Miami fishing charter recommendations

msp

Hey guys,

Planning a stag in Miami for 4 days in late April.

I have been volentold to plan a day fishing on a saltwater charter out of Miami.

Does anyone have any charter recommendations ?

Also, what would we be expecting to fish for?

Thanks,

I never did a charter out of miami but about an hour north I used to go on the party boats out of Lantana all the time. The guys drifting sardines would get kingfish, dolphin fish (mahi mahi), barracuda, bonita, barracuda, and the odd shark, wahoo or sailfish. The guys bottom fishing were getting grouper, snapper, triggerfish and other goofy looking bottom dwellers (squirrelfish I think was one of them). If you are doing a private charter i imagine they mainly troll for the first species I listed...kingfish etc

I went out twice a few years ago in March from Miami Beach on party boats, and it really wasn't very good. I think I caught 3 fish in a total of 10 hours fishing and nothing caught on the boat was very big. Someone did catch a small shark, and we saw a 8 foot hammerhead very close to the boat on the surface, but the actual fishing was not great. On one trip we went out at midnight and I think that is when I caught the fish, the one during the day was rubbish. We did drive down to the keys, cannot remember where exactly, but a private charter came in with at least 20 mahi mahi. If you have time, what drifter said.

If you wanna go inshore for Snook and Tarpon hit up Jeff Magio aka Lunkerdog. I did a 5 hour charter with him out of Miami and it was a blast, was just around $500 if I recall, so relatively cheap and he's quite the charcter. Check out his youtube videos!

I did a deep sea charter for our group of 5 and we ended up doing a lot of trolling. We trolled for mahi mahi, tuna, and eventually got into a hammerhead. It took two hours to troll for the hammerhead.

I'd recommend reef fishing if you can.

The best part was getting back to the marina where other charters were selling fresh raw tuna to people passing by.

One of the best restaurants I ate at was Yardbirds. Amazing southern comfort food with some nice liquor behind the bar. I ate there twice during my brief stay there. The Latin food was amazing as well.

Fun times indeed down in Miami!