HELP !! fishing/vacation trip with wife.. she wants to go fishing

tizfun

OK.... I've decided to take the wife to a lodge (her idea) since her great catches last year.. She wants to go somewhere different than Port Severn or Honey Harbour. So I need some help in deciding which lodge would be better for fishing.. I want her to catch and have a great time.

I've narrowed it down to two lodges... Waterfalls Lodge or Marten River Lodge for a week in August.. They both look great and offer back lake fishing at an extra cost which is the norm... We'll be bringing our boat up for comfort..

Has anyone been to either of these lodges ? What's the fishing like on the main lakes ? Species ?

Any tips or anyone's past experience with either of these lodges would be greatly appreciated.. I need to book by the end of the week as there are only a few cottages at each left...

Thanks in advance..

Tiz

Edited by tizfun

Never been to Martin River,

But I have been to Waterfalls lodge a few times, always 1st or 2nd week of June, Some of my buddies have been going there for more than 5 years,

We always catch a ton of walleye, there is Pike, bass, perch and lake trout as well, never tried the remote lakes, but heard good fishing stories from other guests,

The owner, Rob is a great guy and runs an awesome operation,

We mostly do our own food but they serve awesome food, Dining room/bar is very nice, great staff all around.

They do a shore lunch mid week for everyone.

Nice cabins, Some of the best camp boats I have been in, 16' Starcraft with floors, swivel seats, live well, fish finders, 20hp 4stk electric start Yamaha motors,

We are not going there this year, some of the guys wanted to try a fly-in trip, so we will be going to northern Quebec this year, Just something different.

The fishing around Marten River can be tough. If I were to chose a "back lake" I'd go directly to Wicksteed for pike and pickeral. That's a great Lake!

I know of a few small lakes in the area lakes that hold great numbers of good sized pike and bass, but I won't post them here

Marten Lake has decent walleye and lake trout fishing, and Marten River can be decent for bass and walleye.

You can check out the MNR Fish ON-Line website that could give you an idea of what to expect. They will have stocking information and also the species of fish in that body of water.

http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_online/fishing/fishingExplorer_en.html

There were two lakes situated beside Waterfalls Lodge and you can go the Fish ON-Line website to enter in this coordinate to find the lake. Choose the latitude/longitude in decimals: 46.234, -82.312

As for the Marten River lodge, you can enter in these coordinates to find out about Beach Lake: 46.736, -79.796

​Good luck!

Tizfun, I am booked in a place on the Pickerel River this summer. While searching I found out that the lodges as a group stock it with pickerel, there is great bass and pike fishing.

Check this place out I hear they have a great restaurant .

Old Mirror Lodge by Port Loring. Boat in only.

Regards

----check out wishyouwerefishin on lake Temagami or his flyin trips to mosquito lake or diamond lake

Never tried Mosquito lake but flew in to Diamond several times in the past, it can be a hit or miss, gill netting in the winter was one major cause of low numbers of walleye, specially the larger females, Fishing the rapids in to Lady Evelyn at dusk can be productive some days.