Cost of a car repair. NF.

npt1

Hi All,

I own a 2007 chevy cobalt, want to have the fan belt replaced and heater hoses plus Rad hoses.

Car has A/C. 2.2 Liter engine

How much would be a fair price to have this work done at a reputable shop, in your opinion.

I was shocked at the estimate cost I was given...

Belt I can get for between 22 and 33 dollars, depending on w/AC or not.

Lower rad hose to T = $32

Lower rad hose from T to Reservoir = $11

Upper Rad hose = $20

Heater hose small ID, cut to fit $14 Only shows one for vehicle and don't have my step granddaughters Cobalt here to see what else is in there that you'd need.

So hoses $110 + any clamps and antifreeze. That said I question why you think these all need replacing, does it also need a thermostat, etc, etc.

Edited by irishfield

Hi All,

I own a 2007 chevy cobalt, want to have the fan belt replaced and heater hoses plus Rad hoses.

How much would be a fair price to have this work done at a reputable shop, in your opinion.

what was the estimate? Parts cost and Labor costs? that should help determine if you are getting a fair price.

Here's what I found for pricing; Parts are a combination of AC Delco and Dayco. The labours quoted are from Mitchell Estimating guide.

- Serpentine belt 37.14

- Heater to thermostat hose 47.85

- Reservoir to Pipe 1 hose 123.59

- Engine to heater hose 34.65

- Upper rad hose 30.83

- Lower rad hose 32.82

- Hose clamp 1.75 X12

- Dex cool Longlife anti freeze 6.50 X3 (mixed 50/50 with water to make the 6 liter required)

- Labour (Belt 1.2hr) 108.00 (Labour based on $90.00 hr)

- " (Heater hoses 1.1hr) 99.00

- " (Rad hoses 1.3hr) 117.00

- Reduced labour (.8hr) (72.00) (Reduced labour due to related work)

-----------

- Total $599.38 (Plus Tax)

It doesn't take long to add up the numbers and for example sake, I wrote this estimate as if I were a dealership; not the independent that I am.

Dan.

Hi All,

you have just described probably the easiest of vehicle jobs to do give it a go. doctor google, maybe loose a little skin youll save big bucks even if you have to buy a socket set or something, trust me its easy and satisfying to do

We are absolutely being gouged on car parts in Canada. Same parts in the US are vastly cheaper. The Bluetooth unit on my Acura MDX just died. I had already googled and diagnosed what was wrong. Dealer confirmed it, and said part price was $750 Cdn. I already knew it was $205 US on line from Acura dealers and resellers in the US. On principle I ordered from the US. With exchange and shipping it will be just under $400. Why should we pay triple for exactly the same NAFTA no duty part?

Related is the labour cost. They want $80 to replace the cabin air filter behind the glove box. I timed it. I can do it in less than 30 seconds including I boxing the new filter and unlocking the car.

Edited by Canuck

Yes I agree, a not so bad a job, if you're mechanically inclined. Just be very careful removing the heater hoses from the heater core (hoses leading into the firewall). After the clamps are removed or slid back out of the way; I would suggest cutting the hoses off the two spigots; rather then twisting and wrenching them off. The heater core can become damaged very easily; which will cause it to leak coolant.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

We are absolutely being gouged on car parts in Canada. Same parts in the US are vastly cheaper. The Bluetooth unit on my Acura MDX just died. I had already googled and diagnosed what was wrong. Dealer confirmed it, and said part price was $750 Cdn. I already knew it was $205 US on line from Acura dealers and resellers in the US. On principle I ordered from the US. With exchange and shipping it will be just under $400. Why should we pay triple for exactly the same NAFTA no duty part?

Related is the labour cost. They want $80 to replace the cabin air filter behind the glove box. I timed it. I can do it in less than 30 seconds including I boxing the new filter and unlocking the car.

The labour is absolutely the worst. I'm not mechanically inclined and I know that any time I bring the car into the shop if I'm getting any work done I'm already looking at over $300 easy.

The worst was about 5 years ago when I bought my new used car. Less then a week after I bought it, it blew a rad cap so I brought it back to the dealer. I went for lunch (car was taken in) and the car was back out when I returned from lunch (less then 45 minutes later.) I look on the bill and they charged me for 4 hours of labour. I told them 'I know for a fact you only worked on my car for an hour at most.' They responded with '4 hours is the industry standard. Its the least we can charge for this repair. Thankfully I was able to talk to the guy I bought the car from and he got it straightened out, but what an absolute mess.

Belt I can get for between 22 and 33 dollars, depending on w/AC or not.

Lower rad hose to T = $32

Lower rad hose from T to Reservoir = $11

Upper Rad hose = $20

Heater hose small ID, cut to fit $14 Only shows one for vehicle and don't have my step granddaughters Cobalt here to see what else is in there that you'd need.

So hoses $110 + any clamps and antifreeze. That said I question why you think these all need replacing, does it also need a thermostat, etc, etc.

You need to shop at Rockauto.com as these parts are less then half of what you are quoting. Did a lot of business with them and never had a problem.

The good news is you do not have to take it to a shop and pay their prices. However if you do instead of complaining about the price thank them for a job well do that you can't do yourself. I do plumbing for a living and it is expensive running a shop the overhead is high and to keep a good mechanic you have to pay them a enough to keep them. If they complete a job in a faster time than an agreed upon price up front then they have been rewarded for their their talent and efficiency. Years ago I paid a shop to make repairs to my vehicles and afterwards gave the mechanic a tip and took care of them at Christmas. That was 15 years ago and because I was nice and appreciated them they now fix my vehicles as a friends pricing rather than a customers price. Just my thoughts

Art

Canuck, I sent you a message about your MDX. I had the same problem with my 2007 only a few years ago and Acura covered the cost of the unit because this is a known defect. In fact, it shorted out my battery. I just paid for 1 hour labour. Happened to a friend of mine too.

There are also a couple of other known issues that Acura has not outwardly admitted to in this model but will give you a break on (or repair totally), if you complain - they are the Active Damper System and the Navigation System reading error.

My last repair was to all 4 of the Damper systems on my vehicle only a few months ago (keep in mind car is now 8 years old). The repair was quoted to me at $6400 + tax! Car sounded like crap - rattling front end, and seemed like it was going to fall part every time I hit a bump. regardless, I wasn't about to spend that money on a 8 year old car....But after complaining, Acura covered it all for free - labour and parts. Wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me...but they did! However, keep in mind I have had this issue with this car since I bought it new and this was the 4th time they replaced the dampers...twice under warranty and twice outside the warranty - each time at no cost to me. Point is, it may be worth complaining to Acura about your issue.

Edited by fisher

Dealers scare me. I feel like I have dollar signs tattooed on my head when I walk into any one of them. I understand the costs and overhead, but there are just too many horror stories floating around. Those that find someone they trust are lucky.

Canuck, I sent you a message about your MDX. I had the same problem with my 2007 only a few years ago and Acura covered the cost of the unit because this is a known defect. In fact, it shorted out my battery. I just paid for 1 hour labour. Happened to a friend of mine too.

There are also a couple of other known issues that Acura has not outwardly admitted to in this model but will give you a break on (or repair totally), if you complain - they are the Active Damper System and the Navigation System reading error.

My last repair was to all 4 of the Damper systems on my vehicle only a few months ago (keep in mind car is now 8 years old). The repair was quoted to me at $6400 + tax! Car sounded like crap - rattling front end, and seemed like it was going to fall part every time I hit a bump. regardless, I wasn't about to spend that money on a 8 year old car....But after complaining, Acura covered it all for free - labour and parts. Wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me...but they did! However, keep in mind I have had this issue with this car since I bought it new and this was the 4th time they replaced the dampers...twice under warranty and twice outside the warranty - each time at no cost to me. Point is, it may be worth complaining to Acura about your issue.

Thanks for the advice. I guess since I knew the answer ahead of time, I bypassed the "rage" stage (plus my wife took the car in for me). Its done now. Part took about 10 minutes to install, and all is well again (for now). Our MDX has been pretty bullet proof so no complaints (touch wood).

Now the 2007 BMW X5 I had before, well that is another story. Now that POS was the absolute worst car imaginable. It was in for over $10K of repairs while it was under warranty and cost me an average of $4,000 per year after that. Exorbitant parts prices and labour rates. And many many things failed or fell apart. I know some models have a good repair history, but that X5 was BRUTAL. And not once in the time I owned it did Budds ever make any effort to acknowledge the issues and offer to go to BMW for goodwill coverage. When I complained one time about it being the most expensive car I had ever owned, but the worst in terms of repairs, they said "Sir, BMW are highly complex with a lot of technology." I guess the stupidity of that as an answer was lost on them, after the brand brainwashing they get as training. First and last BMW I will ever own.

I had a 3 series BMW before my Silverado and it was rock solid. I had one visit for a recall (new battery), and never had a single repair in 70,000 km. I haven't heard many good things about the x5 but don't write off the whole brand because of one model.