Tips for catching carp in the grand River?

Garcia96

Hello there been couple of times I tried catching carp in some of my spots cause there's tone of them in there. For carp I just try the old fashion worm and split shots. I don't know anything about carp or live bait and was wondering if someone give give few tips?? I know I cast in a area of schooling carp but they won't bite !

Pick a spot and chum it good with some corn or boilies of your own concoction, use the same bait on a hook with a slip sinker and cast into the middle of your chummed area. Proceed to wait!

For pro tips look up hair rigs and boilies that might help give you the edge on them.

I find when the carp are jumping they dont bite nearly as well as when they are quiet, look for small patches of tiny bubbles to come up to the surface this indicates that they are rooting around the bottom actively feeding.

Good luck, post a pic when you get one!

When they spawning here on the lakeshore where we are you can just reach down and pick up a female after she's spawned out. They are here by the thousands, maybe tens of thousands and once they finished spawning you won't see on for a year. I have tried and tried to catch them here but when they are spawning they won't touch a thing. They are great for the gardens. I have seen a few "Carp" pros along the lake at the mouths of feeder creeks catch them pre spawn. They have all the bells and whistles to nab one.

Good luck to you. They are fun once you have one on that's for sure. 20 pounds of muscle, or more. The few I did have on the lines wore and broke from their epic runs over the rocks.

I know that guys go to extremes to catch them, but the odd time I've fished carp we just put a couple corn kernels on a hook under a float. Worked like a charm. Worth a shot.

what he said-works for me consistently Garcia--maybe some resident Carp Pros here will chime in--Photoz ?

Edited by icedude

Grew up catching carp on the Grand, really looked forward to it every May. Things seem more complicated now but back then it was pretty simple....can of corn, hooks and some split shot. Look for deeper, slower sections of river and chuck a handful of corn over the area you want to fish. Pile on as many corn kernels onto your hook as you can and cast it out. Prop your rod up on a branch stuck in the bank and reel up the slack in your line. Watch your rod tip for any bites, some are quite subtle and some literally drag your rod into the river. I know there are way more elaborate and probably more effective ways to catch them but it doesn't have to be. Have fun, they are a blast and the Grand is polluted with them.

I normally grab a big bag of frozen corn (2kg) from no frills. Good for a couple of outings and you can chum a little more freely. If I remember correctly it's best to let it thaw out too, easier to get on the hook and sinks rather than floats. I think if you have the same bag on the go for a few days it might get a better/stronger scent trail in the water but that's just speculation. I use to use hair rigs but switched over to the more basic corn on the hook and sliding sinker and had just as much success. Maybe the carp here in Peterborough aren't too choosy. Fun fish for sure.

Thanks for the reply guys! And great tips ! Have you guys ever used bread? When it gets a bit warmer I'm going to try just regular corn on small hook. Is it bad to use more then one bait with another rod same time? Like 2 rods corn and another rod of worms ?? And would love to see some pics!

Bread is a nightmare to keep on the hook, and worms will attract nibbles and bites from every species... corn or boilies are simple and very effective methods. I like to chum with frozen corn (cheaper) but use canned corn on the hooks - the canned corn seems to have a better texture for staying on a hook.

No I meant having 3 rods in a holder. And plus a buddy. But does the frozen corn still have a decent attraction to thrm? Cause I know can corn has the juice ? Dying to catch my first carp:( I don't count the snags loool

Go to your local feed store and get a bag of whole corn

Fill some pails around 50% full of the dried corn then top up with water (you can add kool-aid and sugar of you want it flavored... I buy "deer feed" at tsc... It's already coated in molasis)

Leave that in an area that gets some sunlight for 3+ days or boil it until the kernels start splitting

1 bag of corn for $10-$15 will give you 3 x 4 gallon pails of bait

If your fishing spot isn't far from home or work try to go and feed at least a gallon every few days on the same spot around the same time you plan to fish (like 7am if that's when you usually like to fish)

The night before you fish go spread an entire pail of corn

When you show up in the morning you should get some really fast bites... Sometimes only seconds after casting if all goes to plan...

Don't be shy to throw a couple handfulls of bait in after every bite as well to keep the group feeding

YouTube hair rig and you can use the same soaked feed corn on the hair as your free baits you chum with... You don't need big fancy 8oz sinkers... Just like a 1-3 oz slip sinker with a hair rig below a swivel...

I like the baitrunner because you can set up a bolt rig and then simply hit the switch with full drag in force once the carp is on. This works particularly well for spooky carp.

You could read with this set up and just wait for strikes. :)