Sturgeon Lake water levels

Big Cliff

Well, as of this morning the water level in Sturgeon lake is probably close to or at the highest I have seen it in the 16 years we have been here. With that wind last night and the high water I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of floating docks and debries out there. I'm not even going to try to put my docks in for another two weeks.

Mom has moved back up to Caygeon for the summer so we where up there visiting yesterday Cliff. And of course we did a little tour around while we where in town. I agree the water is as high as I have ever seen it in the 25 years we have been going up there. It is just roaring through the channel in town between Pidgeon and Sturgeon, the surges are just slamming into Gordons Yacht club. Half our back yard at the cottage is still underwater as well.

I really can't believe the difference from last spring when they let everything drain so low. Especially after the winter we had with far less snow. Where's all the water coming from?

A lot of it has to do with all the rain we had and the ground still being frozen but there was also quite a bit of snow still in the bush up in Haliburton Highlands as of two weeks ago so that has been working it's way down as well.

I just went down to have a look at the shore line, there are pieces of docks, railroad ties, and lots of logs and branches floating around. Our neighbors shore line is lower than ours and he has enough fire wood washed up on his land to keep his bon fires going all summer. If the water comes up another few inches he is going to loose his floating dock. I tried to pull it up higher onto land but it's too heavy for me to move and everything is covered in ice from the waves splashing it. I have a call in to him but just got his voice mail. Oh well I did try!

She's 2' high and rising partner, this is the highest I have ever seen it. My neighbors dock just floated away (not the one I tried to move, the neighbor on the other side), I managed to get a rope on it and used my ATV to haul it back from the water a couple of feet. He's going to have a hard time getting it back into the water in the spring but at least he'll have it! Boy it's cold out there in that wind, I think I need a shot of brandy just to get the blood flowing again.

Just got home from the Kawartha Sportsmen show and the levels at my dock (south of Grenadier Island) are at normal summer level.

It must just be shooting right on through from Bobcaygeon, through the Narrows and into Chemong and Buckhorn.

I bet the channel markers in the Narrows are laying flat over because of all the current.

I hope everyone downstream stays reasonably dry.

Still lots of smashed docks and lots of debris even our boat launch is jammed full of logs and parts of docks and garbage and you name it still a mess ..... Our beach dock that is shared by our area is all smashed up as well as the marina .... It's in bad shape too !!!and the high water had just been floating all this junk around and doing more damage from the wind & waves crashing it into other docks and stuff .....

My marine railway is about 6' from where it's supposed to be. Fortunatly I disconnect it every fall so if the ice does move it there usually isn't any damage. Water is still too high for me to check it yet though. Going to be a PITA to get it back in place and hooked up but that's living on the water for you LOL.

The water is over my dock on lower Pigeon. I have the wooden top strapped down so she won't float away. That's three years in a row now that the level seems uncontrolled, never saw this the previous 27 years I lived in this spot.

On the way home from 'Caygeon I noticed the water was at the top of the docks at Pirates Cove near Nogies Creek...

Same thing at our lagoon at the north shore of Taites Bay...some docks were even submerged...

A friend told us her dock on Big Bald was submerged also...

The swamp just west of Flynn's Corners was up and over Country Road 36...

Edited by Beans

Here are the measured levels, taken from the level monitoring system at the control structures.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/trentsevern/visit/ne-wl/trent_e.asp

Today, Sturgeon is well above normal navigation levels and looks like it's still heading up. It never hit a historic low, but it got close.

I just came up from the lake and cleaning up all the stuff that washed up, water level is way down from it's highest point the other day, I would say it is about 10" above it's normal summer level as of this afternoon.

was out in it Saturday repairing a waterline, little high still and darned cold all the back bays and canals were skimmed over with ice still at 2 pm this afternoon must be second winter lol.

pigeon very high all docks under water in big bob channel