Looking for a river casting rod

misfish

Im looking for something to throw body baits like flat fish and quick fish and spinners. Has to have some back bone but light . If that makes sense. Not looking to break the bank on this as well. Prefer something that is 4-8 lb line and 10-12 ft. Is this possible?

Thanks

B

There are a couple of good Rainshadow blanks that will work great for this app.

IST1384F is a 2pce 11 1/2' blank that is a 4-10# and it can also double as a nice small creek or boat CP rod.

I have one I use a lot in Alaska.

IST1202F is a 6-10# 10' rod that will chuck hardware great.

Brian, unless you're planning on swinging spinners in heavier current or require additional casting distance, I don't find longer rods all that useful for casting hardware. If anything, I find longer rods (over 10'6") aren't that accurate when pinpoint casts are necessary, they are heavier in weight and after a long day of casting, you'll feel it. I also find longer rods are generally less sensitive - Not for feeling bites from fish but rather for feeling the action of the lure as you're working it in the river. Using light line when tossing hardware is not necessary...Fish just smash it.

I'm also looking for a better hardware rod for medium sized rivers. My 9' Shimano Convergence has great backbone and is fairly sensitive but it's too stiff for casting smaller lures like size 2-3 spinners accurately. It's a great rod for spoon chucking or tossing bigger plugs in the Niagara though.

Brian, unless you're planning on swinging spinners in heavier current or require additional casting distance, I don't find longer rods all that useful for casting hardware. If anything, I find longer rods (over 10'6") aren't that accurate when pinpoint casts are necessary, they are heavier in weight and after a long day of casting, you'll feel it. I also find longer rods are generally less sensitive - Not for feeling bites from fish but rather for feeling the action of the lure as you're working it in the river. Using light line when tossing hardware is not necessary...Fish just smash it.

I'm also looking for a better hardware rod for medium sized rivers. My 9' Shimano Convergence has great backbone and is fairly sensitive but it's too stiff for casting smaller lures like size 2-3 spinners accurately. It's a great rod for spoon chucking or tossing bigger plugs in the Niagara though.

Your the guy that has me asking this question Mike. Im going to be bringing the float and the casting rod each time I hit the tribes. Just something else to do rather then look at a float going by.

Your the guy that has me asking this question Mike. Im going to be bringing the float and the casting rod each time I hit the tribes. Just something else to do rather then look at a float going by.

Is it because you saw me land hundreds of steelhead using Kwikfish from the Luhr Jensen Company...For all of your Kwikfish needs :D

Is it because you saw me land hundreds of steelhead using Kwikfish from the Luhr Jensen Company...For all of your Kwikfish needs :D

Ok now, dont be a :asshat::lol:

Hardware can be a great producer, I've got a new hardware stick I can't wait to break in.

What did you get Bill?

Another option could be the Fenwick HMX salmon/steelhead series. They have an 8'6" light action that would be good for casting hardware, and won't break the bank. I recently picked up a 9' Fenwick Eagle (decent rod for $80) medium action specifically for spoon fishing. I like a bit more power, and never go less than 10lb for my mainline either. Helps with retreiving lures from snags, generally the hooks straighten before the line breaks.

Im looking for something to throw body baits like flat fish and quick fish and spinners. Has to have some back bone but light . If that makes sense. Not looking to break the bank on this as well. Prefer something that is 4-8 lb line and 10-12 ft. Is this possible?

Thanks

B

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-rods/stickbait/clarus-steelhead-casting.html

Up until a couple of years ago, my grandson and I used the 10' spinning version. Line wise somewhat heavier than what you are looking for.

No need to go 4-8 when chucking hardware. We used 15 lb Power Pro Super Slick 8. (6 lb. equivalent diameter) Tied straight to the snap or swivel. No fluoro. The action of the lures makes the line far less visible. Casts a mile. Makes for fewer lost lures if there are a lot of snags. About $100 each when I bought them. Not sure but I think they're around $120 now.

My son has broken 2 HMX 10.5 footers. I was present for both breaks. One was on a hook set, the other was on a fish. Neither was due to abuse, and both rods where nearly new. Both broke in the exact same place. We sold his last warranty replacement. At that point they had changed the design, but it was a bit of a turn off. I like fenwick rods, but the HMX steelhead series has left a bad taste in my mouth. I did buy a 9 foot eagle casting rod and ran it with a line counter all last season. No complaint with the eagle lineup.

Edited by porkpie

you won't need to worry about light lines when using kwikfish, body baits and spinners, with those types of lures, you're targeting the aggressive fish, and they will hit a lure on a telephone pole, you;re not using roe or flies and trying to be stealthy. get yourself a nice 7 or 8 footer, and have at er.

Ok now, dont be a :asshat::lol:

What did you get Bill?

A buddy of mine built me a custom stick.

ST1203-MHX 10'0" | 6-12 lb. | 3/8 - 3/4 oz

Alps TIY Titanium guides

I've got it paired with a Shimano Sustain 3000FE. Really nice combo.

First person to even land a fish on this thing was my gf, lol! I can't wait to get into some steel with it.

Edited by BillM

A buddy of mine built me a custom stick.

ST1203-MHX 10'0" | 6-12 lb. | 3/8 - 3/4 oz

Alps TIY Titanium guides

I've got it paired with a Shimano Sustain 3000FE. Really nice combo.

First person to even land a fish on this thing was my gf, lol! I can't wait to get into some steel with it.

I built the same stick with a little different components, with a 25ml down to a 8ml rod is excellent, and throws Flatfish and other hardware, but is also a great free drifting rod, or pier bottom rod as well, and will be great for your Jumbo's as well, my guides were American Tackle TICH/TICH, its a multi purpose rod which i was looking for, my has a 2500 Stradic on it, im married with 2 kids one in University and cant afford the Sustain like Billy can LOL

I use a 7'6" mag light loomis IMX Hot Shotting rod for casting flatfish and small spinners (#2 and #3).

I have that paired with a 4000 Ci4 stradic...i need the big reel as we catch lake bows, browns, and small kings that will take 200' in a second....with it being the lake (not piers, but beach shorelines) the fish have full access to run.

I think it I was going to hit "big" rivers ('geen, niagara, dalhousie, bronte, etc) I would throw on a Sustain FE 3000, as I wouldn't need the 4000 sized reel.

Either way, the G Loomis IMX HSR 9000S works as a super nice light bait throwing rod, whether river or lake...

(this is not a casting 3/4 ounce pier cleo rod....just to clarify)

Loomis describes this road as:

When you're looking for a really good spinning rod for steelhead, silvers and other small salmon, this is an excellent choice. It's got a lot of power with our magnum taper design and the tip is light enough to cast spinners, spoons or crankbaits. It is very popular for light-duty saltwater use, fishing jigs, spinnerbaits and spoons for redfish, bonefish and permit. IMX makes it surprisingly light considering how powerful this rod is and it's extremely versatile. There's probably nothing you can't do with it except maybe cast a fly.

Edited by Steve

I picked up a Cabela's fish eagle 50 salmon steelhead 10ft medium action last summer for river casting. Its a really nice rod for the money. I was sceptical of it at first but it is a real nice rod that banked a bunch of bows and salmon last fall. In fact I liked it so much that I picked another of the exact same rod just the bait caster model for my spring trolling in the shallows. It helped that it was on sale and only $106 taxes in out the door.