The Massassauga P.P.

jjcanoe

Just wondering if you are allowed to do boat camping at the designated campsites. I was planning a canoe trip up there this year but recently (nearly a month now and improving much slower than I expected) pinched a nerve in my back so portaging, padding, and sitting for long periods is out for me for the foreseeable future. Thought boat camping would be a better option over cancellation, never been to the area before, and it's about time I paid it a visit for some fishing/camping.

Thanks

Yeah, my park map shows the no motor lakes, just wondered about the G-Bay sites. Park regs only seem to define rules for overnight mooring, not camping on the sites. I guess it just means I'm using the site but not canoeing to get there? That is my best interpretation of the rules...

Thanks

Site 511, boat grounded out 15' from shore, 17' Starcraft-about 10 years back now. Other years water levels are higher. No problem with my 20' Flex last summer. Likely not heading there this summer, tried to get my favourite site but struckout out. Will miss the Musky chase...and sooooo many great stories from there- and the damn fish....

IMG_0875.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Love the Massassauga. I take the big boat up to the park and anchor and then hop in the dinghy and spend the day fishing. Don't know about the camping sites but I have seen fishing boats pulled up to shore so they must be OK. If you stay in Port Rawson, watch out for bears though.

As mentioned, you can't access Clear or Spider Lake via motorized boat but there are dozens of nice sites you can anchor or even beach at. Current water levels are high for this time of year, and it'll be interesting to see what it's like in the summer, but it certainly looks like higher water again this year.