Towing Boat Long Distance

alexw

I pulled my covered utility trailer 1250 miles to the Tampa Florida area, the things already mentioned, a spare tire for the trailer and car? Those little donut tire aren't really good for towing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.74514,-78.8561365,9.94z

There is water there, but probably a different style of fishing unless you are after bass or catfish.

Tillary, and Jordan. Catfish and Striper.....big ones.

I am mainly after bass, but I will take Striper and Catfish any day, especially big ones :). We are planning to buy a house in Chapel Hill, so Jordan lake should be very close.

You're just a couple of hours drive to the coast and some salty fishing too. Lots of redfish and other inshore stuff you can do with your boat.

Yes I think it's about 3 hr drive to the Outer Banks. I have no idea if my Lund can be used in salt water though, even if it can, I have to stay real close to shore due to its size.

Yes I think it's about 3 hr drive to the Outer Banks. I have no idea if my Lund can be used in salt water though, even if it can, I have to stay real close to shore due to its size.

Plenty of protected water to fish.

No need to head out deep or far off shore.

Your Lund will be fine in the salt.

You need to give it a thorough rinse inside and out as well as the trailer and flushing the engine and washing your tackle after each trip though.

Capture_zps2c8nnp3x.jpg

If the bearings have been freshly re-packed they should go tens of thousands of miles without issue just like the back wheels on your front wheel drive car do (some cars go their whole life with no service on the rear bearings but they aren't in and out of the water like a boat trailer). That said and trailer bearings being what they are, I carry a whole hub assembly which can be changed in minutes with nothing more than a pair of pliers. They only cost a little more than a bearing kit but are waaaaay easier to change on the road. Just make sure you get the right bolt pattern with the right bearing & seal diameters (that's a little bit of experience speaking....). Good Luck!!

X2, One hub for the boat trailer and one for the cargo trailer.

Have towed my boat from New Jersey to Toronto and fem Toronto to Georgia/South Carolina and back and will be headed to Arkansas in a few weeks. Pull the caps off your bearing hubs and check the grease. If it's really dirty or weird looking consider pulling the bearings out and re packing them or just replacing them. As others said any time you stop immediately check your wheels to see if they are hot. You will know what too hot is. Make sure your tire pressure is right. And if you are passing through different climates re check the tire pressure when the tire are cold. Eg 40psi at Toronto -5 temps can be big trouble in Florida +30 temps and vice versa. Keep an extra wheel but, a replacement bearing, greese, nut wrench, a jack that will reach and lift your wheel. A good place to check your tow vehicles jack is in the driveway because finding out it doesn't have enough lift is not so fun when you have everything else on the side of a highway in -10 in snow. Check your lights whenever you stop. Things can shake loose. Have a lock for your tongue and your receiver.

I have a spare hub and bearing assembly in my boat all the time. It never comes out. Ive never needed it, but if i do it will make changing one out real easy.

I wouldnt worry too much about towing that far. As long as your rig is in good shape it will be fine.

S.

One thing no one seemed to have mentioned... Crack the lug nuts at home to make sure you can take them off if you are on the road and have to change a tire.

Personally, like someone mentioned above, I have a complete hub with packed bearings and seal with spare tire installed.

One thing no one seemed to have mentioned... Crack the lug nuts at home to make sure you can take them off if you are on the road and have to

Yes, good advice. Make sure you have the right size wrench to get them off too. I know the wheel wrench in my vehicle is too big for my trailer lugs....

S.