NF - Some off season "hunting"!

NAW

So as some of you know. My hunting partner has been training a NAVHDA hunting dog. It's been a boring winter for the dog.

We booked a private game farm yesterday morning, and hunted chukar partridge.

The owner of the farm set 20 birds out for us across over a 100 acre farm.

Then myself, the dog, and three other good friends set out to see how many birds the dog could find.

We flushed 17 of the 20. Shot 13 of the 17 we flushed

It was a great morning with some really good guys! Lots of laughs and cheering after some spectacular shots.

The dog is 13 months. But pointed like a champ! And retrieved every single bird to hand!!

Special thanks to ROB!! Those grouse wings you gave me where used heavily during the dogs winter training!!

Here's some pics of the day!

We are going to make it an annual event

We all had the time of our lives!!

The dog is bird crazy... He sat like this for the entire 2 hour drive!

DSC_2190_zpslsjqeehz.jpg

DSC_2194_zpsdynxxlhq.jpg

DSC_2196_zpsvbnb5bpy.jpg

DSC_2197_zpswzaorwcw.jpg

DSC_2201_zpsbhmhlz6n.jpg

DSC_2211_zpsek4txewz.jpg

DSC_2213_zps77vahcs4.jpg

Edited by N.A.W

A cream base of your preference, with wild rice and celery, seasoned to your liking and chunked up partridge meat is an all time fav of mine!

Ill make a big batch and eat it for 2-3 days straight.

Make it nice and thick, mmmmmm

I'm gunna do exactly that. I have both cream of mushroom and cream of celery soup in my cupboard. Do you cook it with the rice? Or do the rice separate then mix together at the end?

I like to sautee onion celery with butter then quick cook the partidge chunks to be more tender. You can cook the partridge right in the cream base but it will be abit tougher.

Yes cook the wild rice seperate and add after.

Cook it low and slow(its still pretty darn fast)

Then I just use salt and pepper to season, and some nice fresh buns to sop up any leftover.

Its really easy/cheap and tastes fantastic!

Thats a great report Nick.

When I did my grouse, I just sliced them up and fried with onions. Then added chicken broth, brought to a boil and added barley. Oh and lots of fresh ground pepper. I wanted to taste the bird, so didnt really add to much to it.

Very cool Nick! Gotta be the most fun you can have training a dog.

I couldn't agree more!! I've been working with dogs for a long time. And this training session topped them all!

Your reports always make me think, wow, what a great day.

Post a pic of the stew when it's done.

I didn't have any bacon... So I sliced up some leg meat and fried it up in seasoning. Let it dry a little bit, and tossed it in!

DSC_2238_zps8rne2kmp.jpg

It was made with what I had kicking around. Some peas and corn. Seasoning. Some canned soup. Brow Rice.

DSC_2241_zpscv3iar6p.jpg

Looks like a fun day in the field. Hunting behind a good dog and watching them work is one of the most rewarding aspects of hunting, IMO.

The dogs trainer was on cloud 9 all morning. Likely one of his most memorable hunts in a long time. And he has been hunting for 40+ years.

Hunting with a good dog is probably my favorite things ever. You get the excitement of the hunt and the shot, then you get to watch the dog go to work. Awesome!

This guy's still a pup, so there was some shenanigans! 2 times we winged a bird, and they dropped about 150 yards out, and the dog basically caught them before they hit the ground and ran them back to us!

HI great pics, just wondering what something like this might cost?

It's $75 per hunter. That gets you either 3 Phesant, or 5 Chuckar Partridge. 3.5 hours of hunting. He charges extra to guide you with one of his dogs. It's actually not that bad.

Your report makes me think I need to fence up my property and start raising some game.

Was the farm, fenced all around?? I guess the escaped birds just end up as wildlife food?

There was no fences.. The partridge we didn't shoot are still out there. The hunter in the afternoon may have blasted them. If not, they may make their way back to the pens, by the sounds of the other couped up birds. But I think most blend in to the ecosystem in some way. He has some pheasants that are running around that like to hang out in the area. They are very gun shy. And I think they are unable to re-produce.. Not sure though..

Good looking dog! Pudelpointer?

Yep. Great dog! Non shedding.

Howd the birds turn out?

My 8 year old step daughter refuses to eat anything I have not bought at a grocery store. But she told me that she thought this was the best meal I have ever cooked her. Ever...

Edited by N.A.W