverbanks, and also the people who come to watch will do the same, and with the warmer temps predicted, fish will be up on spawning beds in large numbers.

only way to stop is email the mayor

[email protected]

Jason the MNRF should have the authority to stop this if they really wanted to, but they would actually have to leave the comforts of their office in Peterborough to do so, as this would be a provincial issue, and would trump what the town figures they receive in return, there have been many floods in Port Hope not just the one in 1980, there are pics in the fire hall hall showing floods dating back to the early 1900s, We had a big flood in 2004 and again a much bigger one in 2006 and you dont see me and my arse floating down the Otonabee LOL

I have never fished the Ganny so pls excuce my ignorance. Are there any spawning area downstream from Sylvan Glen?

where the crazy craft start aka homemade contraptions that people hope will float and hold together, at sylven glen, and work their way through the farmlands then the sugar bush down to the dam, the kayaks and canoes start further up. and yes 100% they are going over prime spawning areas

Jason the MNRF should have the authority to stop this if they really wanted to, but they would actually have to leave the comforts of their office in Peterborough to do so, as this would be a provincial issue, and would trump what the town figures they receive in return, there have been many floods in Port Hope not just the one in 1980, there are pics in the fire hall hall showing floods dating back to the early 1900s, We had a big flood in 2004 and again a much bigger one in 2006 and you dont see me and my arse floating down the Otonabee LOL

i am working on it liverelease . getting data all arranged to put a stop to having it in april i have a graph that says most fish travel up stream in the first 3 weeks of april shoot me a email and i will forward it to ya.. [email protected]

I'm trying to reconcile what is being said here with my experience when we ran it in a canoe a few years back. I'm not saying the race is a good idea but here was our experience:

We scraped the bottom a few times with the hull and dinged it a few times with our paddles but, like most canoeists, we try to avoid doing either as it (a) damages our eqpt and (B) slows us down. We didn't see any canoes or kayaks overturned except below the dam. We portaged around the dam as did everyone else that we saw.

The was the expected mayhem with the 'crazy craft' below the dam, but on the upstream section it seemed like quite an orderly canoe and kayak race. Maybe the water was particularly high that year. I simply don't know.

I'm trying to reconcile what is being said here with my experience when we ran it in a canoe a few years back. I'm not saying the race is a good idea but here was our experience:

We scraped the bottom a few times with the hull and dinged it a few times with our paddles but, like most canoeists, we try to avoid doing either as it (a) damages our eqpt and ( B) slows us down. We didn't see any canoes or kayaks overturned except below the dam. We portaged around the dam as did everyone else that we saw.

The was the expected mayhem with the 'crazy craft' below the dam, but on the upstream section it seemed like quite an orderly canoe and kayak race. Maybe the water was particularly high that year. I simply don't know.

Last year. one of the Crazy crafts had to redo the bottom of there craft with more orange plastic fence as it was completely gone from rubbing the bottom .. i have no issues with canoes or kayaks .. it when you get 10 to 20 people on a craft and they drag the crap out of the bottom

Guys, there are still a ton of fish that spawn from Canton south through Sylvan Glen and even below that, now because the temps below the dam in town get too hot throughout the summer most if not all those fry will parish, so that is a mute point. I do however hope the Liberals are able to change fisheries act because i will be making some inquiries with the DFO and MNR, because if you read the act, it states that it "prohibits the harmful alteration, disruption, and destruction of habitat". Now, i'm no genus but all that happens when all those rafts blow through the shallows dredging up the bottom, especially on low water years.

Rich.

All good points yes, and while crazy craft scraping the bottom of finished redds is likely the biggest impact, also the canoes and yaks that dont scrape bottom, but still push fish off redds by spooking them, and we like to think they would return.

If it cant be stopped, it should be moved as Chessy said to a time thats not disruptive to the spawning steelhead run, moved it to September, and let them muck with the Chinook run instead

I imagine they do this in the spring because of the volume of water. So changing it to summer or fall wouldn't get them down the river. I think this event should be cancelled all together. Between this event and the gong show in the fall below the dam the river looks and is treated like an amusement park. Not a natural resource.