Whitefish Adventure - Lots of Pics

cl_fishin

I saw alot of interest in Whitefish through the ice over the winter, so I thought I would share some pics/info on how we target them in the openwater. Each fall a group of us travel north to camp and fish a variety of lakes/rivers, for a variety of fish species (Brook Trout, Walleyes, Pike, Salmon), and one of my favorite parts of the trip are when we target Whities. These fish are plentiful , fight hard, and are excellent healthy (high Omega 3 content) table fare if eaten fresh or canned (I find freezing them turns them to mush). As the water cools in the fall these fish will move into the bays to take advantage of shallow water forage, which makes them a lot easier to target then when warmer temps keep them out schooling over vast deepwater flats. We look for them in 15-20 FOW in mucky/sand bottom bays out beyond the deepest weedline edge, where they will be feeding on nymphs, minnows, worms etc. Using our centerpin Steelhead outfits we present tiny ice jigs with waxworms with sensitive slip floats a few feet off bottom, the long rods are important to pick up enough line quickly on the hookset to stick these light biters. Here are a few pics from last fall and a very old video, I hope to redo the video this fall documenting the canning process better.......canned/jarred Whitefish is amazing :)

IMG_3186_zps82fc9ofg.jpg

IMG_1264_zpsgoylyvif.jpg

IMG_5259_zpsohvphjjg.jpg

IMG_5115_zpsaly5ioxk.jpg

IMG_1260_zpswpfri5z6.jpg

IMG_0798_zpserlradgl.jpg

IMG_0799_zpsclyg0qgi.jpg

IMG_3241_zpsozh37qnu.jpg

IMG_3229_zpszdinaidm.jpg

IMG_5114_zps7tx9pcl4.jpg

IMG_3220_zpseniw7ncm.jpg

Here is the very old video, and the picture quality is poor, but the info is still good. I do hope to redo/update it with some of my newer gear, and better explain the canning process. Because its an old video I apologize for the "plug" at the end, but that jig doesn't exist anymore anyway

Edited by cl_outside

I didnt' watch the vids yet, but this is a great post. Whitefish are a bit of an anomaly for me, but I know there are lots of great opportunities to catch them, I just need to learn and try. Plus I love eating whitefish as much if not move that walleye.

Thanks for sharing, now that's the kind of show I'd sooner watch on TV, very informative. :good:

Canned Whites, how do you eat them after, chowder, Whitefish salad sandwich or ?

I've canned Salmon, it's great making Salmon sandwiches.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Thanks for sharing, now that's the kind of show I'd sooner watch on TV, very informative. :good:

Canned Whites, how do you eat them after, chowder, Whitefish salad sandwich or ?

I've canned Salmon, it's great making Salmon sandwiches.

I use it a lot for sandwiches, mix it up with avocado and onion, lots of black pepper, or you can use mayo. Also makes really good "crab" cakes

Awesome post! Any chance you want to share your Brook Trout adventure too???

I hope to do a video for those lakes this year too

I use my pin/long rod, down rig,n for lakers on Simcoe here. It,s a blast. Might have to see if I can do what your doing for whities.

Need to see this canning video.

Definitely plan on doing a more indepth video for canning them this fall

Those are some real piggies. What time of year was that? When I fished for them in May, we targeted them in deep water. I've only seen them surface like that for Mayflies.

Not sure about pickling them though ;P

This was in September, June is good for fly fishing dries for them during the hatches

Awesome stuff. Would love to try putting this into practice, just tough to find lakes with a strong population of them, since no one around here targets them. How did you guys get onto this technique?

We learned the basics of the technique from some older guys that camped on one of the lakes we fish ( I have learned to listen closely to old guys,... a lot of wisdom comes with those grey hairs). We then refined it abit combining some newer tackle components, like slimmer more sensitive floats, jig styles, Fluorocarbon leaders, and a few other tweeks. But realistically the biggest challenge is finding areas the fish are using. The nice thing about Whities they often surface, jump and swirl on top when in shallow water feeding and give away their locations, spending time driving around with your graph will help you find them too, but again this time of year we always look for mucky areas outside of weedbeds in fairly large bays. Most lakes that have Whitefish tend to have lots of them, as they are rarely pressured too hard

Great vid man! Fishing for them with dries on a 4wt is a riot! Like you said, once you find them surfacing, you've pretty much found the motherload. Haven't tried it with my float rig, but it sure sounds like a lot of fun.

Great vid man! Fishing for them with dries on a 4wt is a riot! Like you said, once you find them surfacing, you've pretty much found the motherload. Haven't tried it with my float rig, but it sure sounds like a lot of fun.

I would really like to try them in June again when the big flies are hatching, surface action just at dark is a lot of fun, they often cruise just under the surface and you can see their backs cutting through the surface at times

3 comments:

1. Awesome fishing, and I am jealous! We used to fish them in the spring on very short, ultralight rods, straight down over the gunwales. So the hookset is straight up, regardless of water depth.

2. If you like canned whities, you must try canned SMOKED whities, probably the best of all of the smoked canned fish I have done over the years.

3. If you can your fish during your trip, it would be impossible for a conservation officer to determine species and number of fish being transported. Just sayin'... that would really ruin your trip..........

Doug

3 comments:

1. Awesome fishing, and I am jealous! We used to fish them in the spring on very short, ultralight rods, straight down over the gunwales. So the hookset is straight up, regardless of water depth.

2. If you like canned whities, you must try canned SMOKED whities, probably the best of all of the smoked canned fish I have done over the years.

3. If you can your fish during your trip, it would be impossible for a conservation officer to determine species and number of fish being transported. Just sayin'... that would really ruin your trip..........

Doug

I put some liquid smoke in a couple of the jars this year, but have yet to try it.......I am gonna get one out now LOL

One of the guys that goes with us does an amazing job smoking them too, may have to can some of them this year

#3 I just sent an email to the MNR to get confirmation of my understanding of the rules for "processed" fish....... its a good point for sure

I put some liquid smoke in a couple of the jars this year, but have yet to try it.......I am gonna get one out now LOL

One of the guys that goes with us does an amazing job smoking them too, may have to can some of them this year

#3 I just sent an email to the MNR to get confirmation of my understanding of the rules for "processed" fish....... its a good point for sure

Not trying to be an asshat, just had a buddy with a bad experience. But NOT with canned fish, just fillets that could not be identified, and "transport" was the issue. Fillets we did not eat at camp, bringing them home rather than throwing them out (also an offence of course), and you can't put skin back ON to a skinned fillet.... the CO did not see things that way and my buddy paid a fine for half a dozen crappie fillets.

My trips to Labrador @ the Canada Day weekend the whitefish are going crazy for flies. Hard to get a good drift for the Ouananiche and brookies when you flies dont even drift 3 ft down river and you have two or three whiteys on at once( I fish three flies on a line when allowed. Also have had great dry fly action for them in the evening on Manitou Lake in Algonquin @ the 24.

I am interested in hearing what MNR has to say as well. I can a lot of things, and wonder if it is still considered to be in possession once its canned.

I assumed your fish were considered processed, meaning prepared to eat. It kinda hard to can fish in a way that they are easily counted, so I would love to know what they say.

S.