Pike Fishing Trip - Canal/Mitchell/Balsam

FishFinder17

I typically fish Zone 15 where pike doesn't open until the end of May but I just don't think I can wait that long. I target a lot of pike with my fishing buds and we would like to get a trip in towards the end of April/Early May...

I've been doing some reading and it seems that pike have made their way into Canal/Mitchell/Balsam (Zone 17) where pike is open all year. I know this is a bit of a heated topic for the hardcore muskie fisherman but hoping we can steer clear of that discussion.

Since I've never fished these lakes I'm wondering which of the three might be our best bet? Also, we would like to spend a night so if anyone knows of a good camping spot it would be a huge help. I've checked the crown land atlas but didn't find much...

A lot of questions, I know..but I'm just trying to do my research to avoid wasting the boys' time, and this forum is always my best source of information.

Thanks in advance for the help.

FF17

I could give you a few places to camp 15 minutes north of Coby. I assume you're towing a boat so that would not work for some of the more remote camping spots.

I have fished early season pike in Balsam. It's ok, but it's more of an excuse to get the boat in the water than anything.

I could give you a few places to camp 15 minutes north of Coby. I assume you're towing a boat so that would not work for some of the more remote camping spots.

I have fished early season pike in Balsam. It's ok, but it's more of an excuse to get the boat in the water than anything.

Thanks Chris. Yes I am towing a boat so would need somewhere to launch and either beach/tie up at night.

And you nailed it, its an excuse to get the boat in the water...but would love to boat a few pike in the process.

I'll shoot you a PM if I don't have any better options. Thanks for your help

At this point Mitchell/canel are drawn down. In a few weeks MNR will take the dam out at Balsam end of Michel re flooding system. I seen a tinner hit the bearer one time. It's difficult to see.

If you drive up Hwy 48 and can still see the stumps you can't get to Balsam. Or you can't get from Balsam to Mitchell.

At this point Mitchell/canel are drawn down. In a few weeks MNR will take the dam out at Balsam end of Michel re flooding system. I seen a tinner hit the bearer one time. It's difficult to see.

If you drive up Hwy 48 and can still see the stumps you can't get to Balsam. Or you can't get from Balsam to Mitchell.

Thanks Garnet. Would you suggest not fishing it while it is drawn down? We're thinking last weekend in April - do you know if the dam will be out by then?

Thanks

FF17

We tried Balsam before in spring and had no luck, moved over to Mitchell and couldn't keep the pike out of the boat. It s a short boat ride away if things aren't going well.

Thanks Rizzo..what is Mitchell like depth wise? I read that its very shallow with lots of hazards. Something to consider or no?

Mitchell is a scary place until you get the used to it. Pontoons, jons or small tin boats are basically the norm around Mitchell due to very shallow parts and stumps everywhere. Any of course by mid summer you have to deal with the heavy cabbage. It makes for great bass/pike fishing but you really have to watch your way and pay attention to the markers. Keep prop as high as possible...

The problem right now targeting pike on Balsam is that for every pike you catch you'll probably bring up a OOS bass and wally, no matter what your lure is.

I'd hit Mitchell for pike and go very, very slow with someone at the front spotting.

Thanks guys,

It looks like we are going to go with Balsam. Since it's so early and none of the resorts/campgrounds are open we may be lucky to find a sport at the balsam resort. Would be nice to not have to pull the boat out each night.

Mitchell scares be a bit given I have never been on the lake and the depth has me worried (I also just replaced the prop on my boat and don't want to have to do it again after my first trip of the season!)

Also, a big thanks to Hank Jr. who has been extremely helpful with info on Balsam.

Yes Mitchell is shallow and there are some stumps. Its not a big lake though, we never really ran the "big motor"...just trolling motor and casting around. Tons of pike. I have only fished it in the spring. Imagine it gets quite weed-choked later in season. If I remember correctly, a lot of the lake is 3-5 feet deep. We did find one deeper area that was around 11 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got back from Balsam yesterday and the boys had a great trip. Friday afternoon/evening was beautiful as was Saturday with sunny 16C and calm 10km/h winds out of the NE. Sunday wasn't as pleasant as the winds picked up and dropped some rain on us.

We launched Friday around 5pm and fished the East/Northeast side of the lake. We had a bass and pike follow in our first few casts so we felt good about our chances. Weather was great and water temp was hovering around 50F. We fished until sunset with a few more pike follows but no luck...to be honest it just felt great to be on the water fishing so the boys went back to the resort happy.

We started up Saturday morning and headed to the West bay near the river to the south. Most of this bay was 3-5 FOW and aside from a few turtles we didn't see anything in the water. The whole morning was really slow and the boys were getting a little discouraged so we headed down to the south bay in between two points and dropped the lines in. We started very close to shore in about 3 FOW and let the wind carry us out. When we got into 8-10 FOW I had one of my double 10s get smashed by a huge smallmouth! This thing was easily 6lbs but since bass are still closed we quickly released and moved on. Less than 5 mins later in the same spot I hear my one buddy go "YUP!" and he's got a fish on. We scramble for the net and he pulls in a nice 31" pike (see pic)...exactly what we were looking for! We get that one back in the water and another 5 mins passes before another guy pulls in a 4lb largemouth...unhooked and quickly back in the water he goes...

We took a break for lunch feeling a little more optimistic for the afternoon. After refueling we headed back to the boat and ran into a few locals who suggested we try out the canal running towards Cameron lake. We decided to give it a shot and I pulled in another big bass and a few minutes later a 26" pike who hit my slop master spinner not far from the locks. That was it for Saturday and we called it a day just in time to learn that the leafs had landed the 1st overall pick in the NHL draft! (not a bad day...)

The boys were feeling a little foggy on sunday morning and looking outside to see rain wasn't motivating us so we got back on the water by about 9am. It was windy and pouring rain so we only lasted a few hours and headed back to the resort around noon, packed up the boat and headed back to the city...our next scheduled trip is pike opener in Muskoka on the May long weekend...only a few more weekends and we are back at it!

FullSizeRender.jpg

nice job, fyi a 31 incher is ok to lip but if you catch anything over 10lbs dont lip them like that, it breaks their jaw and kills the fish. You can still use jaw clamps, but you have to support the weight of the fish with your other hand.

Practice your gill plate grabbing and you can avoid all of it all together!

If you kept the pike then whatever! Yum!

Edited by AKRISONER

31 pike is what balsam has to offer. The tiger muskies are legal. Muskoka is a different game a 40 is a little small and they are like rice bass they don't suffer fools.

June on balsam is crazy for walleyes. My guys have booked 4 days in a row. I'm in the money.