Kawarthas Houseboat Trip Question

FishFinder17

Hi All,

I'm the best man in my good friend's wedding and have planned a 4 day houseboat trip for his bachelor party. We booked through Happy Days on Pigeon lake and will be on their "luxury model" (picture attached).

We will have 11 guys on the boat and 4 of us are avid fisherman. Because of that I'm wondering if it makes sense to bring my 16ft tracker and tow it behind the houseboat? Has anyone ever done something like this and do you have to take the two boats through the locks separately?

We are planning to head up pigeon to bobcaygeon, through sturgeon, and up to fenelon falls..and hopefully we'll find a muskie or two along the way.

If anyone has done a trip like this it would be great to learn from your experience.

Thanks in advance,

FF17

lux1.jpg

Edited by FishFinder17

Hi All,

I'm the best man in my good friend's wedding and have planned a 4 day houseboat trip for his bachelor party. We booked through Happy Days on Pigeon lake and will be on their "luxury model" (picture attached).

We will have 11 guys on the boat and 4 of us are avid fisherman. Because of that I'm wondering if it makes sense to bring my 16ft tracker and tow it behind the houseboat? Has anyone ever done something like this and do you have to take the two boats through the locks separately?

We are planning to head up pigeon to bobcaygeon, through sturgeon, and up to fenelon falls..and hopefully we'll find a muskie or two along the way.

If anyone has done a trip like this it would be great to learn from your experience.

Thanks in advance,

FF17

YES, we have house boated there 3 time and 2 times we towed a fishing boat behind us. If I remember correctly it's best to have someone in that boat while locking thru........HOWEVER, you will be charge for that boat to lock in and out as the houseboat lock pass only covers the houseboat.

We took the same path you guys are talking about and you should have no problems with the extra boat. It tows very well behind the house boat.

Good Luck and have LOTS of FUN.......... :)

I once read an article on house boating written from a psychiatric point of view and I wish I could find it. It explained how many people to take so the group wouldn't turn on one person and eventually each other and all kinds of stuff. As an alternative read Lord of the flies.

You'll have a blast.

All fish species open then.

4 days is just about right with that many people.

To include everyone, for fun, have a panfish tournament.

You have to tie up to shore at night.

Think about where.

Locks are the best place to dock at night.......and we also used some quiet coves to stay the night but you must be careful of winds and shallow water.

Locks are the best place to dock at night.......and we also used some quiet coves to stay the night but you must be careful of winds and shallow water.

That brings up another one of my questions...

I think it's obvious that the boys are going to get rowdy in the evenings so will this create issues if we tie up at the locks overnight? disturbing any other boaters who are spending the night? I don't want to cause any trouble

I assumed it would be best to anchor overnight somewhere away from others but I'm hearing mixed reviews on this..

You can always anchor in a weedy bay or rocky (Crown land) shore away from cottages.

Drop the houseboat anchor about 50 or 60 feet from the shore line and motor in to about 10 or 15 feet from shore. Then using the smaller boat or wading, take two ropes tied to the front of the houseboat onto shore and tie off to two trees.

Or set an anchor near a weed edge and drift into it and set another anchor.

Awesome, thanks very much guys. I really appreciate the help.

If you have any additional tips or things I should consider I'm all ears...this is my first time doing this and want to make sure the boys have a great time.

Thanks again, this has bean a huge help.

FF17

It's going to be a blast regardless, but I would look at getting a houseboat on Temagami instead, a way cooler blast IMO

Thanks Chris but I've already got the deposit down!

I've heard great things about the Temagami houseboat trip though, my brother did it last year.

FishFinder

Temagami would be my first recommendation But barring that have you considered going East?

Sturgeon lake can be a long, monotonous high fuel consumption ride

Going East , Buckhorn,Lovesick.Burliegh Falls, Stoney is way more scenic better fishing and lots more spots to anchor out

The locks are good overnight places but the other boaters would not likely really appreciated your partying!!! and as this being a bachelor get together with 11 guys I am assuming there will be 1 case on board!!! and some tunes.

Just a precaution Be very careful with the alcohol when travelling and be sure your captain is a DD as the OPP do spot checks and sometimes breath tests at the locks.

Have 'FUN'

Play safe

Cheers

Rick

This. I've done it before with Happy Days boats. You can get pretty loud on the island and not worry.

Had place directly 800 meters or so across from houseboat party place (Reotzels island) on east shore Pigeon.

You could hear partying on houseboats no problem especially on calm nights from over there.

Had place directly 800 meters or so across from houseboat party place (Reotzels island) on east shore Pigeon.

You could hear partying on houseboats no problem especially on calm nights from over there.

I'm not saying they won't be heard, just that it's unlikely someone is coming out there to tell them to keep it down!

FishFinder

Temagami would be my first recommendation But barring that have you considered going East?

Sturgeon lake can be a long, monotonous high fuel consumption ride

Going East , Buckhorn,Lovesick.Burliegh Falls, Stoney is way more scenic better fishing and lots more spots to anchor out

The locks are good overnight places but the other boaters would not likely really appreciated your partying!!! and as this being a bachelor get together with 11 guys I am assuming there will be 1 case on board!!! and some tunes.

Just a precaution Be very careful with the alcohol when travelling and be sure your captain is a DD as the OPP do spot checks and sometimes breath tests at the locks.

Have 'FUN'

Play safe

Cheers

Rick

Thanks Rick.

I'm not dead set on heading west and I do see your point on sturgeon being a long and slow drive (I have to remember that these houseboats don't move quick!)

If you say the east has better fishing then I will definitely take a look and see if that makes more sense.

As for the booze, I'm going to be very strict with the boys on that one. I've been boating my whole life and I know the old "water on the water, beer on the pier" lesson. We will always have a sober driver or else the anchor stays on the bottom!

Really appreciate all of the help and input. We will have an even better trip with all of the tips you guys have provided.

FF17