Scam nf

dave524

Any unknown number, or number blocked, private number, or even a number I don't recognize, I always answer the phone with "RCMP telephone fraud division, how can I help you?" The next thing I usually hear is a click or dial tone. This seems to work with all but the robo-calls where you've won a criuse. Haven't had a telemarketing call to my cell phone in over 2 years now, they must put your number on a 'telemarketers do not call list' and pass it along to their buddies.....

Oh, and on the off chance they do begin to speak, start asking them for office address, locations info, parent company names and supervisor names, explain to them there's an ongoing multinational fraud investigation into their company and employees, and he will be a big help getting everyone there arrested and brought to justice. Be relentless until they hang up, which shouldn't take very long.

The perpetrators don't care because they know that they are safe offshore and there is virtually no effort by law enforcement to prosecute them because it is basically a futile effort. Your only defense is to educate your kids and elderly parents in their tactics and don't give out any info on the phone.

The latest one going around is they call you in the middle of the night and tell you your credit card has been used. I told them I had multiple cards at different banks and asked which card; they hung up.

Edited by G.mech

Jjcanoe, that's a good one. Although I don't get any calls like that on my cell, I'll definitely try that line if I'm at my parents. They seem to get bombarded with those calls. I don't have a house phone for that reason..... Makes me sick, those scum bags!

kinda funny also when a friend or the dentist office calls you up and asks "Umm, is uhhhh John there?

The perpetrators don't care because they know that they are safe offshore and there is virtually no effort by law enforcement to prosecute them because it is basically a futile effort. Your only defense is to educate your kids and elderly parents in their tactics and don't give out any info on the phone.

The latest one going around is they call you in the middle of the night and tell you your credit card has been used. I told them I had multiple cards at different banks and asked which card; they hung up.

Make sure they hear front and center 'Multinational investigation' they hang up fast...

why aren't the police all over these guys? Of all the things to go after, this should be one of them.

My mother was getting the CRA scam when it first started a couple of years ago now and the OPP fraud investigator told her that the majority of these calls originate from other countries so there is little chance they will be caught and even less of chance of them being prosecuted (basically they are wasting their time investigating). The guy that was bilked this week in the credit card call scam was sending his money by wire to China...not much the local cops can do.

http://www.680news.com/2016/03/16/halton-senior-nearly-loses-8900-in-telephone-scam/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/new-credit-card-phishing-scam-hits-canada-1.2930562

Edited by G.mech

These scams often occur from various countries which makes it virtually impossible to catch them.

Jj that great im gonna try that!

I love trolling these people???

One time, when me gramps was about 75, I lived with him to help him out since gna passed.

This dood calls and wants to switch over my gramps phone to another company, of course its cheaper but they want 400 bucks up front.

Well me and a bud were into a few beers and I trolled that guy hard for like 45 mins.

I just kept saying we were interested to keep him on the line.

Oh the shananigans we pulled on that evil prick

Good times?

why aren't the police all over these guys? Of all the things to go after, this should be one of them.

They'll never catch them. People just need to use a little common sense and if in doubt, ask questions. Call CRA, they'll tell you they'd never solicit like this.

Female voice " this is an important message regarding your current credit card ............ SLAM " getting this one with regularity lately, as well as air duct cleaning services that sounds like they are based out of India or Pakistan but with Wasp sounding names. Oh, and getting the mailman hand deliver to our door 5 or 6 pieces of mail and lucky if 1 has our name on it :wallbash:

I love the duct cleaning call. We don't have ducts we have geese. I do have to remember these folks are doing a job to pay the bills, a crappy job but at least they are working and not thieving except the scammers. I love when they do call from offshore somewhere and struggle in English and tell you their name is "Scott" or "Alice", yea right Scott. I just tell them hold on I'll get him and yell "John, phone's for you", then put it next to the TV and leave it there. When I did have a land line I was in the book as J.A. Di**????****. When someone called asking for Mr. J.A. I knew they got it from the phone book, same as mail to J.A. Di&&&^^7000. Easy way to screen unsolicited calls and mail.

The sad part is that it is often seniors that fall victum to these things. Most of us grew up in a world where people helped people not people lied to and scamed people. Most of us grew up trusting others and because of that we tend to think that other people think the way we do.

The best way I found to get the "cold calls" to stop from the duct guys and others like them is as follows. "Oh, my (father or son depends on your age) is your biggest competitor in this area and he'd be thrilled to know about your promotions! So you do understand why I'll never use your services..." And as simple as that they have never called back...

Years ago I'd say "Oh, my father is your biggest competitor in this area and he'd kill me if I used you guys!!!! So you do understand why I can never use your services..."

It's funny when they start naming other local business asking "is it _____ he owns?"

with all the different ways of communicating these days, the phone's kinda an antiquated device is it not? particularly a land line which i havent had in years. if i don't recognize the number, it's private, or unknown it just doesn't get answered. if it's important they'll leave a msg.

Edited by Raf

I get the duct cleaning calls about 10 times a week.

Sometimes I'll put on a Japanese accent and say "I no have duck. I have dog. He creen he self"

One time I let them tell me all about their promotion and made it sound like I was interested. They asked how many square feet my home was. I said 1.2 million and 257 rooms. For some reason they hung up.

My favourite was letting them do their speech and then I said I wasn't interested. But hey, I have this fridge for sale. It's 36" wide, energy star compliant and I will let it go for cheap. When they said they didn't want my fridge I asked if they wanted to buy a lawnmower. Finally he said "why are you doing this?" I said "i said no to your service but you kept pushing. I thought I'd do the same to you". Silence. Then I said "so do you want the lawnmower?" He hung up. Lol

Edited by ccmt