Ranger Boats - NF

I'm looking for a big water boat for Erie. I love the StarCraft. I viewed 1 in Chatham, a 1989 offshore 22' for $10,000., I should have jumped on it, but didn't. If you know of one for sale in very good condition, please PM me. Thanx

I know of an Islander for sale, or did you want an open boat?

What seats did you put in it Art?

The seats are made by tempest they have held up very well and the cushions have remained firm. I mounted them to the box lids to keep the storage area water tight. They have hinges to flip the two full seats and the center seat flips up and down to access the back of the boat easily without stepping on the cushions. The pole seats are the same manufacture and I think the butt seat is from bass pro but I am not sure it also might be a tempest.

Art

91CA5D08-9ECB-40A3-A9CE-06EAF7491F75_zps

83E405E9-8837-45F7-B224-51DD3C708C64_zps

FACF12B4-1C1E-4BAA-AB2B-76C0006B146A_zps

Thanx hirk. I'm leaning towards a closed deck with a small cuddy just to have extra storage space for jackets, rain suits, even a porta potti . PM me the info on the Islander please. There's a 22' Offshore for sale but up in Earlton which is an 8 hour drive for me.

I perceive Starcraft to be below Lund, Princecraft, alumacraft and Crestliner. That's my perception not fact - am I wrong?

Enlighten me.

Starcraft makes a great boat, which is why you see so many older ones still on the water.

All but the smallest Starcraft fishing boats have the aluminum I-beam type of internal frame that give the hull strength. When the economy took a dump some of the other other brands stopped doing this in order to cut costs, while others now only have the I-beams in their top-end boats, not all of them. No wonder you don't see it mentioned in their ads any more.

I like how the wood transom on Starcrafts goes all the way to the floor, and not just across the top where the motor bolts on. On some boats, it's just sheet metal below the engine mount. Cheaper, for sure, but not very strong.

I like that even small things like cleats are through-bolted on Starcrafts, and not just screwed on as is the case for many (if not most) other brands. Through-bolting is much stronger, and won't pull out when stressed.

I like the way Starcraft sprays the foam flotation in between the hull and the deck, so it expands as it cures and completely fills all the cavities. It gives the boat a quieter ride, and it prevents rain water from pooling in there and forming mold. Some other brands just pour the foam in, then screw the deck on top, leaving gaps underneath. That's where deck rot begins.

I also like that Starcraft is still a family-run business, still owned by the same family that started it in 1903. The people that run the company are boaters and fishermen, not accountants and lawyers looking for ways to cut costs.

How's that for a start?

And no, I'm not on the company payroll. But I do like the product. If the right six numbers ever show up on my lottery ticket, that 2050 STX will be in my driveway the same day.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Thanx hirk. I'm leaning towards a closed deck with a small cuddy just to have extra storage space for jackets, rain suits, even a porta potti . PM me the info on the Islander please. There's a 22' Offshore for sale but up in Earlton which is an 8 hour drive for me.

And a BIG storage compartment for your secret baits :D

My lips are sealed buddy.

I owned a 1992 StarCraft up until 2 years ago and it didn't leak one bit up to the day I sold it. Those rivets held tight, even after banging into docks and the like over the years - especially the latter years when I was teaching my son to boat.

That was one of the reasons I replaced it with a new Smokercraft (same family as Starcraft).

I like how the wood transom on Starcrafts goes all the way to the floor, and not just across the top where the motor bolts on. On some boats, it's just sheet metal below the engine mount. Cheaper, for sure, but not very strong.

my 1997 Lund pro fisherman is like that...I've contemplated that concept before, would I really notice a difference in how the boat handles on the water? only a 90hp on there