Mitchell Lake - Kirkfield

Rizzo

Last summer we started to look at possibly buying a cottage and mainly considered Head L or Rush L. When nothing on those 2 lakes met our criteria, we expanded the search to include Mitchell Lake. We did go out and look at one and were happy with it, but it ended up going off the market before we could take a closer look. One of my criteria is that the water is deep enough off the dock for the kids to fish, but also clean enough for swimming. That cottage seemed to actually have that....which shocked me because the one time I fished Mitchell it was like a 3 foot deep bog. The cottage is located in a bay way at the far end of Mitchell, there is a dam down there. I think you have to go through a small channel to access that bay, and the time I fished there we never went that far. Were my eyes deceiving me? (is that bay weed infested like the rest of the lake?) or is there actually some decent water down there for the kids to enjoy. I know this is a pretty specific question but if anyone has knowledge of that area please respond either here or pm!

Very weedy on the right and shallow by docks. There's a place on left at the pt just before the dam, is some what like you are looking for.

They draw down Mitchel so all your shore is dry right now. Wouldn't be bad time to go look when the ice comes off.

The barrier/dam is at Balsam end of channel. They remove it late April early May.

Sorry Garnet, are you talking about the same bay I am talking about? Not sure what you mean by "on the right" or on the left and that the dam is at the balsam end of channel. The bay I am talking about is at the very northern part of Mitchell, and the dam is at the most northern part of that bay (so nowhere near the channel from Mitchell to Balsam). Looks pretty permanent from what I could see and it separates Mitchell from some little creek/river. From what I saw, in that bay there are only cottages on what I would call the south shore (or maybe its more like the east shore?...gotta go look at a map to get my bearings!)

The "bay" you are talking about is actually the creek channel, part of the Talbot River, widened due to the dam. There is 5 feet of water in the middle before the dam, but most of that area is shallower than that. There is a portion of Mitchell that has water from 9 to 14 feet, in the largest section on the north side of the highway, but most of the lake is 1 to 6 feet and weedy. We owned a cottage there until I was 15, in the fall and now you can walk along the shoreline as the water draw down exposes the lake bottom.

Between Mitchell and Balsam, in the canal, there is a set of guard gates they close during the draw down to keep Mitchell from draining too much.

thanks Big Guy. The one time I fished there we did find that deep hole and spent most of our time there (we wanted to troll rather than cast). When I looked at that cottage the water in that area looked surprisingly good (3 to 4 feet deep at end of dock, sandy, and dropping away). Of course 10 feet out for all I know it came back up to 3 feet and was super weedy. We had a look at it in early fall, so weeds may have started to die down and made the waterfront look more appealing than what it really is.

That bay you are talking about at north end. There's 8 -10 cottages on the right "by boat" very shallow and the shore is dry land until the pull the barrier at Balsam.

You will see a pt on the left just before the dam drops into that creek channel talked about. Everything from this pt back to main lake is shallow and baron.

I've fished Mitchell a lot except that point at north end the rest doesn't really meet your needs.

Have you looked at Dalrymple all of Avery pt would meet your swimming needs.

Thanks Garnet. Wasn't sure if we talking about same spot but now I see we are. I have wavered on putting Dalrymple on the list. I have looked at places on line but not been in person. It meets most of my requirements (decent waterfront for swimming and fishing, under 300k, west side of kawarthas) but lacks a couple requirements (decent musky fishing, small sheltered area where you don't worry about the kids out on a paddle boat). The Mitchell one (one of those 8-10) really interested me because of the sheltered nature of that bay, looks like minimal boating would happen in there so you wouldn't worry about the kids floating around in a paddleboat or canoe.

Dalrymple is a much nicer lake than Mitchell, and has some decent fishing, and deep water for swimming. I would take it over Mitchell.

Edit: I don't fish musky, but Mitchell is hammer handle pike territory. I've would think you have a better shot at a musky in Dalrymple. I've seen guys chucking huge musky cranks there before.

Edited by Dutch01

Hi Dutch. The benefit of Mitchell is how it is connected to Balsam. When it's dad's turn to fish thats where I would be headed. Not too concerned about the Mitchell fishing other can the kids get sunfish and bass off the dock. Having said that, once the ice is off, I will have a look at some of the places on dalrymple.

I agree it would be nice to boat to Balsam (that's my "home lake "). Don't sell Dalrymple short though. I have a soft spot for that lake, I've had some good days there.

I noticed a bunch of for sale signs around Mitchell when I was fishing Balsam last fall. What put me off was it seemed like every cottage on Mitchell was for sale, and that made me think "what do they all know that I don't know?".

I agree it would be nice to boat to Balsam (that's my "home lake "). Don't sell Dalrymple short though. I have a soft spot for that lake, I've had some good days there.

A friend had place on north part of Dalrymple. Caught big crappie, big smallmouth and largemouth. Some walleye but tons of hammerhandle pike. Musky are hard to find. Good times still.

I don't like any of those lakes for musky. Of all the kawartha's, they would be way down at the bottom of my list for sure. Sorry, but that's my opinion of them.

For another half hour drive you could be on some much nicer lakes IMO.

S.

I don't like any of those lakes for musky. Of all the kawartha's, they would be way down at the bottom of my list for sure. Sorry, but that's my opinion of them.

For another half hour drive you could be on some much nicer lakes IMO.

S.

Agreed, I want suggesting it was a musky lake. I was suggesting another small and relatively affordable lake near the one he was thinking of.

Not sure how much waterfront on pigeon or buckhorn is but I'm betting its at least double what Dalrymple costs.

Edited by Dutch01

I am aware there are a remnant of musky left in Dalrymple, but it sounds like they are few and far between. Having said that, you guys are starting to persuade me because as far as cottage/lot go, Dalrymple gets you more for your money. Guess its only a short jaunt to some of the other lakes for a quick evening or morning of musky fishing. Head Lake is the one that has me scratching my head...not a big lake, very dangerous with shoals, most of the waterfronts I saw aren't great, further from Toronto...but cottages are far more $$$ than Dalrymple

Best thing about Dalrymple: Since it's completely isolated from any other waterbody, you don't get all the touristy boat traffic that the Trent-Severn system gets.

Worst thing about Dalrymple: Since it's completely isolated from any other waterbody, you can't get anywhere else without hauling the boat out of the water and trailering someplace else.

A little Yin, a little Yang.