Towing Boat Long Distance

alexw

Greetings all,

I am moving to the U.S from Toronto soon and am planning to tow my 1725 Lund boat with me. One way distance is about 1300 km. A couple of questions for you guys:

1) Has anyone towed boat this far and what should I be watching out for. Towing vehicle is a Buick Enclave.

2) Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should sell the boat here and then buy another one down south, or simply tow it to the U.S?

Thanks in advance!

Does your Enclave have a transmission cooler? Will you have the boat loaded with goods you're moving with you? Watch the weight! That'll add quick to the stress over that distance.

As far as selling vs taking it with you, that's tough to say, depends on the boats current age and value. If your moving there, I'll assume you're going to be working there and getting paid in USD. If not, and you'll be buying a boat with converted cash from CDN dollars, bad idea. You'd be selling in CDN and buying in USD - wrong direction!

Where you going btw? Wait until Trump get elected and you'll get a good deal on a house from the people moving to Canada! LOL

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It's good to know that some of you have done it and it's not a NO-NO. I am planning to replace the 2 tires and repack the bearings myself. So hopefully I am good there.

Does your Enclave have a transmission cooler? Will you have the boat loaded with goods you're moving with you? Watch the weight! That'll add quick to the stress over that distance.

As far as selling vs taking it with you, that's tough to say, depends on the boats current age and value. If your moving there, I'll assume you're going to be working there and getting paid in USD. If not, and you'll be buying a boat with converted cash from CDN dollars, bad idea. You'd be selling in CDN and buying in USD - wrong direction!

Where you going btw? Wait until Trump get elected and you'll get a good deal on a house from the people moving to Canada! LOL

Yes the Enclave comes with a towing package. I will try not to load anything on the boat or the Enclave when towing.

The move is due to a change in work and will be paid in USD.

I am moving to North Carolina (RTP region). Not sure how the fishing will be there though, they don't have as many lakes as we do here.

I have pulled my boat about 6,000kms one way.

Before the trip I replaced the rims and tires with new and put the old ones in the boat as spares.

I then did a full repack on the bearings and had a spare set just in case.

I also had a tub of grease and the tools needed to replace the bearings if needed.

Like Bill I checked the hubs and tires @ each fuel stop.

I have pulled my boat about 6,000kms one way.

Before the trip I replaced the rims and tires with new and put the old ones in the boat as spares.

I then did a full repack on the bearings and had a spare set just in case.

I also had a tub of grease and the tools needed to replace the bearings if needed.

Like Bill I checked the hubs and tires @ each fuel stop.

Wow 6000kms! Did you have any trouble at all with the bearings and tires on the trip?

I pulled my covered utility trailer 1250 miles to the Tampa Florida area, the things already mentioned, a spare tire for the trailer and car? Those little donut tire aren't really good for towing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.74514,-78.8561365,9.94z

There is water there, but probably a different style of fishing unless you are after bass or catfish.

The only thing to add is to get a infrared thermometer and you can shoot the hubs and tire to spot if they need grease or the tire is running hot. I run a Ranger boat 14 hours straight running around 60-75 MPH with no issues twice a year.

Art

I've trailered my 14' Lund many times up to to 7-9 hours at a time. No issues. At each stop I do a full check of the boat & trailer. I physically feel the hubs to ensure they are not running hot, also feel the tires for heat. I also carry a brand new spare hub with appropriate tools to do a quick change if necessary. I also carry 1 or 2 litres of motor oil, bearing grease, & grease gun. Check your tie down straps as well.

One thing I forgot to mention is before your trip go over the whole trailer looking for loose/missing fasteners and cracked welds.

When I went over mine before heading on my trip I found a broken spring mount weld that had to be repaired before the long journey.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It's good to know that some of you have done it and it's not a NO-NO. I am planning to replace the 2 tires and repack the bearings myself. So hopefully I am good there.

Yes the Enclave comes with a towing package. I will try not to load anything on the boat or the Enclave when towing.

The move is due to a change in work and will be paid in USD.

I am moving to North Carolina (RTP region). Not sure how the fishing will be there though, they don't have as many lakes as we do here.

Tillary, and Jordan. Catfish and Striper.....big ones.

def do grease and inspect everything and then do it again...I trailer my boat trailer about 5-8,000km every year during fishing season,and replace tires and full bearings every 2 years just keep and eye on things like they said in above posts proper air pressure in tires also inspect lights and trailer tounge to make sure everything is snug and fits right on the ball,also check towing chains

Trailers are made to be towed. Check out all the fasteners, lights, make sure the bearings are adjusted correctly and are greased, the tires are in good shape, the trailer brakes work if applicable, you have a spare tire, jack and correct tire wrench and a spare set of bearings and you are good to go. It will take you 2-3 hours to get it ready. When you stop for gas, check the hubs, if they are HOT to the touch, there is a problem, warm is ok but not so hot that you cannot hold your finger to them. If that happens, you will need to pull off the wheel and inspect for damage then repack the bearings with grease and reinstall correctly. Youtube is your friend with this.

I make two trips up to the French River / Nipissing area each year - some 500+ miles one way. (Sometimes three trips).

I always check the trailer front to back before I leave the house - and I also do the same before leaving the camp for the trip home.

I carry a small air compressor with me to top off the tires (Truck and Trailer) whenever needed.

As others have mentioned, I do a walk-around at each stop and make sure all is well and that the bearings are not over-heating.

In all the years making these trips, I've never had an issue.

I do need to pick up some spare trailer light bulbs.

If the bearings have been freshly re-packed they should go tens of thousands of miles without issue just like the back wheels on your front wheel drive car do (some cars go their whole life with no service on the rear bearings but they aren't in and out of the water like a boat trailer). That said and trailer bearings being what they are, I carry a whole hub assembly which can be changed in minutes with nothing more than a pair of pliers. They only cost a little more than a bearing kit but are waaaaay easier to change on the road. Just make sure you get the right bolt pattern with the right bearing & seal diameters (that's a little bit of experience speaking....). Good Luck!!