ABU GARCIA VERITAS TORO CASTING rod

1 PIECE
LINE RATING 40-60
LURE RATING 4-10
GUIDE TYPE Stainless Steel
ROD BLANK MATERIAL Graphite
ROD HANDLE MATERIAL EVA
GUIDES INCLUDING TIP 11

toro winch will work fine too. just a little more ca$h. i don't know if it comes with a clicker like the C3 or not.. the c3 could also be repurposed as a trolling reel.

Edited by Raf

use the reel you have, the winch is for pulling big blades, and the rod will not handle big blades, the outfit will be perfect for throwing one of my favorites the Bomber Long A Mag, some smaller rubber, ie Storms, and smaller bucktails ie 5s to maybe 7s, Super Shad Raps etc, 65 pound braid all the way i use my flippin stick for the above baits, as they handle them more efficiently then the standard musky apparel, and will cast them a country mile if you want to bomb cast. Definately use the low profile reel you have, with a 5.4 retrieve or higher, the Winch at 4.6 will not move those baits fast enough, unless you crank like a mad man, and will be counter productive

Rod sounds like it should handle the smaller spectrum of musky lures which is fine... Especially from a kayak...

As far as a reel keep in mind if you use a reel that doesn't have sufficient drag you'll be rod pumping fish in instead of cranking them in... Or the lighter drag will extend the fight which is bad news for musky when the water is warm... Just something to consider...

Rod sounds like it should handle the smaller spectrum of musky lures which is fine... Especially from a kayak...

As far as a reel keep in mind if you use a reel that doesn't have sufficient drag you'll be rod pumping fish in instead of cranking them in... Or the lighter drag will extend the fight which is bad news for musky when the water is warm... Just something to consider...

my premier reel is 20lb drag

not sure what min. drag would be for musky

Edited by hunteronwheels

I'm not a musky fisherman but other than really small stuff I've always pumped decent sized fish in during my nearly 60 years of angling, always viewed simply cranking as a sign of a noob especially while the drag is slipping, what is the reasoning behind reeling and not pumping fighting a musky?

The local shop brought in the Daiwa Lexa 300 for that purpose. It has a higher speed than most.

The toro winch would more Han likely do it though if you can get passed the slower gear ratio

well thank you for the info the daiwa looks like it fits the bill i never considered daiwa