Let's Go Blue Jays !!!

Beans

My take away from the first four games is that the starting pitching is where we need it to be. Can't fault the starters at all. Martin and Smoak/Colobello need to start hitting and this team will hit it's stride.

HH

Starting pitching is fine on this team. The bullpen will occasionally give up runs. I can't imagine this team expects to win too many games while scoring 2 or 3 runs, especially when they're all scored by one 3 run homerun in the 34rd or 4th inning.

By the way - "Good pitching beats good hitting and vice versa" - unknown (probably Casey Stengel or Yogi Berra).

Still think they should have finished the job and made the warning tracks dirt too.

But that looks a lot more like a ball diamond! Lets just hope there are no garbage hops on that transition like we were seeing in Tampa, although I think they only have like 2-3" of dirt there, while this is built with like 12" of clay underneath.

Edited by netminder

Another game ended with this "new" double play rule.

Even better this time the guy catching the ball at second never had any intention of trying to throw the ball to first. He just stood on the bag waiting for the runner to slide into him and then looked at the ump for the call.

Brewers/Astros game:

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/04/09/astros-rally-ends-on-utley-rule-call-brewers-win/

Breaking: MLB has now instituted and new rule: The infield double play rule is invoked any time there is a runner on first base and there are less than 2 outs. Any ground ball hit to a middle any infielder shall be ruled an automatic double play. Any other runners are also ruled out if they adjust themselves during the play.

Also under consideration is the let them hit rule. Any batter who swings and misses at a ball twice in a single at bat will be allowed to self pitch the ball to put it into play. If the batter is unable to put a ball into play after 5 attempts then he can throw the ball and attempt to run to first base. If on 3 consecutive at bats the batter is unable to safely reach first base he will be awarded first base. More to come.

3 games in a row they panic and pull the starting pitcher and then the bullpen blows it. Give the starter the chance to get out of the mess he made. If he blows it then its his own fault. Why not see if Stroman could dig himself out of that hole and get the experience of the extreme pressure that he needs ? They had a good lead lets see what the kid is made of.

3 games in a row they panic and pull the starting pitcher and then the bullpen blows it. Give the starter the chance to get out of the mess he made. If he blows it then its his own fault. Why not see if Stroman could dig himself out of that hole and get the experience of the extreme pressure that he needs ? They had a good lead lets see what the kid is made of.

I agree.

I think this early in the season , they are careful with those arms.

Breaking: MLB has now instituted and new rule: The infield double play rule is invoked any time there is a runner on first base and there are less than 2 outs. Any ground ball hit to a middle any infielder shall be ruled an automatic double play. Any other runners are also ruled out if they adjust themselves during the play.

Also under consideration is the let them hit rule. Any batter who swings and misses at a ball twice in a single at bat will be allowed to self pitch the ball to put it into play. If the batter is unable to put a ball into play after 5 attempts then he can throw the ball and attempt to run to first base. If on 3 consecutive at bats the batter is unable to safely reach first base he will be awarded first base. More to come.

Yeah I saw that too. What a joke.

But JB had a nice slide that actually broke up a double play yesterday I believe it was. Perfect slide just before the bag, directly over top, reached back to hold on and still managed to put his feet into the second baseman. Of course it was reviewed but what do you expect with the way the rule is written. That will be displayed as the standard for the only way to break up a double play from now on.

Glad to see Estrada still in fine form. It's amazing how an 89 mph fastball can look about 99 when your changeup is so effective. Makes me wish I understood the changeup as a kid learning to pitch. All I wanted to do was throw hard and make it bend.

Now can I complain about Cecil?

yes. yes you can. But... I think with time he'll get the breaking ball working again. He needs to figure out how to throw it for strikes or there's going to be a lot more outings like the ones he's been having lately

I need to stop watching every game this early in the season. Too frustrating this early on to pay this close attention. Martin, Tulo, Colabello all ice cold. Still trying to sort out the bullpen... No one can hit past like the 3rd inning when you should be mashing against opposing bullpens. They're currently 27th in the majors as a team in batting average. I know it's a marathon not a sprint, but it's nice to bank some of these games early on, especially when your pitching is over-performing and your bats haven't started running on all cylinders yet.

They'll turn it on eventually. I think they need to get out of the division for a few series just to alleviate the pressure and let them get on a roll. Unfortunately all but two series this month is against the east.

Maybe I should just watch the Stanley Cup playoffs for a couple months and then start watching baseball again. Hopefully by then they've figured it out.

The Erie Express is at it again! Is there anyone left in the Indian's organization?

If I was one of the vendors at the Dome, you know the guys, walking up and down the stairs selling beer and stuff, I would be looking over my shoulder for a Cleveland guy to come in and take my job!

The Indians suck and have for some time. Yah, I get the "budget restraints, but there has to be people available that don't have the cheesey buck toothed mascot tattooed to their behind.

As far as the Jays themselves go, I think they need a road trip to get themselves sorted out.

HH

The Erie Express is at it again! Is there anyone left in the Indian's organization?

If I was one of the vendors at the Dome, you know the guys, walking up and down the stairs selling beer and stuff, I would be looking over my shoulder for a Cleveland guy to come in and take my job!

The Indians suck and have for some time. Yah, I get the "budget restraints, but there has to be people available that don't have the cheesey buck toothed mascot tattooed to their behind.

As far as the Jays themselves go, I think they need a road trip to get themselves sorted out.

HH

SERIOUSLY! Recruiting people from a losing organization usually is not a good sign. Ed Rogers needs a tail slap across his face.

yes. yes you can. But... I think with time he'll get the breaking ball working again. He needs to figure out how to throw it for strikes or there's going to be a lot more outings like the ones he's been having lately

I need to stop watching every game this early in the season. Too frustrating this early on to pay this close attention. Martin, Tulo, Colabello all ice cold. Still trying to sort out the bullpen... No one can hit past like the 3rd inning when you should be mashing against opposing bullpens. They're currently 27th in the majors as a team in batting average. I know it's a marathon not a sprint, but it's nice to bank some of these games early on, especially when your pitching is over-performing and your bats haven't started running on all cylinders yet.

They'll turn it on eventually. I think they need to get out of the division for a few series just to alleviate the pressure and let them get on a roll. Unfortunately all but two series this month is against the east.

Maybe I should just watch the Stanley Cup playoffs for a couple months and then start watching baseball again. Hopefully by then they've figured it out.

I know my frusteration would be better aimed at the bats (which have been terrible) but blown saves are heartbreaking.

I figure if they are down a bunch and mount a comeback and fall short we say 'that is a step in the right direction'.

If they are down 3-2 after the first or second innings and they end up losing 3-2 or 4-2 I say it's the bats faults because the pitching held their own.

If they are up 2-1, 3-2, 9-8 in the 8th, although it would be nice to have the insurance runs, this is what setup guys get paid for. Shoot, I can go out and blow a save and they can pay me 500k.

Really hope Cecil figures his stuff out.

Edited by jeremy84

problem is, peoples expectations are sky high right now, and anything less than perfect requires an obituary. they are putting so much pressure on the team to perform that maybe they are gripping the bats too tight and trying to force things to happen instead of just letting them happen. Jays need a trip to a strip club or something to relax lol

Pitcher has to choose which way he is pitching before the batter.

Yup. And it's actually called the Venditte rule after this guy.

I don't know if it was him, but I remember a few years ago seeing a blooper reel of a switch pitcher and switch hitter constantly switching back and forth. Took them about 10 tries before one of them gave in and just played out the at bat.

edit: after googling switch pitcher it turns out it actually was Venditte playing for a Yankees single A affiliate when the above happened. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch_pitcher

Edited by netminder