Some questions about NFLD

Big Cliff

My wife and I honeymooned in Newfoundland. Ten days, landed in St John, rented a car and drive the bonavista peninsula up to twilingate area, up to gros morne, and back.

We're very active, lots of hiking and talking to locals about the local hidden spots. Here's some of my thoughts based on what you've said:

- camping? The provincial parks are the cheapest at around $12./night and great accommodations (washrooms and showers) as most people are RVing. Private campgrounds are hit/miss in quality.

The national park is expensive in comparison.

- in grand falls Windsor there's a great bed and breakfast called the carriage house. It's an excellent stop between at Johns and gros morne.

- I hope you will consider some hiking. Nothing epic or crazy in elevation changes, but bare minimum I recommend getting out and walking the tablelands and the brief walk to the Western Brook pond. Take the boat tour as you'll Anjou some of the Marine history and fishing studies in the pond.

-consider the skerwink trail on the bonavista peninsula. It's not grueling and gives some great coastal views without any crowds.

I can't comment on fishing or other types as we did things in the You may be surprised how little advertising there is once there despite all of the tourism ads here. Aside from St John's, people generally aren't trying to sell you things... And it's great. I have to run for now, but one last thing -- book your Gros morne and St John's stays in advance.

Edit: apologies for tense and grammar errors. Typing on phone with baby in one hand!

Wow, thanks for the info. No apologies necessary and congrats on the baby! As for the hiking, that isn't going to happen unfortunatly, I'm 70, Sue is 69 and neither of us can do a lot of walking anymore. I am surprised that the camp grounds are so reasonable I wonder if driving there and then renting a small trailer would be a cost effective way of doing the trip? Anyone tried it?

And thanks for the congrats!

OK, based on what you've said, maybe write off the Skerwink trail...

I'll try to iron out some recommendations below based on areas that we visited.

Gros Morne National Park

Seeing the tabl lands in Gros Morne Natl Park is worth doing. They do provide guided tours as well. The terrain is as rough as you want it to be in that there are some really smooth trails that you can walk, or you can also go off the beaten path. The attraction here is the geology of the area. The rocks are unique to this region ("the Earth's mantle turned inside out" is one way they describe it). Up to you if that's your cup of tea.

Western Brook Pond involves a flat-ground walk of a few km to the boat tours. It's a must-do for a guy who's curious about fishing. You buy your tickets at the actual pond (at the end of the walk).

If you do find yourself up Gros Morne way (which you should!), check whether the Gros Morne Theatre Festival is under way. We went to a play in Cow Head in this small, 100-seat theatre that was absolutely fantastic... Very, very well done.

Further north is L'Anse aux meadows. We didn't go there because it sound like a stale attraction (we wanted hiking and that sort of activity), but that's a way up the coast from Gros Morne proper. Take a peek at the map and plan accordingly because that's the only thing up there, really.

Another area we visited was Trout Creek in Gros Morne. There was a restaurant recommendation out that way and I'm a sucker for chowder. The restaurant was meh but the added history to that trek is its the site of some whale beachings a few years back. I believe the ROM paid for one of these carcasses to be shipped back to Ontario and it's currently buried underground in southern Ontario to get all of the gunk off and get down to the bones for proper display.

In Rocky Harbour, there's this little restaurant/store that advertises "the best fish cakes" on the island. From our tastebuds, they were. There's also a large fresh water lake with public access just outside the town (ask a local). There are specks in the lake but I think you'd need a boat to have much proper luck. We went for the swim which was nice.

Grand Falls-Windsor

As stated, consider the Carriage House. Gordon Pinsent stays (or stayed?) there frequently. The owner is lovely and the rooms are nice and at a decent rate.

St John's

- Johnson Geo Center in Saint John's: A must-do if you're at all interested in science. LOTS of geology stuff with great tours. They also have a big exhibit about off-shore refinery, tar sands, and so on. I can't remember what else is there but our only regret is that we didn't think it'd take so long and were under-packed for lunch.

- The Rooms: Google search it for the best description, but it's kind of like a museum on NFLD people and culture that's largely being stitched together by the public's own contribution of memoirs, ancestry, and artifacts. Pretty cool if you're into some short stories, but not terrible if you miss it either.

- Restaurant recommendations in Saint John's: Raymond's if you're looking to treat yourself (friends gave us a gift certificate, we other couldn't afford such eating), Get Stuffed if you're looking for a solid restaurant with great prices and good on the palette

- Check out George St... Even if you're not the bar type, there's something for everyone. My wife and I hit a blues bar and it had some solid talent. Ask to get yourself screeched in -- it's a tradition out there that's kinda funny, depending on your tolerance of silliness.

Bonavista Peninsula

If you drive through this peninsula, here are my thoughts:

- Trinity is a nice little town with a great chocolate shop (Aunt Sarah's) and a nice little cafe restaurant. You can walk right into the old village buildings (the church, in particular). They also have the Rising Tide Theatre, but there were no shows playing on the day we were there. There's also a mussel farm clearly visible as you drive into town.

- Lockston Path PP was our favourite park to stay at. Up the road is some private resort called Paradise something or other... stay away.

- In Bonavista proper (on the tip) there's an old-fashioned movie theatre that's a lovely little experience. If you continue driving outside of town, the Dungeon is really worth checking out again from a geology perspective. It's a cool spectacle!

Twillingate

You can see icebergs year round, no matter what people say. The bergs get stuck in the harbours around this area of the island. As you're approaching Twillingate, stop at the tourist information centre and ask them for recent spottings. Driving down some dead-end roads, we were able to get great shots.

If you go to the Twillingate, you have to see Melvin's Museum in Durrell. Me telling you more about this guy will really take away from the experience, but he's a great guy who can tell you all about the cod fishery in the early days. Bring a small memento for his museum and if there's an iceberg in the area, he'll gladly take you out in his boat. Many famous folk have visited his museum and they all have left photos, mementos, etc. Do it!

There's a small clubhouse kind of like our Rotary clubs in Twillingate proper that does old fashioned shows (dancing, singing, silly comedy). Not a bad little date night to soak in some local culture.

Misc. Tips

Be sure to pack a rain jacket. When it rains, it may or may not pour, but it definitely "misty rains" which is notorious for the coast. Good to have some waterproof breathables.
In St John's, consider staying at Memorial University if you want cheap, but book early. They're basic dorms with thin mattress so again, only if you want cheap.
We're convinced every winery is a berry winery. I don't think the climate permits grapes, but the berry wines in Durrell/Twillingate area were excellent.
The moose warnings are to be heeded, but we didn't see many roadside dangers at all. The roadside is generally cleared a fair distance, too. Just be cautious if you do any night driving as the roads fog up too.
Depending on where you're going, gas up regularly. Along the main stretch of highway, you shouldn't have any issues. But if you offshoot for a local's recommended sight-to-see, make sure you've got the gas to get back!
Here's a map i made that guided us along the way. I haven't updated it since we got back, but theres some good stuff there.

Thats great info from a tourists point of view. Good stuff.

All i want to do when i get there is go home. The whole tourist thing doesnt appeal to me at all. The last time i was there, i stayed 3 weeks, and never left my dads property except to make a beer run or go out in the boat. I grew up 5 miles from lanse aux meadows and have never been there. I hear its pretty great though.....

S.

You're gonna love it Cliff.

I've been twice. My favorite attraction was taking the road from Port Aux Basques towards Borgeo along Red Indian Lake. Pull over and camp wherever you want, have as big a campfire as you want, and pluck Atlantic Salmon from the rivers you cross.

I guess flights to Newfieland are dear. A flight from Hamilton to Halifax is cheap. The last time I went 2 years ago was 350 return each from Hamilton on West Jet. Less than the price of gas let alone rooms and wear and tear on the car. I wouldn't take my 4X4 that was under warranty because of the fuel cost and the car is getting up there in K's and I worry about a breakdown. Heck a tranny now is 4 grand or more. So now I always fly and rent where ever I go. Years ago I flew to California and did the US 1 coastal highway for a 4 week break. Bought a nice classic for $1000.00 bucks in Sacramento and registered it and then insured it from here, on the way to the airport I sold it at a lot for 600 bucks cash. Think outside the box.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

And thanks for the congrats!

OK, based on what you've said, maybe write off the Skerwink trail...

I'll try to iron out some recommendations below based on areas that we visited.

Gros Morne National Park

Seeing the tabl lands in Gros Morne Natl Park is worth doing. They do provide guided tours as well. The terrain is as rough as you want it to be in that there are some really smooth trails that you can walk, or you can also go off the beaten path. The attraction here is the geology of the area. The rocks are unique to this region ("the Earth's mantle turned inside out" is one way they describe it). Up to you if that's your cup of tea.

Western Brook Pond involves a flat-ground walk of a few km to the boat tours. It's a must-do for a guy who's curious about fishing. You buy your tickets at the actual pond (at the end of the walk).

If you do find yourself up Gros Morne way (which you should!), check whether the Gros Morne Theatre Festival is under way. We went to a play in Cow Head in this small, 100-seat theatre that was absolutely fantastic... Very, very well done.

Further north is L'Anse aux meadows. We didn't go there because it sound like a stale attraction (we wanted hiking and that sort of activity), but that's a way up the coast from Gros Morne proper. Take a peek at the map and plan accordingly because that's the only thing up there, really.

Another area we visited was Trout Creek in Gros Morne. There was a restaurant recommendation out that way and I'm a sucker for chowder. The restaurant was meh but the added history to that trek is its the site of some whale beachings a few years back. I believe the ROM paid for one of these carcasses to be shipped back to Ontario and it's currently buried underground in southern Ontario to get all of the gunk off and get down to the bones for proper display.

In Rocky Harbour, there's this little restaurant/store that advertises "the best fish cakes" on the island. From our tastebuds, they were. There's also a large fresh water lake with public access just outside the town (ask a local). There are specks in the lake but I think you'd need a boat to have much proper luck. We went for the swim which was nice.

Grand Falls-Windsor

As stated, consider the Carriage House. Gordon Pinsent stays (or stayed?) there frequently. The owner is lovely and the rooms are nice and at a decent rate.

St John's

- Johnson Geo Center in Saint John's: A must-do if you're at all interested in science. LOTS of geology stuff with great tours. They also have a big exhibit about off-shore refinery, tar sands, and so on. I can't remember what else is there but our only regret is that we didn't think it'd take so long and were under-packed for lunch.

- The Rooms: Google search it for the best description, but it's kind of like a museum on NFLD people and culture that's largely being stitched together by the public's own contribution of memoirs, ancestry, and artifacts. Pretty cool if you're into some short stories, but not terrible if you miss it either.

- Restaurant recommendations in Saint John's: Raymond's if you're looking to treat yourself (friends gave us a gift certificate, we other couldn't afford such eating), Get Stuffed if you're looking for a solid restaurant with great prices and good on the palette

- Check out George St... Even if you're not the bar type, there's something for everyone. My wife and I hit a blues bar and it had some solid talent. Ask to get yourself screeched in -- it's a tradition out there that's kinda funny, depending on your tolerance of silliness.

Bonavista Peninsula

If you drive through this peninsula, here are my thoughts:

- Trinity is a nice little town with a great chocolate shop (Aunt Sarah's) and a nice little cafe restaurant. You can walk right into the old village buildings (the church, in particular). They also have the Rising Tide Theatre, but there were no shows playing on the day we were there. There's also a mussel farm clearly visible as you drive into town.

- Lockston Path PP was our favourite park to stay at. Up the road is some private resort called Paradise something or other... stay away.

- In Bonavista proper (on the tip) there's an old-fashioned movie theatre that's a lovely little experience. If you continue driving outside of town, the Dungeon is really worth checking out again from a geology perspective. It's a cool spectacle!

Twillingate

You can see icebergs year round, no matter what people say. The bergs get stuck in the harbours around this area of the island. As you're approaching Twillingate, stop at the tourist information centre and ask them for recent spottings. Driving down some dead-end roads, we were able to get great shots.

If you go to the Twillingate, you have to see Melvin's Museum in Durrell. Me telling you more about this guy will really take away from the experience, but he's a great guy who can tell you all about the cod fishery in the early days. Bring a small memento for his museum and if there's an iceberg in the area, he'll gladly take you out in his boat. Many famous folk have visited his museum and they all have left photos, mementos, etc. Do it!

There's a small clubhouse kind of like our Rotary clubs in Twillingate proper that does old fashioned shows (dancing, singing, silly comedy). Not a bad little date night to soak in some local culture.

Misc. Tips

Be sure to pack a rain jacket. When it rains, it may or may not pour, but it definitely "misty rains" which is notorious for the coast. Good to have some waterproof breathables.
In St John's, consider staying at Memorial University if you want cheap, but book early. They're basic dorms with thin mattress so again, only if you want cheap.
We're convinced every winery is a berry winery. I don't think the climate permits grapes, but the berry wines in Durrell/Twillingate area were excellent.
The moose warnings are to be heeded, but we didn't see many roadside dangers at all. The roadside is generally cleared a fair distance, too. Just be cautious if you do any night driving as the roads fog up too.
Depending on where you're going, gas up regularly. Along the main stretch of highway, you shouldn't have any issues. But if you offshoot for a local's recommended sight-to-see, make sure you've got the gas to get back!
Here's a map i made that guided us along the way. I haven't updated it since we got back, but theres some good stuff there.

Thank you so very much for this, I really appreciate it! I've printed it off along with the map and it is now part of our pre trip package!

Here are a few url's and pointers from trip last year from Southern Ontario:

-if driving through Quebec, make sure you take the highway 30 toll route around Montreal, there and back.

-rose motel - edmundston, n.b. -Nothing fancy - good place to crash -
http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Products/R/Rose-Motel-Cabin.aspx

-port hawkesbury - causeway inn - AVOID!!! - toilet next to wall, right handed person can't wipe ass, seat would not stay up so urinated into recycling bin and poured into toilet. Go to this place instead -
-port hawkesbury / auld's cove cove motel - get cabin, not room - great food, water view restaurant - internet very poor
http://www.covemotel.com/

Spend a day on the Cabot Trail.

-north sydney, nova scotia - macneils motel - very good place to stay waiting for Nfld. ferry
http://macneilsmotel.com/

-hotel port aux basques - room 101 - next to exit for easy loading - all rooms small - good food - not many choices in this community - stay here on way over, st. christopher's hotel on way back.
http://hotel-port-aux-basques.com/

-parsons harbour view cabins - room 1 - best view of rocky harbour from kitchen table separate bedroom,living room - excellent place and less expensive than other options in town.
http://www.staygrosmorne.ca/

(we did not stay at the Shallow Bay Motel in Cow Head this trip as it was fully booked by a bus tour. Still looks like a good place though, although I would now recommend Rocky Harbour as a better spot for amenities)

-haven motel - st. anthony - room 137 - efficiency suite 2 rooms mini kitchen etc. next to exit for easy loading, close to tim hortons, gas, mall and fast food
http://www.haveninn.ca/

-Lanse aux Meadows Viking Settlement - lots of walking however.

-By the sea inn and cafe - kings point -room #1 jacuzzi room best view - restaurant good - wifi internet not working
One of the best places we stayed - construction on new rooms might be a problem for noise, but location can't be beat.
http://www.bythesearesort.ca/

-murray premises - st.john's - room 311 - harbour view if you crane your neck - bring a fan - no microwave - internet works well- parking excellent which is good as most touristy things are in walking distance and you really don't want to drive downtown St. John's.
http://murraypremiseshotel.com/

-excellent seafood crepe at this place:
http://www.portobellosrestaurant.ca/menu.html
http://www.portobellosrestaurant.ca/

- on the way back got a very good 'package' which included 2 nights accomodation, zip lining over mountains -lots of fun especially if you don't like heights - and an elevated obstacle course here:

-marble mountain villa - zip line - spider challenge -
bring drinking water - good room and activity deal - try it! All you do is hang in the harness!
http://marbleziptours.com/zip-line-tours/
http://marbleziptours.com/?wptheme=Marble+Zip+Summer+Theme
http://www.skimarble.com/summer/marble-villa

--st. christopher's hotel, port aux basques
http://www.stchrishotel.com/ comparable to hotel port aux basques,
-harbour view restaurant down the hill - good view, food not good, bar downstairs is better.

-back to port hastings - canso causeway
-port hawkesbury / auld's cove cove motel - get cabin, not room - great food, water view restaurant - internet very poor

From here to Edmonston N.B. again -
Motel la Roma - decent overnight accomodation

-back to Ontario - most of the way to Newfoundland from Ontario is now four lane with a 30 minute patch between Quebec and New Brunswick two lane with plenty of passing lanes, then four lane most of the way to North Sydney and the ferry with about the last 100 km's or so two lane with lots of passing lanes.

-trans Canada highway across Newfoundland is two lane with very frequent passing lanes -

Costs - spent on average between $200-$250 a day - food in restaurants fairly expensive - most accomodations in the $100 - $130 per night amount - gas $1.20 - $1.26 a liter - might be cheaper this year (some plan in Atlantic Canada to stabilize gas prices between provinces)

Edited by blue pickeral

Here are a few url's and pointers from trip last year from Southern Ontario:

-if driving through Quebec, make sure you take the highway 30 toll route around Montreal, there and back.

-rose motel - edmundston, n.b. -Nothing fancy - good place to crash -

http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Products/R/Rose-Motel-Cabin.aspx

-port hawkesbury - causeway inn - AVOID!!! - toilet next to wall, right handed person can't wipe ass, seat would not stay up so urinated into recycling bin and poured into toilet. Go to this place instead -

Spend a day on the Cabot Trail.

-north sydney, nova scotia - macneils motel - very good place to stay waiting for Nfld. ferry

http://macneilsmotel.com/

-hotel port aux basques - room 101 - next to exit for easy loading - all rooms small - good food - not many choices in this community - stay here on way over, st. christopher's hotel on way back.

http://hotel-port-aux-basques.com/

-parsons harbour view cabins - room 1 - best view of rocky harbour from kitchen table separate bedroom,living room - excellent place and less expensive than other options in town.

http://www.staygrosmorne.ca/

(we did not stay at the Shallow Bay Motel in Cow Head this trip as it was fully booked by a bus tour. Still looks like a good place though, although I would now recommend Rocky Harbour as a better spot for amenities)

-haven motel - st. anthony - room 137 - efficiency suite 2 rooms mini kitchen etc. next to exit for easy loading, close to tim hortons, gas, mall and fast food

http://www.haveninn.ca/

-Lanse aux Meadows Viking Settlement - lots of walking however.

-By the sea inn and cafe - kings point -room #1 jacuzzi room best view - restaurant good - wifi internet not working

One of the best places we stayed - construction on new rooms might be a problem for noise, but location can't be beat.

http://www.bythesearesort.ca/

-murray premises - st.john's - room 311 - harbour view if you crane your neck - bring a fan - no microwave - internet works well- parking excellent which is good as most touristy things are in walking distance and you really don't want to drive downtown St. John's.

http://murraypremiseshotel.com/

-excellent seafood crepe at this place:

http://www.portobellosrestaurant.ca/menu.html

http://www.portobellosrestaurant.ca/

- on the way back got a very good 'package' which included 2 nights accomodation, zip lining over mountains -lots of fun especially if you don't like heights - and an elevated obstacle course here:

-marble mountain villa - zip line - spider challenge -

bring drinking water - good room and activity deal - try it! All you do is hang in the harness!

http://marbleziptours.com/zip-line-tours/

http://marbleziptours.com/?wptheme=Marble+Zip+Summer+Theme

http://www.skimarble.com/summer/marble-villa

--st. christopher's hotel, port aux basques

http://www.stchrishotel.com/ comparable to hotel port aux basques,

-harbour view restaurant down the hill - good view, food not good, bar downstairs is better.

-back to port hastings - canso causeway

From here to Edmonston N.B. again -

Motel la Roma - decent overnight accomodation

-back to Ontario - most of the way to Newfoundland from Ontario is now four lane with a 30 minute patch between Quebec and New Brunswick two lane with plenty of passing lanes, then four lane most of the way to North Sydney and the ferry with about the last 100 km's or so two lane with lots of passing lanes.

-trans Canada highway across Newfoundland is two lane with very frequent passing lanes -

Costs - spent on average between $200-$250 a day - food in restaurants fairly expensive - most accomodations in the $100 - $130 per night amount - gas $1.20 - $1.26 a liter - might be cheaper this year (some plan in Atlantic Canada to stabilize gas prices between provinces)

I can't believe all the help we are getting on this, thank you so much! This is another one we'll be printing out as part of our pre trip planning package. It really helps to have the "go to" and the "DO NOT go to" advice!

On these threads you reap what you sow Cliff. Over the years you have offered great advice and gone out of your way to help so many. Hope that you and Sue have a great trip we will compare notes when we return Mid Sept....

A couple of quick comments:

Rivière-du-Loup is about 1/2 way when driving from the GTA. Lots of motels there.

If you start sight-seeing in the Maritimes(Cabot Trail etc) you'll never make it to Nfld.

That's why we are doing Nova Scotia and PEI this year and Nfld next..

That's why we are doing Nova Scotia and PEI this year and Nfld next..

I'll get Sue to dig out our notes on NS & PEI, we had such a wonderful time it was actually hard for us not to just go back. While we loved everywhere we went I have to say PEI was probably the best for us, we got there and didn't want to leave at all. Fishing for cod and mackerel (and I caught plenty $45.00 for a half day and they cleaned them and everything. The clam digging excursion was a little expensive, $75.00/person but they took us out and we spent a few hours digging clams, then went back to their house and had a wonderful dinner, fresh steamed clams, clam chowder, (there was other food too but I can't even remember all of it, I ate so many clams I could hardly walk LOL). We found a really nice little motel right in Charlottetown was about $75.00 a night, clean quiet, beautiful gardens, 5 minutes to Walmart........ 1 minute walk to Tims.

We did the Labrador drive three years ago in July. Still some 0 degree nights but no issues. The gravel road was in better condition than most roads in Toronto. The only bad part was for about 50 km just outside of Happy Valley as they were still in the process of blasting and digging. Took 4 hours to go the 50 km but they just kept pulling all the equipment out of the way as we went along. Free camping along it's entire length in any of the gravel pits. Best road side fishing ever. Pike and Lake trout in every single culvert/lake we stopped at. A whole bunch of brook trout as well. It was 13 hours from Toronto to the ferry at Matane, QC. Only had one night where we got eaten alive by mosquitos. The tent trailer had 7 blown tires over this trip as the gravel road really heated the tires. Luckily we found 5 tires and rims for sale in Happy Valley but they all burst too but still made it back. NFL camping was about 40 bucks a night with full amenities.

If you start sight-seeing in the Maritimes(Cabot Trail etc) you'll never make it to Nfld.

Agree generally, however as the ferry crossing costs you two days - assuming day crossing - night before motel - cross all day - night in motel on landing. A drive around Cabot Trail uses the time spent waiting for your pre-crossing motel (in this case in North Sydney)

Drive the Cabot Trail clockwise - best scenary this way and what a drive it will be, with a stop for lunch at this place:

http://www.rustyanchor.co/

cabot trail (Medium) (Small).png

which is about half way around. Make sure you have good brakes for the trip - many steep hills as road hugs the coast line.

(they advertise the lobster rolls at the Rusty Anchor - while very good, are not using the authentic bun bread as they do in Maine)

Edited by blue pickeral

I've spent 4 weeks total in NFLD and it's a great place. I really enjoyed picking mussels and snails, jigging for cod and mackerel, casting into pools with so many brookies the water was black, seeing moose every other day, viewing whales a few different times, getting within spitting distance of a 15 ft basking shark, and hanging out with very nice people. Lobster straight from the traps into the boiling water on the beach is heavenly.

The best way to see the rock is to make friends with a newfie around your home town and get them to set you up with people back home in NFLD. They'll likely let you stay for free, feed you until you're ready to burst, and force you to have a good time...

I've spent 4 weeks total in NFLD and it's a great place. I really enjoyed picking mussels and snails, jigging for cod and mackerel, casting into pools with so many brookies the water was black, seeing moose every other day, viewing whales a few different times, getting within spitting distance of a 15 ft basking shark, and hanging out with very nice people. Lobster straight from the traps into the boiling water on the beach is heavenly.

The best way to see the rock is to make friends with a newfie around your home town and get them to set you up with people back home in NFLD. They'll likely let you stay for free, feed you until you're ready to burst, and force you to have a good time...

Picking mussles and snails, jigging cod and mackerel, catching a few nice brook trout for dinner; sounds like the perfect vacation to me!